Prometheus Tourque up Gears, are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Sgt.Korn, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Sgt.Korn

Sgt.Korn New Member

Reichenau/Rax
    I'm currently working on a high fps setup and obviously need better gears, I looked around for some time and now I want to know are Prometheus gears really worth it or is it better to go with a cheaper variant like SHS or Guarder?
    (the gears should be able to withstand M190 springs and higher)

2. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    If you’re going to spend money on gears, it’s either big $$$ on siegetek or low $$$ on Shs or zci. The middle ground like prommy or Lonex not worth it.

Good ht motor (24+tpa) & beefy 11.1 will pull m170 full stroke on standard 18:1 gears. Would probably pull a m190.

Why do you want to run m190 or higher?

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.

3. NeoAugAU-3G

NeoAugAU-3G Active Member

Las Vegas
    I've run a prommy 150 spring on 13:1s using an echo 1 high torque motor without issue. High torque gears are rarely needed. an m190 spring will cause a lot more wear and tear on a gearbox than you think. if you want evidence then look up tackets dmr build on the forum here. he ran an m190 in an aug and to my knowledge never had it working properly for more than a week before something broke. you are better off sticking to a 150.

4. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Pulling the spring won't be the real challenge, getting the damn thing in there will be a real pain though. I had a Guarder SP150 (close to an M170 in power), on 12:1 ratio gears with a cyma neo magnet motor, it pulled it back just fine. You'll also need an extremely strong piston and gearbox shell for it to be somewhat reliable. I'm guessing this is just an experimental setup for "backyard plinking"?

Prometheus gears should be good quality, but at that price point you might as well go with SC. Lonex gears have surprisingly poor quality control and I definitely don't recommend them. My favorite gears to date are 3rd gen SHS gears, that was their best generation IMO. Their 4th gen gears are better on paper, but seems to have slightly worse QC.

5. Uller

Uller Well-Known Member

Topeka
    Prometheus gears are pretty good gears,ran them yrs ago along with Systemas when those were the benchmark.Like Systemas they are made to very high tolerance,and require a lot of skill to shim correctly without breaking anything.Unless you've been shimming for a long time I would avoid them.Pay the extra money and get the Siegeteks if you want extraordinarily strong gears.

6. Uller

Uller Well-Known Member

Topeka

7. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Siegetek gears are definitely strong, but one downside I have noticed is that it's a bit difficult to make them run smoothly. It's my theory that the upper teeth on the bevel gear are a bit too "square", seems to wear in a bit over time though.

8. Sgt.Korn

Sgt.Korn New Member

Reichenau/Rax
    Thx for all the help. Guess I'll go with a strong shell and siegetek gears then.:):)