Real Steel Discussion!

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by Patinator, Sep 6, 2010.

1. CommandoJoe

CommandoJoe Member

Yeah, it's kind of BS imo. Won't stop me from buying the revolver later down the road though haha

Topshotz357 likes this.
  2. Falco

Falco Well-Known Member

Atlanta
    New to this thread, but may as well make a comment. Temporarily getting out of airsoft, but I've gotten into "plinking" at my local range instead, as it just doesn't feel normal if I don't have an unusually expensive hobby draining my wallet ;).

Anyway, first gun I bought was a S&W SD9VE. Actually, I talked my parents into buying it, so its not technically mine... Its a pretty nice handgun considering. Ergonomics are excellent and its just feels very natural. Stock trigger is something like 8.5lb or more and feels like it travels about a mile. Upgraded to an Apex trigger, which is great considering its only $45, shortens trigger pull and brings the weight down to ~5lb with spring set.

My official first gun was a 10/22 TD. Got that a month and a half ago? And continuing my luck from airsoft, it had a manufacturing defect and is back with Ruger, and I'm waiting for them to send me another one. Ruger CS is great, but a little slow. They are even willing to pay the FFL dealer few if I'm charged again when I pick it up.

I've got big plans for it though ;). Picked up a Magpul backpacker stock, which really neat for those that haven't seen it before. One of the most innovative products Magpul has come out with IMO. Waiting on a Primary Arms advanced micro dot to arrive as well as magpul scope mount.

3. CommandoJoe

CommandoJoe Member

If you ever own a S&W, be prepared to get ****-talked by glock owners. Don't listen though, I love glocks, but they're all the same. S&W has always had something I liked about them, and they make all kinds of different models.

My first handgun bought by me might be a Beretta PX4. Looks so awkward. And I love it.

4. Falco

Falco Well-Known Member

Atlanta
    I know what your talking about. I spend a lot of time watching youtube channels when I'm bored. Military Arms Channel, IV8888, and Hank Strange podcasts, so I'm familiar with most of the "gun culture".

I'm really not a glock fan. Now I'm sure they are reliable, but just picking one up, they feel uncomfortable. And I would prefer to invest my money in a company that believes in innovation. Speaking of which, I was initially looking at a CZ P10c for my first hand gun, but I saw a couple weeks ago that S&W released a M&P9 2.0 compact, which is very tempting. A G19 sized M&P9... Anyone else seen these yet?

My SD9VE is comfier than a glock IMO, but mostly went for it because of the price. After rebate it was $275. Great range gun. Only had two malfunctions which were caused by the cheap Winchester 9mm 115g FMJ ammo. Two light primer strikes I believe. Good enough for plinking though.

CommandoJoe likes this.
  5. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

The M&Ps are sweet pistol. Guy I work with is looking at grabbing one for his first gun. I do hate the grip on the 2.0 though, too rough for my liking, I prefer the original grip.

Joe, how do you like the Px4? I loved my airsoft one but absolutely hated the long trigger pull on the real steel one I shot.

6. Falco

Falco Well-Known Member

Atlanta
    Grip texture is a little weird. For range shooting I don't think I'd mind, but I would look into modifying it if I were to use it for concealed carry once I'm 21. I can imagine that it would feel like sandpaper ;).

I'm also saving for an AR-15. Initially I was thinking Colt 6920 which retails for about $900 or 700-750 for a stripped down model, however I've seen a lot of positive things about BCI defense ARs. Their professional model is ~$1100. My experience from airsoft tells me to save the extra money for the BCI. Its honestly probably cheaper by the time I buy externals for the Colt anyway.

Just need to sell the rest of my airsoft gun collection I don't use anymore. After the AR, and handgun, I would really like to look for a few military surplus rifles. Always loved older rifles, especially ones with history attached to them. Need to browse this thread a bit and see what cool stuff you guys are running ;)

7. CommandoJoe

CommandoJoe Member

Haven't bought one yet and have yet to shoot one haha. Thankfully if the trigger pull does suck it, they can usually be adjusted. Give it a sick new trigger. My main reason is for the looks lol, I'm very lustful when comes to guns...
    ...and trucks...
    ...and girls....

8. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Buddy of mine rented one at the range he's a member at and all the people working there only had bad things to say about it unfortunately. I put a mag through it at another range but it just wasn't for me sadly, it's a super comfy gun, just not a great shooter. Your mileage may vary though, so definitely give it a shot.

Topshotz357 likes this.
  9. adas1223

adas1223 Active Member

stratford
    that was my first gun too. awesome feel, horrible trigger. the apex trigger came out few weeks after so im kinda bummed i didnt give it a chance. i sold it and picked up a g34 and the rest is history lol. dont get me started on glocks now lol

i also have have the 10/22 TD. the magpul furniture is very tempting but i still cant justify it on my "toy plinker". instead, i 3d printed mag couplers bc CT has the 10 round mag rule. slapped on fiber optic front sight, and added a low'er' scope rail to witness my irons.

Falco likes this.
  10. Falco

Falco Well-Known Member

Atlanta
    Apex trigger definitely makes it a usable gun. Glocks are tempting, but until they change the grip angle, and grip ergonomics I'll pass.

The Magpul backpacker stock is really amazing though ;)! Cost me $100 bucks IIRC. Its really handy to be able to lock the barrel assembly into the stock, besides the cheek riser, battery compartment and 3 mag stored in stock. I finally get my 10/22 back tomorrow (have to pick it up at an FFL dealer as they sent me a new gun), so expect pictures this weekend. Red dot (PA advanced micro dot) arrives today as well.

What 22lr ammo do you use? I've tried Remington and Federal. Remington is crap, no surprise, but the Federal has been pretty good. Accuracy is much better than the Remington. One FTF and two FTE out of 350~ rounds. From what I've read most likely ammo inconsistencies, and the FTE can be fixed with a new extractor if desired.

