Resume Help

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by wippyt, Sep 11, 2012.

1. wippyt

wippyt New Member

Hager City
    Hello I have never previously filled out a resume because I've just been doing here and there jobs and I have some questions.
    1. How long should I work for someone to be able to put them under the recent employers page and
    2. I was the manager for my high school wrestling team for the past three years, could I put that on a resume. If I could then should I put it under references or previous employments.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    When listing your jobs, list them from newest (most recent) to oldest, but do not go more than seven years unless one job was longer than seven years. For example, I worked at a job for over 15 years, all my other jobs were around two years, so I list all four jobs because one job was longer than seven years but the others were not.

Unless you got paid for it, do not list anything under work experience unles it was a real job. List your wrestling management under activities or hobbies. You could also list it under extra curriculars or education related, but as I said, unless you got paid for it, do not list it under work experience.

There is a basic layout you can follow:

Standard information:
    Name, address, etc. Contact information, D of B, all your basic information. Think of what you would put on a typical Job application.

Objective:
    List what you intend to accomplish with the resume, use active voice, not passive voice.

Education:
    List all of your education experience, starting with most recent and ending with high school

Professional Experience:
    Most recent job to the oldest job
    With each job, list the basic information, employer's name, address, etc.
    Also list contact information, positions held, and job responsibilities

Hobbies and Interests:
    List each major hobbie or extra curricular activity and a brief descriiption of the activity and skills and responsibilities required or performed

Accreditations and Awrds:
    List any certifications, accreditations, and awards that express your skills or abilities that will make you a better choice for the job

Additional Information:
    Finish with a statement that additional information can be made available upon request.

Hope this helps.

3. wippyt

wippyt New Member

Hager City
    Thanks for the help.

4. BoogerMc

Akron
    Shifty, the image isn't showing.

However, if it is what I think it is, I must say that I researched resumes for a month and still couldn't find a lot of good information. Sometimes it is best to get it through word of mouth. Most of the job sites want you to pay for information and many simply can't afford their prices, which can range between $100 to $200 a pop.

Most of them just use a cookie cutter program to throw your information together with no regard to your personal needs. One can find this kind of help by using an MS Word template and filling in the blanks; of course, if one is going to do this, one might as well just bypass the middle man and chuck it in the trash themselves.

It never hurts to give some friendly, helpful advice.

5. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    Sorry, it was a link to google after I typed in "How to write a CV".
    Apparently something got messed up on my Android.

6. BoogerMc

Akron
    Ok, what's a CV? Never heard of that designation.

7. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
  8. BoogerMc

Akron
    Oh, so in other words, it's a resume condensed. It's what I call an application cheat sheet, contains just the basic information needed to fill out a typical application and maybe a few extra details.

Given this, you have my aplogies, Shifty, I thought the link was just another, "Use Google" comment type thing. Sometimes that is just not enough because it can be very difficult to find certain items unless you really know what to look for or where to look. I can't tell you how frustrating it can get to be researching something for school and no matter how you input your search criteria, you get jack.

9. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    If course you chose SR25 as the name of the school Sdsport

10. BoogerMc

Akron
    Although it might be nice to highlight certain items, calling them something they are not will only lead to issues, such as falsification of information which is almost always grounds for immediate termination. If you want to highlight something, that's fine, but do it right.

I do agree with the statement that you should relate it to what you have learned and how that experience will make you the ideal candidate for the job you seek, but that is what a cover letter is for, not your resume. A resume is more or less a glorified job application, it should contain facts, not opinions and certainly not stretched truths.

If you really want some personal help, and assuming you are young, perhaps just out of high school or college, talk to a school counselor, especially your academic counselor or a business teacher. They will be able to give you examples of proper resumes, show you places to get good advice, and maybe even start you on the right path toward an ideal job or career.

Another great source of information is Monster.com. They have resources and links to other sites that can help you out a lot. It helped me find a lot of important and directly related information. Additionally, there are job postings to look at and descriptions to use as examples of what information employers are looking for in your reume. Such as, do you know how to use certain programs like MS Office or Lightwave. This is very specific information that a company may be looking for and if included, it will pull them to your resume by keyword search.

Good luck in your endeavors.