Prone?

Discussion in 'Tactics & Strategies' started by UHRain, Nov 2, 2012.

1. UHRain

UHRain New Member

In airsoft is going prone better then crouch.

2. Scarred

Scarred New Member

What do you mean? Is it better for taking cover or moving around or loading magazines from?

3. shlunka

shlunka New Member

Raphine
    For sniping, the smaller silhoutte is advantageous. However for regular field play as an "assault" type role, you'll just end up getting a bunch of bruises from trying to go prone quickly.

4. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Don't forget urban prone, which is often useful in tighter quarters:

[​IMG]

5. shlunka

shlunka New Member

Raphine
    He looks like a hardass :p, I can definitely see the use of that, but on hard floor, ouch.

6. Frostbite1

Frostbite1 New Member

Frisco
    The main reason why he's in that position is that in combat they use their shins and lower part of their legs as "cover" so if a bullet were to hit them, the bullet will go into their legs instead of vital origins.

7. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    ^ Truth. The position also allows you to get under a barrier like a car without bumping your magazine on the ground positioning your head at full tilt up from your body, making it taller. You can get your rifle closer to the ground and shoot under lower stuff in an urban prone position.

8. shlunka

shlunka New Member

Raphine
    But wouldn't this kinda destroy the usage of hop-up if the target is over 50-80ft away :p

9. Hartman96

Hartman96 New Member

Woodville
    Going prone is good for almost anytime. Bullets (real and airsoft bbs) have a tendency to curve upwards. So going prone allows you to become a smaller target and also give you a more stable shooting platform for more accurate shooting.

10. naamtune

naamtune New Member

Redlands
    I have never seen or tried that before. Would that position makes it easier to position and stabilize your gun therefore increasing accuracy by positioning the rifle between your knees?

11. McGee

McGee New Member

San Francisco
    Smaller silhouette means I have to take more time to aim. So, prone is better than crouch.

Non-moving targets are easier to aim at - so crouching lets you move faster and it's harder to track and hit.

There is no answer to your question, other than 'it depends'.

Finally, there is a way to get on the ground in less than a second without hurting yourself. You can be prone, aiming and shooting in 2 seconds, no bruises.

12. matthewzguitarz

matthewzguitarz New Member

anza
    I think it just depends, I go prone when I want to ambush, and crouch pretty much anytime I'm not prone. Prone is really good when assaulting a building with a open area infront of it.

13. Hartman96

Hartman96 New Member

Woodville
    Except the fact that you become a very very stationary target, which is not a good thing when assaulting.

14. McGee

McGee New Member

San Francisco
    When I assault, I'm prone to shoot and then I rush for 3 seconds or so (when there is no cover).

If a person can't get on the ground and back up again very fast, they can just practice.

Or, they'll continue to get shot by people who are behind cover or prone, taking aim at them as they stand around like a billboard that says 'shoot me'.

15. averageairsofter

averageairsofter New Member

Menifee
    Going prone is only useful at longish ranges (over 120 feet) because you present a very small target to the enemy and at 120 feet or farther it will be about a lot harder for them to hit you prone than it would be normally. However at close range it is stupid and impractical because it will provablly take you about 5 seconds to get up and be ready to move again. It is especially usefull for me because im 6'2" and present a big target when I'm standing lol.

16. McGee

McGee New Member

San Francisco
    It doesn't take me 5 seconds to stand up, nor anyone else in my group. That was before we practiced.

At closer range (up to a point, obviously) wouldn't it be even more important to reduce your profile?

17. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

In some cases, yes. If you are outgunned and they are closing in on you, you want a fast escape, which will not happen if you are prone.

18. McGee

McGee New Member

San Francisco
    Absolutely true - in some cases prone is not a practical option.

It's also true that in some cases firing your weapon is not a practical option. I wouldn't post that fact in a thread about accuracy or red dot vs. iron sights.

But hey, don't bother to present the smallest target possible.

19. averageairsofter

Menifee

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  20. averageairsofter

Menifee
    We are just trying to give the pros and cons of going prone. If the OP had said that he only wanted to hear the good aspects of going prone we would have told him only the good things. But it seemed like he wanted to know if it was a good tactic, so we tell him everything not just the good. :/