Removing the RIS and Outer Barrel from a CA M15A4

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by bobsicle, Nov 25, 2012.

1. bobsicle

bobsicle New Member

San Jose
    Hey all! I've decided that I wanted to turn my CA M15A4 into a MK18 Mod 0.5. I have some of the accessories, and am about to purchase the rest (excluding the 553 or SpecterDR or Comp M4).
    Problem is, my barrel length is completely off. I tried taking off the RIS today, but couldn't. I can remove the bottom part, but cannot even budge the top part, and fear exerting more force in case I break something important. The RIS can stay, but the outer barrel cannot :mad: and I need to get the RIS off to get the outer barrel off.
    Would twisting the barrel nut help with this? I know it has to be loosened for the outer barrel to come off, but even if I bought an armorer's wrench to remove it, I can't use it, because the RIS blocks access to 3/4ths of the ring. It can't be budged right now either :confused:
    If anyone has any experience with taking off the outer barrel and RIS, or just wants to speculate, any and all replies will be appreciated. Thanks!

2. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    I might be able to help you but I need a few things.
    1) exact model of your gun (ex: 2009 CA M15A4 PMC)
    2) pictures would help.

3. bobsicle

bobsicle New Member

San Jose
    Pics will come after I finish writing my Lit essay :eek: but details are as follows:
    - Classic Army M15A4 Sportline (The one with the RIS, Crane Stock, front triangle sight)
    - Bought it around 2010

Edit: Pictures!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  4. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    There's a screw in the top of the RIS near the delta ring that you need to remove first. This screw presses a small lever type mechanism (visible in your first picture between the barrel and inside of the RIS) into the barrel, effectively pinning the rail between the barrel and delta ring, locking it in place. The screw is visible from the outside of the rail system. You don't want to unscrew in the bottom of the barrel (picture 1) yet.

[edit] This is the placement of the screw, though I don't expect it to look quite like this. Most airsoft versions are a bit more subtle:

[​IMG]

And on second thought, unscrewing the two piece barrel might give you some extra wiggle room, though the rail would still be locked into the barrel nut and delta ring, so I don't know if it would actually help or just give you a loose tube to deal with while you're yanking and tugging.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  5. bobsicle

bobsicle New Member

San Jose
    Thanks Kneif, will be trying to remove it shortly. Will update quickly.

Update: Love ya Kneif.

However, I have no idea how to take out the outer barrel. I already took out the grub screw, but have no idea how to proceed from there on. Pics related.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  6. Knief

Ann Arbor
    It looks like there's a second grub screw sticking out on the top there in the last picture. If so, remove that and the barrel should just slide out. If not, then the barrel should just slide out. You might just need to use some force.

7. bobsicle

bobsicle New Member

San Jose
    Alright, I did it. Finally. Thanks for the help Knief :) It isn't the first time you've helped either ;)

For those of you who may one day be stuck in a similar situation, here's how. There were two grub screws (like Knief saw) that needed to be removed. Once removed, the outer barrel could be twisted out slowly, since there was only friction holding it it.

Now I just have to buy a 10.5 barrel and try to put my gun back together :eek:

8. willstar150

willstar150 New Member

how do you get the delta ring off and barrel nut? thats my problem

9. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    Do you have an armorers wrench?

10. Knief

Ann Arbor
    You unscrew it. You need, as Surfer said, an armorers wrench. You can use channel locks but you risk damaging the barrel nut and receiver.

11. bobsicle

bobsicle New Member

San Jose
    Luckily, my delta ring wasn't on too tight, so I used channel locks to remove it. It did damage the paint on the delta ring "spokes" however.