Airsoft Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyo! I was actively involved, primarily within the state, in airsoft for about 5 or so years but had to quit during college due to time commitments, no local community, oh, and the massive money involved in tuition in the US 馃檭. Anyways... another half-decade later and I'm finally out of school, have time, and as financially stable as a film school grad ever will be, and have been wanting to get back into the hobby. However, having had negligible interactions with anyone in airsoft for so long, I have a lot of questions. Heck, I didn't even remember what my old information was for Airsoft Society if that is any sign of how little I've kept in touch. I've done a lot of research but wanted to double-check some things.

Rather than fill up each forum with a new post, I figured I would lay out all my questions here, mods I hope that's ok..? If not, feel free to lock and I can create individual posts.

• Community Questions:
    • Is the community still fairly active in most places? I'm based in CA and there was a pretty large community with a decent amount of fields, especially in the LA/SoCal area.
    • Are Milsim events very common? I was pretty active in the smaller events in CA but wanted to get into larger events in the Southwest.
    • Worth getting back into? I assume anyone active here is under the impression that the hobby isn't on its way out, but if there are reasons that it would be a bad idea to get back into it then I would really like to know ahead of time 馃槀
  • Guns/Gear:
    • When I left, AEG's were still incredibly popular but a lot of people were switching to polar stars and greengas/c02 primaries, AEG's still popular? Don't want to create an argument in this thread btw lol.
    • Any brands I should be leaning towards? At the time, most of my buddies were using Krytac, TM, or random G&G overhaul builds, but what are the current upper tier brands? Upgradeability is nice too.
    • Likewise, same question applies to secondary's, though I always used gbb or c02.
    • Good online retailers? Most of my gear before was genuine, but for things like guns, bbs, accessories, etc. I usually shopped locally or through Evike.
  • Anything else:
    • Anything else I should know? I wasn't out of the hobby for decades or anything, but I know a lot can change fast sometimes, especially as I recall there were some laws trying to be passed pertaining to buying, selling, orange tips, etc.
Thanks for any advice or answers to questions! I remember most of the people & community I interacted with being super fun to be around and hope to dive back into the world of full grown adults running around with toy guns.

Administrator
The main thing over the last 5 years is the new hop-up packings/rubbers/buckings.

They offer a significant range improvement over legacy designs.

Using the right barrel...you can hit 80 yards accurately with a conventional AEG.

Premium Member
Welcome back!
To answer some of your questions:

I'd imagine there are probably several fields/groups in your area (California is a hotspot), but don't know for sure (I'm in Montana).

The hobby is not on its way out, but there are some issues that have started/gotten worse. For example compatibility is almost entirely a myth. You have to know exactly what you are doing or get extremely lucky to find the right replacement/upgrade part.

AEGs are still king, and polarstars are for heretics (lol jk Graybeard).

Unfortunately we haven't seen a lot of innovation in the AEG market and those three (Krytac, TM and G&G) are still on top. I do recommend Acturus though, they are very nice. Or for AKs E&L.

Evike has raised prices and sipping costs, but is still fairly reliable. My personal favorite is Taiwangun.com.

