Question about M15A4 Buffer Tube

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Wolfie, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Belfast
    Alright, so I'm in the middle of converting a Classic Army M15A4 into a Patriot styled CQB Weapon. For those who don't know of it, I'm converting it into this: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100912172050/metalgear/images/c/c1/Patriot2.jpg

Now, I've unscrewed the Buffer tube cap. I've taken out the big, long screw in the buffer tube, and taken off tube, screw and plate, leaving the receiver itself, which has a small protrusion. I'm fine with that, it's part of the gun anyway.

But here's my question:
    The long screw appears to enter into the gearbox. Will the removal of this affect the gearbox? Would this prevent the gun from firing reliably?

Or is it just that there was nowhere else to drill the screw into, so CA just put it in through the gearbox?

2. danerd

danerd Member

Geneva
    Not at all. All the screw does it help hold the buffer tube to the receiver. The screw is important of you want the tube to stay in position, and not have your stock always falling off.

All M4 style AEGs have that screw, except for ICS. Since you have a CA, its fine.

3. wiseman

wiseman New Member

other than that, the screw holds nd keep the spring guide in place as well as for the gbox in the lower receiver.