Replacement gun for Son... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Psymon, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Psymon

Psymon New Member

Pasadena
    I bought my son an Echo 1 JP-30 (Troy) but I really don't like it..

The problems with it...

1. Two part top rail, the part that's on the GUN Upper isn't the correct size, so optics are hard, or impossible in my case to attach without pushing them down onto the RIS section.

2. Hop-up won't adjust to lower the hop up enough to shoot strait at 50 feet. I'm guessing if I back it up to 100 feet it'll start dropping, but it makes it pretty inaccurate.

3. The end of the crane stock have plugs that get knocked out when you collapse all the way (which my son needs because hes small)

So I'm calling Airsoftatlanta tomorrow to see about an exchange. I am willing to put up another $100 bucks to get a better gun..

What's important to me.

1. It's gotta be durable externals.. It's for a 7yr old. (I know too young for airsoft, but its safer then a BB-Gun, and he likes to shoot with Dad)

2. Light weight. NOT CHEAP light, but no heavier then it has to be..

3. Easy to work on.. I have a workbench set up to work on the guns, I'm mechanical, but haven't worked on airsoft guns, but honestly they seem very simple.. I would like to do the work myself..

OPTIONS

1. http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/H-K-Metal-Body-MP5A4-AEG-Gun-p/65406.htm MP5 But it's not the easiest to work on...

2. http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/G-G-GR15-Raider-Blow-Back-AEG-Long-Black-p/34071.htm This gun seems to be the best bang for the buck..

3.http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/VFC-M4-Carbine-AEG-p/62061.htm
    It's $100 more then the others, no RIS, and its wired to the front.. never rewired a gun, but it seems very doable.. is it worth $100?

I'm open to anything else airsoftatlanta sells, but they really dont' have much..

2. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    I'd go with the G&G. Like you stated, it should be the best bang for the buck, and it'll perform great and it's light

3. iZazzil

iZazzil Active Member

Grapevine
    If you have the money, definitely go for the VFC.

4. Psymon

Psymon New Member

Pasadena
    I don't mind paying more, but what am I getting for that $100 bucks.. Is there $100 more gun in the VFC?

I'm waiting on my VFC H&K 417 to get here from Evike! So, I'm obviously a fan.

5. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    Yes. But for a seven year old, I don't know. Maybe go to the store and check it out, it may be too heavy. The G&G is very light

6. iZazzil

iZazzil Active Member

Grapevine
    Oh I forgot that it was for a 7 year old. Yes its going to be too heavy for him.

7. Kevin468

Kevin468 New Member

Somerset
    I,d recommend the KWA CQR mod 2. It's the cheapest KWA AEG. and it's polymer but feels for sturdy than my full metal G&G. For a polymer gun it's pretty heavy. But i'd still 100% recommend it.

8. iZazzil

iZazzil Active Member

Grapevine
    He said he's planning to upgrade. KWA's are not good if your planning on doing anything internally. OP, what kind of internal work are you willing to do? Because to get a CM skirmish ready, you will need to replace a lot. I say this all the time and I will say it again, JG's are tanks. They have a plastic body that is lightweight, and you would only have to shim, adjust AoE, and maybe replace the hop up.

9. Psymon

Psymon New Member

Pasadena
    Well I've never shimmed or did AoE correction, but I'm not unwilling to do it.. I'll be doing it to my 417 when it gets here in 5 days. I'm not entirely sure about shimming, but I have seen AoE correction done.. So I'm a little more knowledgeable about the result I'm looking for at least with that. Any links to good info on these you might have? This forums search feature is Dodgey at Best. (Shame too because the Moderators are uptight when you don't search..)

10. iZazzil

iZazzil Active Member

Grapevine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8LKhM79McM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This guy also has an AoE guide if you want to warheads that as well.

11. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero Active Member

Jg m4 would work. Or the jg g3's which are on sale at airsoft gi right now.

12. Kevin468

Kevin468 New Member

Somerset
    Oh srry I didnt see that he wants to upgrade. If you are willing to upgrade them go with JG or spend a little more for a G&P. KWAs are great stock. But if you wna upgrade then I wouldn't recommend KWA

13. TheLost

TheLost Conductor of the Poop Train Supporting Member

Columbus
    I'm actually gutting my main gun and replacing the receivers as the GB with G&P. I'd go with a G&P, like their 281 series (it's in the item code).

14. Axis

Axis Active Member Supporting Member

Okay, here are my recommendations, plain and simple.

JG M4: Lightweight, durable, easy to work on, will last a good while even if it's not worked on, fully TM compatible (will take virtually any V2 GB parts), wired to the front. Also compatible with most external upgrades if you wanted a different stock or handguard.

JG MK36c: Lightweight, durable, easy to work on, will last a good while even if it's not worked on, fully TM compatible (will take virtually any V3 GB parts), wired to the front. Strictly limited on external upgrades compared to the M4.

JG MP5: Lightweight, durable, not hard nor easy to work on, will last a good while even if it's not worked on, fully TM compatible (will take virtually any V3 GB parts), wired to the front or back depending on what model MP5. Even more strictly limited on external upgrades.

Basically, I'd say JG is your best bet in this circumstance. They offer durable, light guns that are easy to work on. All of the guns I listed above also feature collapsible/folding stocks, so you shouldn't have a problem with the gun being too big for him.

15. schultzebomb

schultzebomb New Member

Monterey
    He is 7 right? And a light gun is needed, couldnt you honestly just get him a double eagle just for shooting in the backyard? Since he is so young there is no need for high powered AEGs, but if a regular AEG is needed, get a jg (plastic body) m4, g36c, mp5, etc. or a CM, they are very light. ICS mp5s are very very light aswell, only about 3.8 lbs for the full metal ones, so i would assume the plastic sportslines are even lighter. ICS mp5s are very easy to work on. You could also get him an ICS m4 sportline, which would be light due to the plastic and easy to work on aswell.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  16. L5132

L5132 Active Member

Duluth
    MP5s take V2 GBs, MP5Ks take V3s.

17. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

The VFC and G&G will give you the best out of the links you provided. I've put over 29,000 rounds through my G&G and played in the rain and snow with it and soaked it and it still hasn't once failed me.

18. L5132

L5132 Active Member

Duluth
    Lonex M4s are the best stock guns on the market right now.

19. Yokomohoyo

Yokomohoyo New Member

San Juan
    Get him a JG m733 their small and light and you can upgrade it with the money you have left over.

20. llbb010

llbb010 New Member

What about a pistol? Just wondering. I have a CZ 75D compact GBB and it is light and I can't even feel the recoil. I got it for Christmas. It is pretty efficient on Co2 about 80-100 BBs out of one cartridge. It was only $60 on amazon.