Race pistols

Discussion in 'Airsoft Images & Video' started by potentialthreat, Nov 2, 2012.

1. potentialthreat

potentialthreat New Member

image-3674968617.jpg

This is my 1911 highcapa
    If you have a race pistol or want to learn more about these then comment or a picture

2. KDAalternative

KDAalternative New Member

Chipley
    Man that looks so beast

3. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    I've always been kind of interested in race pistols. What makes them different then ordinary pistols? What brand is yours? And lastly, redwolf carries all those Airsoft Surgeon pistols, most of those are race pistols. But what I'm wondering, can a expensive race pistol like those on redwolf still be effective as a skirmish pistol?

4. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    A well made race pistol is tuned for the absolute lightest trigger pull, fastest lock time, highest power, and best consistency possible. You put in a longer barrel to really boost power (GBB pistols get a big power boost from a long barrel) and install a recoil buffer system to shorten and quicken the slide cycle (the slide won't blow far enough back to lock on the last round). You also do a lot of manual internal work like polishing the sears and disconnector and fit the slide to the slide rail as tightly and as smoothly as possible.

The biggest difference is that you want to remove the hop up. IPSC shooting takes place at short range, so you don't need the distance that hop up provides, and having your bb contact a nub decreases accuracy. So you ditch the hop up. That, largely, is what makes a race pistol unskirmishable. The gun is pushing out over 400 FPS and you have an effective range of less than 50 feet. That's not even legal at Michigan games. You could put a hop up in and have a pretty devastating field pistol if you wanted to.

Here's my Race pistol. It's based on a Western Arms SV Infinity Championship .45:

[​IMG]

I wouldn't run it with that optic, it's far too heavy. I just couldn't find my reflex sight when I was taking pictures. Ideal, you'd want something like a doctor sight on there, but when I was building this they were out of production. A C-more was far too expensive.

I've always played around with the idea of building a new race pistol using a TM (TM didn't make a 2011 or a 1911 when I built this thing, WA was literally the only option), but I don't have anybody to shoot with. It's really hard to get anybody into IPSC when the entry cost is so high and you don't actually shoot people.

5. TYSONtheSNIPER

Edmonton
    Wow, thanks Kneif. That's a lot of juicy information. I'm curious though, do the Airsoft Surgeon pistols come without a hopup?

In the future I might make a decked out TM hi-cappa. But other then it being a hi-cappa it won't be anything like a race pistol. Just a highly customized skirmish gun. Still like the look of some race pistols though. Yours is sure a nice peice Kneif.

6. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Honestly, I have no idea what comes with an Airsoft Surgeon pistol these days. Clarence Lai, the original Airsoft Surgeon, used to make some absolutely beautiful custom pieces for various airsoft celebrities like DumboRAT and Arnie of Arnie's Airsoft.

Here's an old article about him on Redwolf:

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/NewsDetail?newsID=769

Used to be that nobody could tune a gun like Clarence Lai, even the big US guys couldn't even touch his work. These days, I don't know if he's still even working at the Airsoft Surgeon for Red Wolf or if they're just using the moniker for sales. China shut his site down years ago and I never heard what happened with him.

Here's the custom piece he built for Arnie:

http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn=/reviews/cl_arnies/cl_arnies_review.htm

And check out this article:

http://www.justpistols.co.uk/dr_gbb.htm

A lot of it isn't applicable, but the last section details Clarence's build for DumboRAT. Key lines:

I can't even explain how good that grouping is. It's impossible. BBs don't fly that straight. Airsoft guns aren't that consistent, they just aren't. But Clarence Lai made them be. His guns were just unfathomably good.

7. TYSONtheSNIPER

Edmonton
    Wow, this seems like a guy I should research. Sounds like he's a true legend when it comes to race pistols. Again, thanks for all that great information.

8. potentialthreat

potentialthreat New Member

The sight, charging handle, the longer barrel, and the mag well. The internals are all upgraded. What all of this stuff is for is fast target shooting. So I plat at an out door place and it has one CQB field that's when I use this pistol. The surgeons are cool and all but super expensive so I wouldn't Evan bother. But I would base it of one. And yes the can be used as a skirmish pistol. I take my sight off and put it in my holster.

9. Alb3r+0_G

Alb3r+0_G Member

Kneif just made your gun look noobish... Lol jk...

10. TheGreatMrPoo

TheGreatMrPoo New Member

Yes they do come with a hop up. I own a RWC Infinity 5.1. Internals are all airsoft surgeon with a pdi 6.01 barrel. Its a good skirmishing pistol, nice crisp trigger pull combined with a good recoil spring has a nice fire rate. Is it worth the 300$ price tag? That depends on the user/collector. [​IMG]

11. Alb3r+0_G

Alb3r+0_G Member

Nice gun... Is that your house/cars in the background???