Question regarding lipo batteries

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by ncore, Oct 18, 2012.

1. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    Ok, so I bought a lipo battery for my airsoft gun. I want to convert the battery to deans, and I know which plugs to convert. But um, I have no idea what the other set of plugs are for...

I have not yet received the battery, but do I actually use that smaller plug for anything? The battery was bought from an rc hobby store. All I have is a charger for my nimh battery.

Thanks

2. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    your current charger will not charge a lipo

3. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    ok thanks. What do i need and what place do you suggest i look for one for really cheap. Thanks

4. xXTacoMcFacoXx

xXTacoMcFacoXx New Member

The set of smaller wires are the balance leads. They are used for keeping the cells balanced when charging either through an external balancer or through the charger if you have a balance charger.

5. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    http://www.hobbyking.com

6. schlabie

schlabie New Member

Ive been curious onto what is everything Ill need for a 7.4 volt lipo. Sorry for offtopic post. There are 2 plugs per set, one for gun, and one for battery.

7. Fyzix

Fyzix Fyzzy Was Here. Supporting Member

Garland
    I'm kinda curious about this as well, since I'm looking into trading for a gun that comes with a 11.1.

8. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    well at the very minimum AoE and shimming. But deans are recommended. For 7.4 you don't need a mosfet. Rewire to 16 ga. if you want to.

9. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    Thanks for all your help! I just bought a cheap lip balance charger and I have a 12v wall charger to hook up to it.

Now, now, I know how to hook the battery up to deans, but how do I hook up the charger?

Its this one here:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7637__Turnigy_balancer_Charger_2S_3S.html

What I am thinking about doing is cutting off the lip battery's main plug, and then connect it to a deans input. Then of course soldering deans to the battery. Would that work as a jury rigged connector for charging my lipo battery? Thanks

10. schlabie

schlabie New Member

Great minds think alike my friend.

11. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    To charge a lipo on that charger you just plug the "extra" cord thats on the battery into the slot.
    As far as the battery and gun goes just switch both over to deans. It's easy and there are tons of tutorials on youtube if you need help.

12. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    So i dont need both plugs to charge it? Awesome! I didnt know that, thanks!

13. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    Actually, you need both plugs. The smaller plug is used to balance the charge between the lipo cells (2 for a 7.4v or 3 for 11.1v) to make sure one cell does not discharge more than the others. If you discharge a cell below 3v, you will likely damage it - maybe to the point of being a fire hazard. Just plug the smaller one into the appropriate balance port on the charger.

If you don't want to change the plug on the charger, you can get an adapter that will go from tamiya to deans. Just make sure to solder the female deans plug to the battery to prevent it from shorting out.

14. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    By the looks of the charger you linked us to no. With my charger I use both. It all depends on the charger.

While you are correct here. If you take a look at the charger he linked in one of his previous posts you will notice there is no spot to plug the actuall battery into to. It has your aligator clips as a power source (car battery) and then 2 slots for the balancing connector to go into.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  15. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    @703: if you look closely in the picture of the battery charger, the plug inputs are 2 different sizes

Ok, so I made a diagram to visually explain what I want to do, and here is a simple verbal explanation:

1. Convert lipo battery to deans
    2. Use the tamiya plug from the battery to make a deans to tamiya converter by soldering the positives and negatives together on a pair of wires
    3. Leave the tamiya end plugged into the charger
    4. Charge the battery normally with the balancer plug, and plug the deans plug into the deans plug in the homemade converter

[​IMG]

So will this work?

Thanks

edit:

also is this battery:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7637__Turnigy_balancer_Charger_2S_3S.html

too powerful for a standard m16 (has jg gearbox) and 110 spring? By too powerful, I mean, will it shred by gun up especially seeing as it will be wired to deans? How long do you think I should hold my finger on the trigger at a time. Thanks again

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  16. xXTacoMcFacoXx

xXTacoMcFacoXx New Member

The battery should have the female deans on it. Your diagram shows a male, just making sure your aware of that.

17. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    OOO ok thanks!!!! That is exactly why I put it in the diagram, in hopes somebody would point out if it was wrong or not.

I have never wired to deans before, and I havn't looked up any instructional videos yet, so I wasn't sure whether the battery, charger, and airsoft gun itself should be male or not.

So if I make the battery female, the rest is self explanatory, thanks. Does anything else look wrong in the picture?

18. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    You didn't actually link to the battery you wanted :) You accidentally linked the charger a second time. And yes, the battery should always have the female end of the connectors, as they are covered so that they cannot accidentally short out as easily.

19. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    O ok thanks! But what do you mean when you say I accidentally linked the charger a second time? Thanks

20. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    Suggestion: I would invest in a higher quality charger eventually.
    I have the IMAX B6 and I can't think of a better way to spend $24.99 on airsoft.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5548
    This thing charges pretty much any battery an airsoft gun would use. NiHm, NiCd, Lipo, etc.
    That doesn't matter though, because once you go lipo, you never go back.