Really confusing 'mag not feeding' issue

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by ncore, Nov 3, 2012.

1. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    I have an m16 with aim top gearbox, echo 1 motor, and matrix metal body, with 6.03mm tbb, and some one piece hop up unit with hop up spacer.

Ok, so I completely took apart my gearbox to lube and rewire it. I have watched the air nozzle move and it moves and expels air the way it is supposed to.

I put the magazines into the gun, and they just are not shooting. I turned the gun upside down and took the magazine out, and there were airsoft bbs in the hop up unit, so it is not a feeding issue. With no bbs in the hop up unit, and no mag in, I looked down the hop up feeding tube and fired the gun, and saw the nozzle move how it is supposed to.

I completely disassembled the hop up unit, lubed it, re-assembled it. I lubed up all the o-rings on it, and I lubed up the air nozzle. I turned the hop up all the way off, and double checked looking down the hop up unit and barrel to see if it was protruding out to much, and it was where it should be in the off position.

Some how the bbs are getting stuck and refusing to fire, and I cannot figure anything out. I can only actually test the gun outside due to community laws, and I am only free to test it on weekends.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

2. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    Still having problems, I also noticed that looking down the part of the hop up unit where the bbs feed into, the bucking lip is sticking out a tiny bit.

Would this be causing it? But bbs are still getting stuck in the bucking right before the hop up nub, even if it is turned all the way off

3. Nelson

Nelson Review Guru Supporting Member

Spokane
    Do the bbs role out of your gun at all? Your air nozzle may be too long which is causing the bbs to not fully make it into the hop up chamber and the barrel.

Edit: this may sound scary but take your gun without a mag in it, make sure there are no bbs in it at all, and see if you feel air in the end of the barrel when you fire.

4. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    Check how your bucking is seated. Where exactly do the BBs appear to be jamming?

5. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    No, the bbs dont roll out of the gun. Occasionally the 2-3 bbs that are stuck will all shoot out at once.

So I did what you asked, I took the mag out, made sure the barrel was clear, and I fired. I felt air come out the end of the barrel, and I also checked, and no air was coming out of the magwell. So all of the air is going where it is supposed to.

The bbs are jamming at the start of the bucking in the hop up chamber, so the hop up being on or off has no effect on where they are getting stuck.

I ended up trimming away a tiny bit of the bucking lip, this did not help, and looking down the hop up unit with the bucking and barrel in, the bucking is still perfectly circular in the hop up.

6. Napple

Napple New Member

This hapenned to me a longggggg time ago... I know this is going to sound crazy but it might be your tappet plate

7. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    Did you break in your magazines? I've forgotten to break in mine, and the gun would just dry fire with the magazine in. Once it's properly lubed, if fired as it should.

8. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

About 90% of misfeeds are caused by the mag. I would suggest puting some silicone in the mag.

9. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    [​IMG]

10. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    Like I said, it is not actually misfeeding, the bbs are getting stuck in the hop up somehow. The mag feeds into the hop up perfectly fine

My tappet plate is fine, it moves the nozzle like it is supposed to, and it doesnt lock up.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  11. Nelson

Spokane
    Take out your bucking, try shooting, put in a different bucking, try shooting. Just a few options. Cut off the end of the bucking the bb goes in completely, on a different bucking you don't need, so the barrel is still stable in the hop up, and see if your bbs make it into the barrel and fire.

12. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    Ok so i removed the upper receiver and tried to fire the gun with just the inner barrel.

I pushed it tightly up against the air nozzle, and not a single bb got clogged.

It cannot be that the air nozzle is not long enough because it worked fine before.

I know exactly what the problem was, I switched out my plastic aim top body for a matrix metal one. There must have been a very slight difference between the two bodies which made the hop up unit not sit tightly with the gearbox.

I am going to do some quick electrical tape mods and I will get back with you guys on whether it worked or not.

13. GreenListerine

GreenListerine New Member

Listen to this if all else fails. It's rare that this is the problem, but sometimes your tappet will appear to be fine when it's actually the problem

14. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    I FIXED IT!!!!

Ok, so it wasnt even that the hop up was not tight against the air nozzle...

So anyway, know how the charging handle is attached to a spring which is attached to a little white piece attached to the upper receiver via a screw? Well for some reason, that was getting in the way and pushing down on the hop up arm so much that the nub was 1/3 the way into the barrel. I removed the white piece and used a smaller screw to attach the screw directly to the upper receiver.

The gun now fires and I am lovin it :D

Sad thing is, out of desperation to get my gun working (I have a huge 60+ person game this sunday), I ended up buying a brand new bucking and air nozzle with speedy shipping to get it here on time :(

But I guess they will make good backups, and I am thankful I got my gun working.

I appreciate all of your help, and I am sorry that the problem actually had nothing to do with the internals. Thanks again :D

15. Nelson

Spokane
    I would never have guess that haha I'm glad it's working finally and no prob if you have more questions feel free to ask.

16. airsoftdominator

airsoftdominator New Member

What type of bbs are you using? Watch the "how to ruin you gearbox with crappy bbs" by airsoft megastore to see what I mean.

17. Nelson

Spokane
    The problem has already been solved the OP figured it out. Thanks for your input though.