Questions for Airtechs

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by ComputerMan, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ComputerMan

ComputerMan New Member

Hello,
    I want to get a job next help enter sign I see as an Airtech. What are basic qualifications for that job? Do they look at what you have done with your guns or is it off experience?

I need some money, and I love Airworthiness and tinkering with Airworthiness guns

2. Star_folder

Star_folder Active Member

Lexington
    Airtech is a new term, as is airworthiness, lol. If you're talking about teching on other people's guns, it doesn't quite work that way.

When someone wants you to work on their gun, they'll come to you, not you go to them. Generally they see the quality of your work, and they'll say, "hey, he did a good job, I wonder if he'll do something for me?" And you just go from there. Without a reputation for being a good airsoft tech, you won't get far. Build that reputation by showing that you know what you're talking about, and that you know how to fix problems. Post up some of the builds that you've done, if necessary, do some free techwork so people will get your name out there.

Now, if you're talking about working for an airsoft company, you'll just have to apply for the job and do anything they ask more or less.

3. ComputerMan

ComputerMan New Member

I'm thinking of applying to work for a local Airsoft shop as an assistant for their gun tech.

4. Star_folder

Lexington
    Then you'll have to ask them. Every employer is different. They may just want to see an example of your work, or a full plethora of builds and proof of experience.

5. DadCRO

DadCRO Member

Or you could just charge the people in your local group for fixing/upgrading guns.

6. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    gotta have the tools...

not just for repairing, but for fabricating and modding.
    you will need custom punch tools for sorbo
    an endless supply of xacto blades for cutting rhops
    assortment of shrink tubing, cables, deans/xt60, shims, etc...

and mountain dew

airsoft stores will usually hire by reputation. as star_folder mentioned, get your name out there. once people know about your skill, you will get swamped with requests. unfortunately, there are airsoft stores that hire inexperienced techs and they get a bad reputation.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  7. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What you say is true. Having guns that reliably shoot twice the average ROF at your local field is very effective advertising. You're also right about caffeine, gotta have lots of caffeine available when teching.

8. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    And a nice dremel :p

9. ComputerMan

ComputerMan New Member

See, I have helped with builds but only done one

Ill wait till I get my new build done and start going there weekly(the store's feild)

I wount do it alone, I need to start out with some to show me tricks, its one thing with my personal friends gun, but I'm scared to do it to a strangers a little scared

10. Star_folder

Lexington
    I would get over this fear, and quickly. An airsoft store isn't going to hire you if they don't think you can do the work. They aren't going to hold your hand to show you how to do stuff.

Experience is the best thing for you right now, learn, make mistakes, fix stuff.

11. DadCRO

DadCRO Member

Yes, but get your experience before you start teching professionally.

12. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Yes, please have your own tools.

If I were to hire you, you should have the basic tools. I don't expect you to have everything... But have:
    - basic set screwdrivers
    - precision screwdrivers
    - needle nose pliers
    - punch set
    - soldering gun (knowing how to solder)
    - wires, shrink tubing, and deans on hand
    - internal parts on hand (assortment of parts: gears, pistons, shim, etc.)
    - other tools that you have will show your experience that you've done tech work before. Or have atleast done some lol. Dremel ;) lol

Other things:
    - bring your "best" gun in your opinion. I would want to see what kind of "tech" you are by you making your first impression with your best build.
    - bring more guns if you want to show your time done as a tech. Videos and pics will help as well.
    - I suggest bringing something out of the ordinary, GBBR, GBB, Spring/Gas Sniper, full custom work. Anyone can work on a AEG. Id rather have a strong "other" build tech. But good all around is good as well.
    - i will test you on your experience in parts, history, and airsoft knowledge.
    - how long you've been playing, reputation, and etc.
    - you'll be given a couple simple tech jobs, and you'll be timed and graded on work done.

Weirdly the R-Hop rage hasn't hit down here yet. Our fields are way too small lol. I've only done one customer job so far, and everything else is a personal r-hop job lol. People down here haven't even heard of that yet, probably only the other 4 main shop techs on this island.

I can understand hiring by reputation. I would do that as well, but a lot of the "roaming" local techs who are good are big headed and think they know everything. I would not want anyone working under me like that.

Sorry. I'm brain dead now. At work lol. My 2 cents for now haha xD

13. ComputerMan

ComputerMan New Member

Thanks, I have the parts and they hired a tech that I had to explain what a piston head was to see if he has one extra for sale(a kids snapped)

Also, R-Hop and deans craze has not gotten here yet.

Wiring, installing GB parts, and other small jobs are their most common things to fix

Ill look around more after my g&p build.

Now I have heard the owner yells at the tech because they are too swamped with repairs and upgrades

So should I make my gun (take 3 months+) and try to make the externals amazing so they ask about the internals (its magpul time).

I may see if I can FIX and UPGRADE guns, until I get alot more comfortable with other peoples gun

I can get over that fear with upgrades, but not mods

I also need to have:
    Pieces of wax
    Allen wrench set (customary and metric)
    A screw divider (keep the parts organised)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  14. Uller

Uller Well-Known Member

Topeka
    Magpul is becomming less and less exclusive,and more and more mundane all the time.What hes trying to say here is come up with your own modification to existing parts to make them unique,or your very own unique parts.This takes skill and creativity a shop owner would value to lure customers in,and help keep the regulars comming back.Anyone can bolt off the shelf parts on,it takes creativity and skill to modify them to make "off the shelf" guns look and feel not "off the shelf".

Airsoft is alot about the gimmick.If you can make the guns you build stand out against the seemingly sea of bolted together ones you got it going on.

15. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Another note, please don't "boast" about what you have done, or what you got. Big headed'ness lol

Decreases your chance of being hired ;) just a note

16. ComputerMan

ComputerMan New Member

I know, I'm Modding some parts

Ill wait till August or longer

17. Uller

Uller Well-Known Member

Topeka
    If you have any questions or need any advice in your efforts,PM me and I would be happy to help out.

18. ComputerMan

ComputerMan New Member

Thank you, what ages did y'all start

19. Uller

Uller Well-Known Member

Topeka
    Suffice it to say the knowledge I have,and the techniques I use have been cultivated over a great deal of time from many different sources.

20. ComputerMan

ComputerMan New Member

What age: 14, 16, 18, 40 years old