Redi-Mag

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by YoYo-Pete, Nov 1, 2012.

1. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    I'm running VFC HK416 AEG. Would a Redi-Mag system be compatible with it? Or do I have to get the G&G knock off specifically for airsoft?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    VFC pride themselves on real steel compliance so it should work just fine. there are other companies outside G&G that make them as well though...

3. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    I found the End Cap for the lower receiver where the buffer tube enters to not be in spec. AR tool would not fit properly.

Any recommendations? Should I go with the real steel version, try the G&G? Find another?

4. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Can I ask why you want a redi-mag in the first place? They don't really speed things up if you're not dropping your spent mag. Since you pay for those, you'll want to stowe it in a drop pouch, which means you're still fumbling with it as you complete your mag change. If you learn how to do a good administrative reload, you can get a fresh mag in your gun in 2-3 seconds. A redi/mag just adds more weight and more complication to your change.

That said, get an airsoft version, G&G should be fine. You know it will work well with the mag release and receiver width (that would be your biggest problem with a real one, airsoft receivers are quite a bit wider than real ARs.)

5. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    I know... I know in Airsoft we're going to be doing tactical reloads instead of a speed reload and realistically there's not a situation where I need the time savings the redi-mag would provide. That being said, in a situation, I can always retrieve before I move if I perform a speed reload.

In all honesty... I dig the aesthetics of it, and I plan on using one on my real steel rifle (when I get it down the road). In the Magpul Art of the Tactical Carbine videos, Travis runs one and I thought it was hot. Made me want to run one.

My airsoft rifle, I plan on to the best of my ability, use it as a real rifle so that I am consistent with training so that it becomes second nature and I become fast and proficient at it.

I'd be that fast on my reloads if I had some magpuls or better gear that had mag pouches I could get into easier. :/

6. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    That's as good a reason as you need. AEG receivers are quite a bit wider than real steel receivers (PTW receivers are on spec, as are many GBB receivers), so I believe you will need an airsoft version. If you do get a PTW eventually, as you've mentioned, you'd want a real steel one. You might want to wait on the redi-mag until then if you think it'll be relatively soon. If not, go with the G&G, but be warned that you'll probably have a hard time selling the airsoft version down the road if you want to. I've never seen anybody use a redi-mag that wasn't meant to hold a battery (before the days of buffer tube lipos).

7. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    I'm totally okay with that... The PTW is a bit down the road... Hope to make it happen by spring/summer. I've started putting money away for it, So might be as early as January, but stuff always seems to happen. Going to lay low and try to save up quick though.

I dont know if I'd get rid of the 416. I'd move some of the accessories over, like tac light and MBUS, (well probably.. maybe I'd keep the 416 as is). I like it and it's sweet. Plus for $36, I'm not too worried about if it doesnt get used after a PTW is my primary.

And it would make my setup a little unique... that's always fun. Seems better solution than a bunch of coupled mags anyway.