Questions on a "Longevity" Build

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by TriadAirsoft, Nov 18, 2012.

1. TriadAirsoft

TriadAirsoft New Member

Winston-Salem
    Hey guys I am pretty new to opening the gearbox, and know the basics of how is works and simple things such as shimming and greasing the gears, but I want to delve into starting a new build!

~The Current Gun~
    As of now I dont have a gun that I can start on, but I'm in the process for ordering a SOCOM Gear N4 Full Metal Noveske 10.5" AEG.

~What I Want Out of this Gun~
    -CQB FPS (300-350)
    -CQB Length (300mm-373mm)
    -Very good Trigger Response
    -Accurate
    -Longevity within the Gearbox to where I won't have very many problems
    -20-30 RoF if possible! I want Longevity more than RoF!
    -Also I don't want to do anything extreme with the parts in the gun (NO Drilling if possible - I don't own a Dremel)

~Some Parts I Think Would Help~
    -New M100 Spring
    -Some kind of MOSFET
    -R-Hop up
    -Prommethius (Spelling) 6.03mm barrel
    -Deans Connectors
    -7.4v LiPo or 11.1v Lipo (Preferably 7.4v)

~Price Range~
    -$100 - $350 (inform me if this isn't enough :D)

~Conclusion~
    I have heard around that a Longevity build is the easiest for a beginner to start with, and this is what I really want in a gun, and with this forums help I think I can achieve what I want within the price range that I have set!

Thanks so much for the help!

TriadAirsoft

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  2. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    I would go with a JG blue motor and an 11.1v to get you right around 20 rps with fantastic trigger response. JG Blues have mega torque.

3. TriadAirsoft

TriadAirsoft New Member

Winston-Salem
    Oh I have never heard this before! Is a torquey motor give good trigger response? Also would this motor be better than the stock VFC motor?

4. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Definitely better than the VFC motor.

5. TriadAirsoft

TriadAirsoft New Member

Winston-Salem
    Would any other motor be better than the JG one? Also any other part recommendations? Also is my parts list I somewhat put together okay, and is my budget okay?

6. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    While I do not know how they compare in performance, the verdict on Lonex motors (The A2 orange torque in thiscase) are very much recommended.

The JG is known to be very full of torque, but slow.

7. TriadAirsoft

TriadAirsoft New Member

Winston-Salem
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/mobile/product_info.php?products_id=5894

I know Echo 1 rebrands JG, so is this the one? If this isn't than will this be just as good? Thanks again for all the tips guys!

Edit: where could I look at these two motors online? Also which one should I get if they are both good? Keep in mind that I want a really Long lasting gun with really good range and trigger response!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  8. TriadAirsoft

TriadAirsoft New Member

Winston-Salem
  9. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    They're the same motor.

A Mosfet is strongly recommended for a longevity build. It'll save your trigger contacts if you use an 11.1v. Disguised Enemy, BlueDragon, and many others sell their Mosfets in the classifieds for about $20.

10. TriadAirsoft

TriadAirsoft New Member

Winston-Salem
    Will the trigger response be affected wether I use a 7.4v or a 11.1v lipo? Also is the R-hop up any good, and is it hard to install? Once again thanks for the amazing information!

11. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    The trigger response will decline with lower powered batteries, so with regards to trigger response, 11.1v > 7.4v.

I have not attempted a legitimate install of Rhop, so I can't say with certainty how difficult it is. Go over to Airsoftmechanics and read all about it. There is a few very extensive and in depth guides there, as well as a kind of simplified version by Robin-Hood on this forum. It's stickied in the tech section.

12. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Yes, indeed it will. However, the amperage the batteries put out will affect it more so than voltage. Voltage usually gives you a higher cyclic rate. Less resistance in your electrical components will also help both cyclic rate and trigger response. The higher the voltage and faster the ROF and trigger response. Make sure your batteries put out more than enough amps to feed your motor.

The r hop is hard at first (takes a lot of patience and mess ups). The r hop is one of the best modifications you can do for accuracy. I suggest doing a flat hop first, however. It'll be much easier than jumping into an R hop. There's quite a few guides on Airsoftmechanics and here.

13. TriadAirsoft

TriadAirsoft New Member

Winston-Salem
    I have never heard of a flat hop before. Is this one better or worse than the r-hop? What makes the r hop so hard to install?

14. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    The flat hop was the precursor and the theory hs5 used to develop the R hop and, the outdated g-hop(irrelevant now). The flat hop is done by taking the mound Off the bucking. The r hop is better.

Go read an r hop guide and you will see why it's so difficult. When installing an r hop, you have to flat hop the bucking, by the way.

15. TriadAirsoft

TriadAirsoft New Member

Winston-Salem
    Ah okay then, that hurts my head a little haha! Anyway, are there any other parts I didn't list up top that would help out with longevity and trigger response?

16. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Here's what you should do IMO:

-JG blue motor (long)
    -CORE gears (get rid if that self shimming crap) SS two teeth using a file on the sector. A dremel would be a great help here
    -Lonex piston from hivemindairsoft. Buy the preswisscheesed version and have him short stroke it by two teeth.
    -M120 spring
    -Lonex bucking (flat hop)
    -AOE (70D Sorbo with neoprene backer)
    -Lonex air seal nozzle
    -Lonex chamber if you want to get rid of the stock plastic chamber
    -Prometheus EG barrel (6.03mm 363mm)
    -Shims (lots of them)
    -Radius cylinder windows
    -Disguised enemy 3034 MOSFET w/ TVI
    -XT plugs (deans clones)
    -16AWG wire

17. TriadAirsoft

TriadAirsoft New Member

Winston-Salem
    Wow thanks for all of the parts and such! I have to sign off for the night here I have school tomorrow but keep up with the tread if possible please! Thanks for all of the great info! I'll probably be back tomorrow with some more questions.

18. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Other than on those two aspects, I agree. The JG blue will give excellent trigger response and efficiency, but is extremely slow. A Lonex A2 will give almost 10rps more and still has tons of torque to spare, an M110 or M120 is like air to an A2. It will also easily rival the JG in effeciency. Only downside with the A2 is a higher price tag.

I don't mean to criticize you or anything, just putting in my 2 cents here.

19. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Lol budget "longevity" build :) like our durability bulld :)

- SHS 14 steel tooth piston w/ stock piston head
    - Metal bushings if yours are somehow plastic
    - re-shim your gears
    - air seal mods
    - use stock spring
    - MOSFET
    - stock motor
    - ROF will be slow, but you won't have to worry about breakage on a 11.1v LiPo.
    Only thing that will break would be... The spring? After a year lol :p

Option:
    - drop in a 16:1 gear set. Rate of fire will go a little over 20+ on a 11.1v LiPo with stock motor.
    - option for more ROF, drop in a high speed (25+ bps) or high torque (22+bps)

Super budget friendly :) minus the MOSFET lol ;)