Puffed up lipo

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Mikedigraz, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Mikedigraz

Mikedigraz New Member

I Have a lipo that is puffed up a little.. Is it still safe to fire and recharge the battery?

2. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    Do not take any chances. Just throw it away and get a new one.

3. stxrus

stxrus New Member

Cotton Valley
    toss it. a player a few weeks ago had a "vented" lipo (don't know the particularsof the battery) that he used. it actually caught on fire. no flames just melted wires (not fused) and a messed up RIS, fore grip,outer barrel. haven't heard about the status of the M-4 and haven't seen the player since then

4. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    Put it in a bucket of water and a lot of salt. Leave it there for a week and then throw it out. This breaks up the cells so it can be disposed of safely.

5. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    just drain the battery. once it no longer has a charge it will become harmless. i had a puffed up LiPo that could no longer hold a charge. my balancer refused to charge it so i took it outside and poked a nail through it. i was disappointed. no flames or anything. we took a partially puffed up LiPo, fully charged and tossed it in a fire pit at night. it eventually burst into flames.

i have a few partially puffed Lipo's i use occasionally. but once they fully puff up, i discharge them and store them in a LiPo safe bag. saving them for the 4th. i also store partially puffed LiPo's in flame proof safe bags in a tin can.

6. Phailed

Phailed New Member

Bodø
    Before you do that, you can try leaving it for a day or two in the freezer. That is if the battery still works and and alittle puffed.

7. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    no... you cannot undo a damaged LiPo by putting it in the freezer.

8. Phailed

Phailed New Member

Bodø
    I was told this by an person in my local RC club. He have many years of experience with LiPo batteries, and he runs a RC/Hobby store aswell. A LiPo can be alittle puffy without being damaged, and if that is the case, according to him, a day in the freezer wil help. If the LiPo is damaged, it wil not do any good. Ofcause you should not try to charge it again without and advanced charger, but again, if you dont have an advanced charger you should stay away from LiPo batteries.

One of my 6cell 5000 mAH batteries for my Trex 550 is alittle puffy. The voltage is still right, the cells are balanced, even after use. The battery is not damaged at all.

9. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    LiPo's normally swell up during use. this is caused by heat. when it cools down, it will go back to it's normal size. when a LiPo gets partially puffed, it will still work. no loss of power. as it progresses, play time will decrease or it will start heating up more and puff up more. all depends on load. heavier loads increases heat buildup. low amp loads will prolong the life of a partially puffed LiPo.

i have used extremely puffed LiPo's with no issues. just because it still works doesn't mean it's not damaged.