punishments for team members?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Dead Eye, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

Ocala
    I am working with the members of our team and we were coming up with our team conduct codes. one of the things asked was how to punish violators.
    well I came up with a couple we thought would be good from weaker infractions.
    we thought maybe have 2-3 jump suits, each dyed a different color
    one would be Bright pink.
    the next Yellow.
    and last Orange.
    and while they are under the punishment they also wear a cow bell while playing....
    now the idea is they have to wear these till they collect a set amount to go towards a charity that is designated to each of the 3 colors.
    example on a stronger violation it would be like $75 to go towards wounded warriors.
    while talking an it as we have a couple vets on the team they like the idea of trying to do something for their fellow brothers.
    and once they reach target for donation they can choose to stay in it (minus the cow bell) to see if they can get more donations...
    does this seem like a harsh punishment or do you think its a bad idea??
    we are going to have more harsh things for safety violations and so on but wanted make the lower stuff as a punishment and also a bit fun...

2. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    I can see that at fun games but where camo is needed and tactics are a must, pink and cow bells just dont work out. I like the idea for local fun games though. The donations parts is a good idea IMO and if you dont mind, I would like to steal that to bring up with my team. Larger infractions or multiple infractions lead to higher donation goals...
    We have a strike rule with punishments of fines and cutting use of team equipment (BBs, Gas, and other items) but I like your idea better haha

3. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    They're your teammates, not your kids. It's not your job to punish anybody. If they choose not to follow the team's code of conduct (which you shouldn't need in the first place), just let it go. You don't get to dictate other peoples' behavior in a hobby. If they cheat or they're unsafe, you simply don't play with them anymore.

4. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

Ocala
    yeah NP. also what about larger issues? we cannot tell people they cannot play but we need to be able to enforce the rules we play by.
    and yes they are adults, but they are also representing our team as a whole while they wear our team patch. this gives them a chance to rectify a wrong while remaining a member. and as far as not needing a code of conduct.. well lets say I have seen plenty of teams gain bad reputation due to some of the actions of their members. these rules are not much more than basic field rules with some slight additions toward actual gun safety, and respect for fellow members. so yes we will not only keep the codes but find ways to enforce them. this will make the difference between having a team people enjoy having on a field, or having a team no one respects or wants to deal with.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  5. Knief

Ann Arbor
    If you're playing with people who don't earn respect on their own, then you shouldn't be playing with them. No silly code of conduct is going to change the way they behave. Yes, there are plenty of jerks on the field. Those people will always be jerks regardless of what you try to dictate to them. It's in your best interest not to associate with them. If you join up with people who you would be proud to call your team, you don't need a CoC or a punishment system. If you need a CoC or punishment system, then you're on the wrong team. It's really that simple.

6. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

Ocala
    actually no its not that simple.....
    after belonging to several groups and starting some of my own even the best of people can do some things that make one wonder.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  7. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    Is this something you see happening in the future, or are you currently having trouble to with a member on your team?

8. Southpawlegend

Southpawlegend New Member

Salisbury
    Personally I think if someone is caught trashing the field they should be required to clean/repair or even upgrade stuff to make up for it or face expulsion from the team

9. Fritz

Fritz New Member

Camp Shelby
    Tell all this to the U.S. Military. Without a code of conduct, all would be chaos.

10. Protectionperfection

Worcester
    Out team and every other team I know has a code of conduct. There are the obvious things that need not be mentioned but there is also other factors. We have one that goes over things such as caught cheating once by a ref or us, its a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again. if you get caught by us we will call you out for you.
    do it again and get caught its a strike which no use of team equipment, one more time its a fine of $20 and if you get 3 strikes your on probation and at the digression of the teams vote to keep you or not. We take cheating seriously as it is the easiest way to gain a bad rep. If there are any doubts by someone, we ask that they tell one of us and we will ask a ref to watch our own player if need be, as long as you can provide details what happened...
    conduct off the field, your still known as a member so off the field you are not to shame the team name. and illegal activity is automatic dismissal...
    there is a lot to go into the CoC that is not just simple. Some people come into the team thinking one way and then realize its wrong and and they either need to change to find a new team. then there is the issue of friends vs. team mates. Thats another place CoC comes into play. On the field I am not your friend I am your team mate and expect you to have the same respect for the team that I do...

11. Knief

Ann Arbor
    The US Military is not an airsoft team. Real combat is worlds away from playing soldier as a hobby. This is a non sequitur, and a terrible, degrading one at that.