Premium Member
  • Community Questions:
    • Is the community still fairly active in most places? Yep, although some more than others of course.
    • Are Milsim events very common? Yes - most of the big ones are a ~once a year thing so you need to find which ones are close and look up their schedule etc
    • Worth getting back into? I'd say so - Airsoft is a fitness sport as much as it's an equipment one, so if for no other reason than to be active and have fun... totally worth it. As a film school grad you might be able to explore the sport from that angle as well and keep your other skills sharp :)
  • Guns/Gear:
    • When I left, AEG's were still incredibly popular but a lot of people were switching to polar stars and greengas/c02 primaries, AEG's still popular? AEGs still make up the (vast) majority of guns. HPA has gathered a slightly larger following in the past ~5 years, had some interesting new products come out (Polarstar Kythera, etc). GG/CO2 primarys are still rare, fps to inconsistent to have any kind of reliable ranged performance.
    • Any brands I should be leaning towards? Krytac still makes decent stock guns, G&G too. Arcturus may be a new name for you, been winning a lot of people over.
    • Likewise, same question applies to secondary's, though I always used gbb or c02. Not a whole lot has changed on the sidearms side of things. Action Army put out an interesting pistol called the AAP01, ment to be PCC / modular platform that takes glock mags. There's also the WE Galaxy which looks similar.
    • Good online retailers? Most of my gear before was genuine, but for things like guns, bbs, accessories, etc. I usually shopped locally or through Evike. evike is still evike, other places like AirsoftGI, Brill Armory, would be my recommendation though - they are smaller storefronts so actually care about individual orders etc.
  • Anything else:
    • Anything else I should know? Perun may be a new name for you, they released a line of programmable MOSFETS which are highly regarded. Maxx hop chambers are better now. Brushless motors are a thing, still gen1 tech but there's a lot of promise to them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses! Glad to hear things are much the same but still with some cool new things.
The main thing over the last 5 years is the new hop-up packings/rubbers/buckings.
Oh cool! That's always an area I've felt could be improved on, I'll do some digging on it, sounds interesting.

I do recommend Acturus though, they are very nice.
Arcturus may be a new name for you, been winning a lot of people over.
Never heard of them but I clearly need to look into them, do they have decent upgradeability?

Perun may be a new name for you, they released a line of programmable MOSFETS which are highly regarded.
Another thing I definitely need to look at more. From the little I just read, seems like a lot of big improvements on other older mosfets.

Administrator
Arcturus, upgradeable....it depends.

For example the AK12PE rivals even the Krytac in performance and capability.

Adjustable AK trigger (a first), Perun MOSFET where yo get multiple fire modes from a factory AEG(another first). The AEG is so good that some HPA users swtiched back to AEG just because of this AEG...so...what would you need to upgrade?

Premium Member
Never heard of them but I clearly need to look into them, do they have decent upgradeability?
That depends on what you want to upgrade. The V3 Gearbox is proprietary and not TM spec, and it has a microswitch trigger that is kind of a pain. It's actually really nice compared to standard trigger contacts and you don't need to change it though unless you want to put in an aftermarket mosfet.

Changing though is tough:

Administrator
That depends on what you want to upgrade. The V3 Gearbox is proprietary and not TM spec, and it has a microswitch trigger that is kind of a pain. It's actually really nice compared to standard trigger contacts and you don't need to change it though unless you want to put in an aftermarket mosfet.

Changing though is tough:
Not much is TM Spec any more.

The ME has the microswitch trigger. The other non-designated model is a trolley.

Registered
Any brands I should be leaning towards?
"Manufacturers" I recommend, only because of experience with products owned. I have no where near the time in the industry that Guges has, but before I got deep into the industry of fun, I took my time to see who "makes" AEG's and who "contracts the making of" AEG's to see where the best QC resides. So far I stand by these manufactures...

A&K, Arcturus(JAG), CYMA, E&C(JAG), E&L(Emei), KWA/KSC, LCT, WE, Wolverine(Made in USA)

My opinion: G&G got popular as they did through "101 Tech USA" spending money to advertise their product in the US, to where their other competitors in advertising in US is KWA and Lnarec Tactical. KWA product designs are to Milsim(until westcoast speedsoft; where I come from), G&G is to mass-production in all niche playstyles. Lrecan Tactical just makes cheap shells for HPA builds. Recently, JAG advertised Arcturus to the US market. However, there was already a steady following behind the designer of Arcturus, as he was including the Global airsoft community in the design work-up on the way to production. My local shop just keeps selling Arcturus AK AEG's hand over fist. They are nice and smell perfect out of the box. Yum!

I'm going to assume by your writing style that you are now being paid well after your efforts of higher education and have some capital. Follow the Wolverine!

If you want top notch airsoft weapon... Daytona Gun, or, Opticmanman

Administrator
The Arcturus AK12-PE is now the Gold Standard, albeit with still some rough edges.

It has even replaced HPA for some...that is how good it is.

Arcturus and E&L is now distributed by the Management Company that makes them...MOS Manufacture.

Administrator
Jag makes nothing...they technically don't do anything other than distribute.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts