Radio & Headset recommendations?

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by PrimusPilus, Nov 15, 2012.

1. PrimusPilus

PrimusPilus New Member

Abingdon
    So, my friends and I are in need of some radios and headsets. I'd like a small(ish) headset that I can hear well and everyone can hear me. Any recommendations for radios and headsets?

2. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    what are your budgets?
    if you have a good amount to spend, look ingot Puxing 888 radios and matching headsets. If your on a budget Midland/motorola radios and matching headsets

3. Hartman96

Hartman96 Active Member

Woodville
  4. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    My team has been thrilled with our ICOM 4011s. Great range, amazing clarity, and you don't have to put up with all of the crap features you get on commercial FRS cheapies. It'll cost you quite a bit, though.

5. Ze_Glocksman

Ze_Glocksman New Member

Kerrville
    How much. I'm interested.

6. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    We got them on ebay for just over $150 plus shipping. Head sets and mics were around $50 a piece, depending on the set up.

7. Cerveza

Cerveza New Member

Just got these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001WMFYH4
    [​IMG]

Extremely happy with them. The dual channel monitor is awesome. Listen to two channels and talk on one. Great for different groups. Lots of features, actually too many. The dual channel and whisper mode are about all I understand so far lol.

The boom mic is ok, but we went ahead and got these: http://www.amazon.com/Midland-AVPH3-Transparent-Security-Headsets/dp/B000CNAEEW/ (Pic only shows one, but two come in the set)
    [​IMG]

I *highly* recommend that headset if you get a Midland radio. I love the mic. The alligator clip on the back is on a swivel so it can mount onto just about anything. The ear bud isn't that bad (I'm kinda not a fan of things stuffed into my ear channel, but this isn't too bad). Setting the HHR to "whisper" mode and it picks up voice extremely well.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  8. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    Dual watch is a pretty awesome feature... I was wishing I had that at my last game.

9. FLUGMERKUR

FLUGMERKUR Schatten Gruppe Staff Member Moderator

Eastcoast
    Check out peltor or sordin headsets. They are expensive, but they amplify ambient noise and cut down loud noises. With my duel comm sordins I can be on my squads channel and our team commander's channel at the same time, without overlapping signal. If the conditions are right and you are focusing with them on you can hear footsteps and talking up to about 100 feet away.

10. cdi

cdi Member

If budget is no Issue get your self some Motarola MTS 2000's or TAIT TP8100's or ICOM F80 DS your range will be amazing, battery life stellar people will not be able hack into your gear without having 10's of thousands of dollars worth of stuff. The encryption is great. The Icom and Taits you can hook up to a trunking system or Repeater and have a GPS readout of all your team mates. As for the head sets sordins are great but I personally favor Peltor PTT's and The Peltor Tactical Pro Headsets.
    A set up like that would roughly cost 800-1500$+ per person.

11. FLUGMERKUR

FLUGMERKUR Schatten Gruppe Staff Member Moderator

Eastcoast
    Yeah, I like peltor better also. But my peltor is not duel comm, so I use sordins instead.