This is a horrible way to think of your team. Everybody is there by choice, nobody is committed to the game or to the team beyond whatever level they're willing to commit. It's not a job, there's no contract. If you have something besides friendship keeping your team together, it's going to fail hard. I've been on a few teams like that and I've watched a lot more. It's all fun at first, but if you're not friends and if you don't treat each other as friends, that fun gets sucked up in short order. It's replaced by petty BS and absurd struggles over completely arbitrary ultimately nonexistent power. Be friends first. The camaraderie and respect that comes out of friendship is much stronger and lasts much longer than something that you try to force out of the definition of a team.

As for needing a code of conduct, why would you ever want to link yourselves to people who need a code of conduct to act appropriately? If they need a code of conduct to not act like a fool, you're in trouble. That code of conduct is worth absolutely nothing when tempers flare. Hot heads will be hot heads, cheaters will be cheaters, and unsafe players will be unsafe. If you don't want to be associated with those kinds of activities, you need to team up with players who think it's wrong to act like that in the first place. From there, you'll never need a code of conduct.

12. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

Ocala
    I am not going to sit here and argue our teams decisions with you knief. the fact is some teams use them some don't.
    so if you don't mind I think you have derailed my thread enough!

13. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Your thread needs to be derailed. You're asking about how to punish people who take part in a hobby by choice. Take a step back from the mindset you've got yourself in and think about that. You're not their mother or their boss. You have no real leverage over your teammates. You will do your team and your friends more harm than good if you take any steps towards punishing your teammates.

14. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

Ocala
    this is your opinion and as such keep it to your self and as a MOD you should know this!

15. Protectionperfection

Worcester
    My team is running a year strong with no problems thank you... we are all friends and we treat eachother as family but when we are on the field, we are not going to say he its ok that you cheated because were bestest friends in the whole world. No everyone on my team including me gets the same treatment everyone else does no exceptions. The games we go to we still have fun but we take it seriously. If we didnt have fun we wouldnt play but that doesnt mean we can screw around and do what we want. We use a CoC and it works just fine for us. If you dont like it thats your opinion but has nothing to do with the OP original statement. He didnt ask your opinion if he should or should not use a Code of Conduct but just thoughts about their teams choice if it was too harsh. Im glad that every player on your team is perfect and never cheats, and never has a problem on or off the field. Our team is run different than yours, which is different than Dead Eye's, which is different than "pro" teams...

16. Knief

Ann Arbor
    So the players on your team would cheat if you didn't have the code of conduct?

FYI, a year for a team is nothing. Your problems will start a year from now, maybe sooner. The 2-3 year mark is when teams that use ridiculous structuring start to fall apart.

17. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

Ocala
    its a lot like this forum. they have rules on trolling, but yet you are still doing so.....

18. Protectionperfection

Worcester
    Im not going to argue my teams policies and how we run things with you. Your team can do whatever you want and our team will go on as we are. I will talk to you in a year and tell you that we are doing just fine still. and the year after that as well. Does your team use applications to gain membership? does your team have rules that are team specific? Just because your team does something doesnt make it right or wrong it just makes it work for your team and not mine. Maybe we use some of the same things... I honestly dont care because your team is not my team. Teams come and go all the time, ours has been up and running for 1 year and 4 months and will stay running into the new year and more
    Our team runs how we run and it works for us so who are you to criticize that?

19. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Can we, as internet savvy people, all agree to learn what the word "trolling" means for our 2013 new years resolution?

An internet forum is not an airsoft team. Neither is a business, nor a professional, collegiate, or high school sports team, nor military squad, nor any number of other groups. An IM ultimate frisbee time is probably a more apt comparison, and I don't believe we ever had a CoC or punishment system. Please learn how analogies work when researching what trolling is.

Who am I? Somebody who's experienced this first hand and watched it second hand. I've been there, I've done that, and I've learned that it doesn't work. I'll be awaiting your yearly updates eagerly. Just wait until the honeymoon stage ends and your teammates start deciding they don't like being dictated to in their hobby, even if it's by democracy.

There is no application to gain membership to our team. Other than having matching camo so that we look uniform on the field, we have no rules. We recruit members who already want to play the way we play and who already hold the same values that we hold. We go looking for the right players to fit our team, not the other way around. We do that because we know that we can't control how other people act. It's just not possible. So we look for members who don't need to be put on a leash.

I ask again, would players on your team cheat if it weren't for your CoC?

20. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

Ocala
    how can you have a team full of full of themselves people?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.