Radio help

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Shadow_Nugz, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    I have no idea what to even start looking at for getting a radio. I would like a low profile single ear piece

like this
    [​IMG]

or a large set
    [​IMG]

I would wear them with a hat and goggles.

2. BravoZulu

BravoZulu New Member

Pictures aren't working. For me, at least.

3. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    As with everything here, it would help to know your budget. It would also help to know what the people you want to communicate with are using. You need to be on the same frequency woth the same privacy codes as them for your radio to be worth anything on the field.

4. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    That's the issue. I have never worked with radios before and therefore I don't know what a good price range would be. I guess I would like to start out with a simple set. Not sure how many people use radios locally

5. Knief

Ann Arbor
    It's a good bet that if you buy a decent Motorola talkabout, you'll be in good shape. They're the most common radio out there by far, they're pretty durable, and they work well for what they do. You won't have killer range, but it should be good for 95% of fields out there. Talkabouts broadcast FRS frequencies, which means you don't have to have a license, but you're limited to .5w of power. Like I said though, that's not a big deal for the vast majority of fields. Find a model with features that you like and buy it.

6. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    Say I got a Motorola Talkabout, what else would I need?

7. Knief

Ann Arbor
    A compatible headset, which are widely available. Many talkabouts take AA batteries, but for those that don't, you'll receive a battery and charger for it. All you need is the radio and whatever headset you want.

8. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    That's it? What about those PTT things I see? Don't a lot of people run those threaded through their MOLLE?

9. Knief

Ann Arbor
    That'll depend on the headset you want. You can get a headset that has an inline PTT and/or mic, or you can get a head set that plugs into a PTT and/or mic that then plugs into your radio. There are a ton of options out there, and what you get depends on what you want to work with.