Radios

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by Stupidsexymonster, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Stupidsexymonster

Stupidsexymonster New Member

San Francisco
    SO I'm thinking of getting a set of radios for me an my friends for outdoor games. Anyone have any recommendations?

2. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    How much do you want to spend? How good do you want your radios to be? Are you looking for anything in specific?

Hopefully, your screen name does not describe your nature.

3. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    yes please, the amount your looking to spend is a big part. Also, what terrain will you be playing in?
    Our team uses Midlands to start but I would like to try to get us switched over to Puxing for next year.

4. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    Also, take into consideration that you will probably want a microphone headset. This can range in price from cheap $2 ones to the real deal $400+ military grade ones.

5. Grudge

Grudge New Member

Winnipeg
    You are going to spend $100 - $150 for a GOOD radiao and headset.

6. Protectionperfection

Worcester
    Our midlands go for a couple miles and we have non military throat mics that are acrually really good that we found for $35. Waterproof, adjustable, surgical tube earpieces and they come in almost every radio type out there. You honestly shouldnt need more than a mile reach and most radios can hit that even through heave forest and hills.
    Dynamic Designs is where I got my throat mic. Been running it for about 4 months, not a single issue and its been through sweat, mus, dropped, slammed, shot and it still is perfect. the PTT button is big as well and can clip onto anything.

7. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    Yes, for a good headset. But if you really are on a tight budget, they do sell them on ebay for $2. I saw it and thought "What the heck, why not try it". Shipping was free, but it will take about 20 days for it to get here from China (of course). I will post whether or not $2 was wasted, but for $2, what do you expect?

Nice find. Do all of your teammates have radios and mics?

8. Protectionperfection

Worcester
    we all have them radios and headsets yet. we are all in the process of switching over to throat mics

9. Stupidsexymonster

San Francisco
    Ideally I would like to spend around 100 for maybe 2 or 3. I know that's not much but its for people to use that don't have their own gear ,

I would also like to get a nice one for me only that would work with the other ones.

I don't know much about radios and how they work. Do they all communicate with each other as long as they are on the same channel ?

10. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    Well, that and as long as they are all withing range of eachother.

The way most channel radios work is that they have between channels 1-40 or more, and then they have a channel password (sort of) that is a secondary number ranging between 1-90 (something like that)'

So as long as they have the same channel and secondary number set and are withing a certain radius with eachother, you can have as many people on the channel as you want

11. Stupidsexymonster

San Francisco
    I was thinking of these for the loners
    I do t know if they are even worth the cost

Midland GXT1000VP4 36-Mile 50-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair) (Black/Silver) http://amzn.com/B001WMFYH4

12. M60_Airsoft

M60_Airsoft New Member

A puxings PX 888 or PX 777 radios are great and only like 100 bucks, and you could get like a push to talk or something

13. Stupidsexymonster

San Francisco
    Are most radios not on all the time ?

14. Stupidsexymonster

San Francisco
    Would those be a good set for loaners ? For outdoor games ?

Check this out on AMZN: Motorola MH230TPR Giant Rechargeable Two Way Radio 3 Pack, FRS/GMRS http://amzn.com/B0058W1I38

15. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    They are always on during a game, however a push to talk (PTT) only transmits when you press a button. If you always were transmitting the interference and commotion from everyone else would be noise basically. There's one on the side of every radio, but if you get a headset you will want a PTT in line with your headset.

I second the Puxing p777 or p888. However, it's best to use them with a headset as the holes for the built in mic aren't very good causing the voice transmission to be a little less than desired. If in the US, make sure to get the US model and be sure you are operating on the right frequencies.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  16. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

Ocala
    whats the range on these Puxing radios? not claimed from the company but actuall rang people have gotten? as we use GMRS radios and the range pretty much sucks.

17. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX Member

San Angelo
    The Puxings can reach halfway across the Oklahoma D-Day Adventure Park (site of OP Oklahoma Invasion / OP Broken Home), no problem. That's as far as I got from my team leader, I was in a deep ravine, and that field is extremely heavily wooded and hilly.

Professional grade radios like the Puxing, Kenwood, iCom, etc (I use Yaesu) have much better antennas than hobby/sport radios.

18. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

Ocala
    errrr ok and that's how far? as I have never played that....

19. Stupidsexymonster

San Francisco
    Some of these claim to work for 36 miles

I don't need that much , 2 or 3 is all I would need for Airsoft

But yeah I would like to know what the real rang on those is if you know

20. Grudge

Grudge New Member

Winnipeg
    Range will vary by terrain features. The more hills and trees you have the less range.

If you have a radio that works great 2-3 miles with line of sight, as soon as you throw trees and hills you can cut that down by half or more!

I know the radio I have the FD-450 (similar to the Puxing can get 5-7 miles with variable terrain!