Removing LCT AK74MN rear sight block

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by naamtune, Jan 7, 2013.

1. naamtune

naamtune Member

Redlands
    So, it's been two days now that I've been trying to get this rear sight block off. There were two grub screws that held the underside outer barrel, which I removed. But the problem is that the pin can't be removed for some reason. There is a pin that pinned the rear sight block and outerbarrel together. I honestly don't think the pin is glued anymore. I've blowtorched it, set it over the fire for ten minutes, tried to hammer the pin out with several tools, and it won't even bulge. So, anyone here with an LCT Ak74MN or similar experience knows how to take this thing off? I only need the pin out to move the rear sight forward so I can twist the outer barrel in to the receiver. The only thing I could think of is to drill press the pin out, and it's the last route I want to take.

Attached Files:

2. naamtune

naamtune Member

Redlands
    So I did whatever I could and no luck. So instead I went and contacted Fox Airsoft. They were supportive enough to be willing to purchase and import the separate parts for me. I guess I have another part to throw in to my piles of airsoft parts.

3. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Maybe the pin is a taper pin (wider at one end)? Have you tried hammering it the other way?

4. naamtune

naamtune Member

Redlands
    That's what I thought too, but it still wouldn't bulge, so it can't be a tapered pin. The two pictures I attached are two different sides. You can see in the second picture how much force I used to try to hammer the pin out. Same with the other side in the first picture. I'm out of idea from my end, and I don't want to use the drill press; that'll take forever and it's not worth the effort.

5. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Have you tried heating it up a bit?

6. naamtune

naamtune Member

Redlands
    Yes, I've blowtorched it first. When that didn't work I went and let it sit on the stove over the fire for a few minutes before hammering it out. That didn't work either. I've contacted Matt at Fox Airsoft and he said that he can order the individual parts for me and he'll throw in an additional part for free. So I guess I'll just let this sit in the piles for later down the road when I have another AK project.

7. guineypig

guineypig Member

Foster City
    Out of interest - how did you get this off in the first place?

Also make sure you let the guys at Fox know that this is the older style LCT design, the newer style uses a different configuration barrel, so it (probably) wont fit.

8. naamtune

naamtune Member

Redlands
    I forgot to post the update earlier today, but I got the pin out, finally.

@guineypig I never got the pin or the two parts off until earlier today.