Rich635's Build Thread

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by rich635, Dec 23, 2012.

1. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    Well AS, I guess it's time to finally make an actual build thread. I'll be updating and asking questions, feel free to leave suggestions and answers.

Guns:

-Dboys 614
    -JG G36
    -CA SR25
    -G&P M16
    -Matrix PDW

Day 1 (12/22/12)

-Currently R-hopping 614 (bucking and arm awaiting modification/M-nub)
    -614 and G36 shimmed and AoE corrected
    -G36 regreased (614 still needs to be)
    -JG piston shortstroke failure (probably going to have to buy M100s now...)
    -Madbull 6.03s installed in 614 (407mm, need longer mock silencer) and G36 (247mm)
    -SHS 7 steel teeth piston + JG piston head + X High-Tech cylinder (for extended barrel) installed in 614 (need to fix compression)
    -DBoys piston + head installed in G36 (compression good)
    -SHS 7mm bushings installed in 614 and G36
    -Stock wires/fuses cut and uninstalled in G36 and 614 (need to solder on 16AWG)
    -SR25 bucking (Lonex 70) flat-hopped (awaiting R-hop) and M-nub installed
    -Lonex A2 installed in SR25, Lonex A3 installed in G36, Lonex A1 stolen from PDW and installed in 614 (CA Torque awaiting installation in PDW)
    -SR25 PMAGs modified to fit CA (very messy, but it works...HOW DID YOU DO YOURS EDI/SDSPORT???)
    -One (1) can of Pepsi Next drunken

Plans for Day 2 (12/26/12):
    -finish hop-ups/barrels
    -clean and regrease everything
    -solder everything (deans + main wiring)
    -install externals
    -start SR25 internals
    -somehow find money to buy necessary parts (listed below)

Parts still needed:
    -M100s (3)
    -MOSFETs (probably $15 ones, MAYBE a high-end programmable one for the SR25)
    -Metal ball bearing spring guide (probably SHS, 1-2)
    -Air Nozzle (O-rings, 2-3)
    -Scope mount (dual 30mm)
    -Longer mock suppressor (probably 150mm)
    -Magpul stock (forgot to order it...)
    -Dummy bolts (3)
    -6.01 TBB (maybe, 229mm for PDW)
    -Replica Magpul MS2/3 sling (Maybe, it's always useful)
    -G36 hop-up (maybe, JG one looks to have cracked, but still functional)
    -MICH 2001 accessories (completely unrelated to build, I just need them :p)
    -.30 or higher 6mm BBs (maybe, .28s might be a little light for M140)
    -Guarder G17 metal outer barrel (black, my G17 looks weird with the orange tip...)

I'll be updating along the way! So far, everything but the short-stroking looks good (if you count torn-up 7.62 PMAGS as good-looking...).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    Quite an impressive list of guns, are they all yours, or customer guns? Why don't you just do 1 gun at a time as opposed to doing like half of each one every day? Maybe it's just I can't keep track of more then 1 set of parts, but it seems inefficient.

3. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    I actually planned to stick to one, but when I broke the JG piston, I decided to open up the DBoys to steal a piston, and from there I started working on both. Near the end of the day, I decided to open up the CA25 to test one of the modified PMAGs (wasn't seating properly), and I took out the hop-up for fun, started working on it for R-hop, halfway through I realized the patch fit better in the Madbull 6.03 (Z-kit), so I tuned it for that instead, after already prepping the bucking and arm on the CA. And I don't think anyone would trust me with their guns, it's actually my first time seriously teching (I think Uller should know this...).

4. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Don't push yourself too hard on this. Make sure you're patient with it! Also, if you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them as will everyone else. Good luck, Rich! I'll be awaiting the results. Drop the 6.01mm TBB. Bad idea if you want to engage past 200.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  5. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    I think I'm fine, shimming and AoE correction was easy enough (though the PMAG was a considerable foe). And the 6.01 (if I bought it) would be for the PDW, mainly for CQB action.

6. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    Well his builds probably won't be able to engage at 200 anyways.

7. milkshake38

milkshake38 New Member

irvine
    Put up pictures as you go along...for science? Lol
    I want a CA25 :(

8. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    Quick update.

-R-hopped the 614 and SR25, they seem to be working (no jams, no ridiculous over-hopping, though I do need a bigger place to test)
    -Opened up the PDW and shimmed and AoE corrected
    -Uninstalled outer barrel and rail on SR25
    -About to open up the SR25 and do any work that's needed there, right now all I have is the usual tuning, as well as a piston head and a gearset change. I might do a spring change, but I'm worrying it'll put me over 450FPS.

Question: around how much FPS would an SHS M140 with standard compression, no short-stroking and a 6.03 put me at? A quick conversion puts that at ~460FPS, so I wonder if I need an M130, I should cut the spring (iffy on that, the elongated gearbox has me worried enough), or I could leave it in.

-I still need an SHS 19 teeth piston (and money to buy it...), as well as a few hardware parts
    -Putting off the soldering until tomorrow, after that I'll be able to put together and test everything

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  9. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    As of today:

-SR25 opened up, SHS gears installed and shimmed, tamiya cut. Got a UFC piston (looks exactly like the SHS one), will AoE correct and install when I have time.
    -Was about to solder, forgot the lighter/heat gun. Soon.
    -Got an M249, want to upgrade to ~35 RPS on an M110. Any suggestions? Right now I'm thinking just a ZCI 13:1 gearset, SHS 15t piston, and I'm debating which motor I should use. I also have to fix the wiring, previous owner said just a trigger contact replacement would do, I'll open it up and see what's up. That'll happen after I solder and put together the other guns though.
    -Sold my VFC SCAR, I have $350 in the bank to spend on select things. I don't think I'll have enough for a new gun (though I want a VFC SR-16 SOOOO BAD), I'll be using that for a bunch of parts.