11. adas1223

adas1223 Active Member

stratford
    i have no idea honestly which ammo i use lol. on the higher end of standard velocity hollow points. shot about 250ish through without a hiccup. I read that a popular upgrade is a better extractor, or a diy knife edge stock extractor. Ill fix this when the problem shows. i really bought this gun to run CCI subsonics and a muffler on the end. kill me some groundhogs.

As for glock, the reason why i like it so much is because of the grip angle and bore axis combination. little to no muzzle flip. same concept as to why ar15's have little muzzle rise.

BOA_SP3CT3R and Falco like this.
  12. Falco

Falco Well-Known Member

Atlanta
    I should say, I don't have as much a problem with the grip angle, mostly I just find it uncomfortable. Really would prefer a CZ P10c, or a M&P9 compact. I'm sure I will pick a G19 up at some point when I have a job ;), just because.

I was really hoping the Share Act would get pushed through so I could buy a suppressor without paying an extra $200. Looks that won't happen now though...

13. CommandoJoe

CommandoJoe Member

Bro look what I just bought lmao

[​IMG]

It's used, but got the gun, 3 mags, the case, and a Blackhawk hard case holster for $250. Not bad at all! I definitely see what you mean about the trigger though. Stock trigger feels like it travels a marathon and is about to fuckin' snap off. Other than that, it's awesome. Feels good in a weird way... like the first girl you lose your virginity to. Maybe not the best of quality, but its still just right

Falco likes this.
  14. Falco

Falco Well-Known Member

Atlanta
    Nice! Definitely look into the Apex trigger if you do much shooting. It does require slight modification though. If you buy one feel free to message me and I can send you one or two links on installation. Basically just needs the back of the trigger to be sanded otherwise the trigger hits the frame too soon and the gun won't go bang ;). Pretty simple though.

Hope you enjoy it!

CommandoJoe likes this.
  15. CommandoJoe

CommandoJoe Member

Thanks brother! But I'll be shipping to the Navy in a couple of months (not sure exactly when, still discussing my job) so I prob won't do anything with it yet. Once I get a place off base and I can bring firearms, then hell yeah. Thanks for the tip brother!

Falco likes this.
  16. ibob4tacoz

ibob4tacoz what am I doing Supporting Member

Buckeye
    An undercut is all you need.

17. Munishin

Munishin Well-Known Member

Goodyear
    Took two or three months, but I would like to consider my first AR15 now complete.

[​IMG]

PSA 16" Mid-length 5.56 NATO 1:7 Nitride MOE Freedom Upper
    PSA AR-15 Complete Classic Lower
    PSA 5.56 Premium HPT/MPI Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group & PSA AR15/M16 7075 T6 Forged Mil-Spec Charging Handle
    Mil-Spec Car Stock Body w/ Surplus USGI Recoil Pad
    Fulton Armory A1 Pistol Grip
    Ma-Tech Rear Flip Up Iron Sight
    Primary Arms Micro Red Dot Sight
    UTG/Leapers 1" Picatinny Mount
    UTG/Leapers Mid-Length RIS
    Magpul RSA
    KAC Vertical Foregrip
    Streamlight Protac Weapon Light 2

Falco, Bostitch, BOA_SP3CT3R and 2 others like this.
  18. Bostitch

Bostitch Active Member

Finksburg
    Looking good man!

[​IMG]

As for me, I have a lot of changes, additions, and new stuff on the way. I totally redid my magpul'd AR15 into a Sopmod. It was originally a PSA 16" upper with all FDE MOE furniture. I swapped out the barrel for a rosco 14.5" with a BCM A2X flash hider (pinned/welded) and a bolt on a2 style gas block (5 set screws...it's solid and isnt going anywhere). Also tossed on a sopmod stock, a KAC RAS, an matech rear sight, and an aimpoint m3 (same externally as an m2, just different electronics). The gun is a blast to shoot, but is over gassed. I have an h2 buffer on the way to remedy that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In addition to this, I also ordered two brownells A1 style lowers. One replaced the Anderson lower on my mk12, and the other is being built into a mk18 mod 0. The Anderson lower is getting built into a recce style rifle.
    [​IMG]

So what I have on the way for the mk18 is a pistol lpk with KAK Shockwave blade stabilizer, a brownells a1 grip, and when they are back in stock I will have a complete colt mk18 mod 0 upper (colt upper bcg, ch, 10.3 barrel, kac ras, and arms rear sight).

What I have on the way for the Anderson lower is a standard lpk (I used the PSA LPK that was in it to go in the a1 lower for my mk12) and an aero precision upper. I will be using my existing PSA 16" barrel, and 10" YHM Diamond FFR (eventually will get a longer rail for it) on it. Everything i dont alrrady have (but the mk18 upper) should be here by the end of the week, so I should have some fun updates this weekend and next week.

Falco, BOA_SP3CT3R and Munishin like this.
  19. richman992

richman992 Active Member

Rochester
    First post in a year and it’s off topic but...

I was recently given a Mosin Nagant rifle and wanted to learn more about the markings on it.

From what I can tell I was pretty lucky as all the numbers I can find match. There are some markings in the wood (look like they may have been stamped). The barrel has the star and “1939”

I’m curious as to finding out about what all of the markings mean, but don’t know a reliable source. I’m wondering if I can find out if/when it was issued, etc.

If any of y’all know a good RELIABLE place I should look for more info, please let me know!

20. TravEbersole

TravEbersole Member

Hemet
    Bostitch, I think I recognize who you are from Garand Thumb Worshippers lmao

BOA_SP3CT3R, brokenarrow and Bostitch like this.