Retro Arms bushing/bearing holes are badly off?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Ben3721, Sep 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

I'm actually impressed you figured all that out so easily lol

When it comes to reinforced, the only spot I like to see thicker is the top rail above the cylinder, some cheapo shells hollow it out to use less metal and it gives me anxiety that it will crack. The rest is deadweight but it does help keep gear grease out of the compression area a little bit. Down by where the motor shaft is, the extra motor tower support is nice to have too.

I'd much rather have a light aluminum shell, but besides for retro arms it's hard to get something of quality on the US market, there are a bunch of aluminum gelsoft shells I'd like to see over here.

Who was first to make a "reinforced shell"?

The only legit one is lonex with the front end and proprietary tappet to go with it. Some of the newer kwa shells are beefy up front too.

Honestly I'm just happy my main gun works again. Kinda weird that I have a systema oem shell, always found their crap to be too simple to be so overpriced. I didn't know they could use a mold for that long before it has consistency issues.

The retro arms shell also had various thickness all over sections that should have been consistent.

Still mind blown you ID'ed this shell ha.

2. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs

3. Ben3721

It was from a airsoft field store online. I bet it was old stock. But imma run it till they wear out anyways. Should give me another 5 to 10 years out of this m4. The packaging said 45 bucks but I wonder if that was like a in store price.

It fit my evike g&p receiver perfectly when some other shells did not.

4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    The key was all the Reinforcement in the "Wrong" spots.

To sell something that is stronger than a stock open cavity mechbox, they had to add material.

Only place the could add material was in the back by the gears. Which of course does no good for the cracking issues up front.

But, on a technically they could sell it as "reinforced".

Then someone got a hold of the die and they just made an insert to cover up SystemA.

Both these mechboxes are very close to "true" TM spec and thus...they should fit a G&P.

Ben3721 likes this.
  5. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    Well, at least they got something right.

6. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

G&G G2 shells are actually reinforced to a degree up front, the tappet plate is narrower to compensate for more material inside the shell.

[​IMG]

Ben3721 likes this.
  7. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    I've had a tappet plate break right there, and I wonder if growing the gearbox but shrinking the tappet plate is really the best option. There are things you can do to a weak GB (sorbo, radiusing, etc.), but if your tappet decides to snap, you're screwed.

I don't know. It's a step in the right direction anyway.

8. Ben3721

Tappets rarely break unless it's getting pulled back further than it can handle. The fin breaks off, I don't think it's possible to break the front off a tappet.

In fact I sand the front of my tappets to the point they are basically half as thick as they were before for more travel. Some gearboxes and cylinder heads have different limits of forward and back movement of the tappet.

9. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    I had a stock ICS ak tappet plate break on that angle right there, so it does happen. It may just be ICS (I have heard that they have that problem), but thinning the plate isn't always a good idea.

10. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    It really depends on the material and the maker.

I would not generalize all items as one and the same and each should be evaluated on a case by case basis.

OutlawAirsoft likes this.
  11. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    Ok now ID these!

[​IMG]

12. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    How about opening them up...are those casting pits on the two on the left?

13. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    I got to contact the seller. I will try to get more pictures posted here in a bit...

14. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Your having me ID things from another guy...sheesh...

Just guessing from the images.

Left two are variants of A&K Mechboxes.
    Second from right looks like a APS mechbox (can't tell if there are slot in the back by the top) and the last one most likely a JG/GE mechbox.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  15. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    Sorry... I need a gearbox!!!

I can see that the right most one has echo1 molded into the side. Did JG/GE use echo1 shells/molds?

I will just assume that these gearboxes are not the best to buy...

16. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Echo1 products are all rebrands of other products.

17. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    I think we should give this "improper placement of the bushing hole" problem a name. I hate having to type all that out every-time we bring the problem up. Suggestions anyone?

18. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    How about - We don't made items to a standard and you are just forced to buy our crud anyways mechbox search?

Ben3721 likes this.
  19. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    I like where your head is, but maybe a shorter name:D!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  20. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Part(s) that may fit.