Request: Gearbox Failure Photos

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by aotsukisho, Jun 4, 2020.

1. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

I've searched around and there is a surprisingly few number of photos of mechanical gearbox shell failure aka "v2 cracking". There are way more photos showing up on how to properly radius or do other modifications to mitigate it. In order to better understand differences between each companies' particular casting alloy and the effect of different styles of gearbox design (usually combined attributes) I am interested in seeing if there is a trend particular to companies' designs in terms of specifically how they fail.

I understand that this is going to be majority v2 type gearboxes, which is fine. I personally am mostly interested in v2 and v3 anyway. However, photos of any version gearbox with any type of catastrophic mechanical failure is welcome to demonstrate failure methods.

If possible, please include the brand of gearbox if that information is available. I'll kick off the thread with some that I found around the web. There is quite a few photos but few of same brand, I am interested in getting as many data points as possible.

C059E1B3-A1C0-4D79-A7B6-D1211D1493AF.jpeg A&K v2

gg.jpg
    G&G v2

n1lgggdyg4321.jpg
    G&G v2

jg.jpg
    JG v2

ka.jpg
    King Arms v2

kwa.jpg
    KWA v2 (original)

crack3.jpg
    Modify v2

crack2.gif
    Systema v2

crack1.jpg
    Unknown brand v2 (VFC?)

Cracked-Airsoft-Gearbox-Shell-150x150.jpg
    Unknown brand v2 (Tokyo Marui)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    You KWA one is gen 1. 2GX does not break very easily.

The one of the Colt is a TM

aotsukisho likes this.

3. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    The first unknown is a vfc I believe.

4. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    Second unknown looks like a tm since it has the two piece hop up and the color of the shell.

5. Gray.

Gray. New Member

The front of the gearbox cracked, but only on half of the shell. (At least for now)
    IMG_20201024_151232493.jpg

aotsukisho likes this.