Question: Should I run the stock motor (Echo 1 M249, guessing it's A&K), the JG short that came in my G36C, or buy a Lonex A2?

Question 2: Should I spend the extra money on new pistons/gearsets for my G36C, PDW, and/or 614? Right now they're using stock pistons and gearsets (except for an SHS 7t piston on the 614), and RoF isn't my greatest concern, though it helps. I'm mainly looking for ~20-25RPS on an 11.1v for the G36C and the 614, the G36 already has a Lonex A3 so I think I'm good on that, however I'm debating whether or not I should drop money on a new gearset for the 614. Also, would new pistons be necessary?

10. Uller

Uller Active Member

Topeka
    I do know and it was addressed,that was then this is now.Its good to see you getting your hands dirty.Like was expressed earlier,work on one at a time.It will take you ages to finish one at this rate,and you risk making mistakes.

11. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    Well I opened up what I thought to be a G&P M16 today...I found a JG box and motor. Good and bad, bad since I'm probably going to have to replace more parts than I planned to (was thinking of just tuning and piston swapping, now I'm thinking of some more stuff), good because it's already been tuned and was hitting the same RPS of a KWA SR10 on a 9.6v large. I have a bunch of questions now.

1. How do you tell if the JG motor is an M41 or M42? It's a Golden Eagle "Super High Power", same one that came with my G36, albeit a long type. And how does it compare to a Classic Army High Torque (stock one that came with my CA25)? I'm using it for medium speed and good trigger response, less for torque (pretty weak spring).

2. Dboys (Chao-Li) or JG (GE High Power) short-type motor for an M249? It'll be pushing a really weak spring (less than 350FPS) with XYT 18:1 gears, I'm just wondering which one I should use. Looking for efficiency, without being too slow.

Here's a chart with my preliminary parts list. Key is in the upper-right hand corner. Give me some feedback!
    [​IMG]

*Note: M95 springs are there because M100s are usually more expensive (Element has their M95s at $2 a pop) and M105s are a tiny bit too powerful.

12. Njnewland

Njnewland New Member Lifetime Supporter

Cherryville
    To figure out the motors; what color is the endbell?

13. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    Long type is black with blue endbell, short is black on black. Both say "Golden Eagle Super High Power" on them. I suspect the long type is an M42, but I have no clue about the short one.

14. Njnewland

Njnewland New Member Lifetime Supporter

Cherryville
    Long type is an m42.

I believe the stock one is just a ferrite motor. So not the greatest.

15. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    That's odd, considering they have the same exact sticker...so would the Dboys (Chao-Li) motor be better? Not really looking into getting a new motor, I was considering a Lonex, but they're running out of stock everywhere D: Also, which would be better for medium speed and good trigger response, CA HT or the JG M42? And any comments on the chart?

16. S0m3_0n3

S0m3_0n3 New Member

Does the short jg/ge motor have neo or ferrite magnets? If it has neo magnets, use that one, otherwise there probably won't be a huge difference in performance

As for the CA vs the JG, CA would probably be faster. M42s are possibly the slowest motor on the market, stupid amount of torque though.

On the m16, I would've left the stock gears in since you aren't changing the gear ratio and jg gears are pretty strong.

17. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    I actually switched them because I'd rather have the stronger gears be inside the support weapon. I am considering buying a set of ZCI 16:1s for the SR-16 instead, anyone have experience with them? Also, I noticed that the JG box had an "SB" on the side of it. Research leads me to it being a 6mm shell used in stock JGs. Not getting a new motor leaves barely enough for a Lonex shell. Would it be worth it? Or should the stock shell be fine?

18. NSW-DoubleTap

NSW-DoubleTap New Member

Rowland Heights
    ZCI's are pretty dang quiet... only if your motor is seated correctly in the GB :). My 13:1s are purring when I shoot my gun now. Before I figured out my problem, it was like a banshee screaming whilst grinding metal against metal. Still, while I was figuring out the problem, I've shot my M4 with the grinding gears for over 300 shots. Opened it up and they still look new. Just my lil testament. If you're holding off buying new gears for like 2 more weeks, pm me and I can give ya some more detailed feedback on it after a game.

19. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    Thanks for that, I'll probably be getting them simply because I like speed :D

Another question: how's the trigger response in the JG M42? I'm considering swapping out the Lonex A2 in the SR25 with the JG Blue, and putting the Lonex in the SR-16, along with the 16:1s. I'm aiming for ~30RPS with the SR-16, and good trigger response in the SR25. I'm guessing MOSFET + 11.1v would provide good results anyways, but I'm wondering.

EDIT: Also, can anyone recommend a good AB MOSFET? All I know of is the Infected Armory one.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  20. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    Well, after doing a little thinking and looking over all my extra parts, I think I'm going to just build another gun. It won't exactly be a Franken-M4, but close. Leftover CA25 URX rail and outer barrel, leftover Magpul MOE grip (OD), leftover JG gearbox (I'm actually ordering a Lonex drop-in for the SR-16, I'm just giving the JG box a tune-up and some mods), leftover G&P hop-up, leftover CA inner barrel, leftover bucking (probably a JG or DBoys, I ripped my CA...), leftover BUIS (debating whether Troy or MBUS), used motor (from the classifieds, maybe an EG1000 or Turbo 3000), used flash hider (from a classified), new receiver (full metal STAG), new buffer tube, new Magpul stock, new XTMs, maybe some leftover misc. accessories. Planning to build it, then sell it for mid to high $200s. Thoughts?