Radio recommendations

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by GinjaNinja, Apr 22, 2021.

1. GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja New Member

Chicago
    I'm a newer player to airsoft. I've got a kit set up and everything and have started thinking about setting up communication as I set my mind to milsim events. I've been looking at different radios and keep hearing about the UV-5R and the legislation issues with that. Anybody have any radio recommendations that abide by article 95? If I'd have to get a GMRS license, I'm cool with that, but if there are any radios that would work well in an airsoft setting that I don't need a license for, that'd be great. Been looking at the Midland GXT1000VP4 but thought I should hear what some of the veteran players have to say.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    BeansOnToast likes this.
  2. Jay rollz

Jay rollz New Member

Cottage grove
    Our squad uses the Howe tech impact lights with a bayofueng radio also we use the Amazon push to talk with a regular auxiliary cable with a built in mic.
    This system works killer as it is stereo so when your teams tking you hear through both ears and can literally whisper to them and they hear clear as a bell

GinjaNinja likes this.

3. jagerfiend

jagerfiend New Member

Uv-5R has been great for me. Nobody is gonna kick your door down for having one.

Also GMRS license is insanely inexpensive and easy to get. It’s like $100 for 10 years or something.

If you buy the UV-5R kit off Amazon make sure to lift and look under the plastic divider tray in the box. Longer antenna was hiding under there.

4. GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja New Member

Chicago
    I did end up just grabbing the UV-5R. Considering the very low chance that someone will come after me over that radio and use of it's frequencies, is it even worth grabbing a GMRS license, assuming I'm not going around abusing the channels and doing stupid things, or is there benefit for it?

5. GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja New Member

Chicago
    I'm gonna have to look into this. That sounds absolutely beautiful. I just grabbed a OPS-CORE M32H a few weeks ago. I just either need to switch out the ARC rail on my helmet for a better one or get a new ARC rail adapter for them. Hearing that, though, I might have to swap them out for yours.