Rifled barrels

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by 6GUN, Oct 6, 2012.

1. 6GUN

6GUN New Member

Tried the search feature but it didn't spit anything out. Is there a rifled barrel out there for an m4 carbine or any other airsoft guns or is it something unpractical?

2. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

The BBs can't take the spin and will break up inside the barrel. They are just too weak for a rifled barrel. Also, the BBs are round so I suspect that they would get little help out of the barrel (don't quote me on that).

3. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    The TK Twist barrel is the only one out there IIRC.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  4. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    Yup, TK twist. It only works for around TM velocity, though. It doesn't actually rifle, however, it just floats the BB in the middle of the barrel to prevent it from bouncing, excellent for CQB from what I hear.

5. 6GUN

6GUN New Member

Thanks fellas. I'm new to airsoft and thought of getting a rifled barrel for my gun. Sounds like a waste of time though. My local field is outdoor with a couple of cqb huts in it.

6. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    They exist and have been out for a looong time.
    Here's the nitty gritty. They don't work at all on guns shooting over 350FPS.
    They were originally made for TM guns. I've seen a couple in action, I was somewhat impressed with the accuracy, but you have to use high quality BBs. You instantly know low quality BBs because they actually spiral in flight.

7. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    No real point in a rifled barrel, especially with a hop-up.

8. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Unless you use the prototype aspherical rounds:).

9. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    Which are useless anyway.

10. Mel

Mel New Member

Marietta
    If only there were airsoft pellets, but it would be a pain to fill hi-cap magazines.

11. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Which is why I refuse to use them.

12. airsoft6274

airsoft6274 New Member

There usless unless is some kind of well sealed gas gun if its not a tightbore its useless
    If its not gas its useless
    If youre using low gram and low quality bbs its useless
    And then still its just puts the price up really high

13. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    I don't even see how pellets could work in a hi-cap magazine concept. Also, I'm fairly certain to make a pellet travel the same distance an Airsoft BB would go you would need alot more force, and considering a sphere is the best way to distribute force, they'd probably end up hurting way more. I guess we're off topic now. Yup. TK twist sucks for 99% of setups although I plan to do a GBBR M4 with no hopup and a TKT at some point in the long future.

14. gunerforWP

gunerforWP New Member

Frederick
    Hate to break it to you, but rifled barrels don't work for airsoft. The bb's are round so the spin on the bb's that a rifled barrel would out on it doesn't help. somethin that an engineer friend of mine told me.

15. Retrospection

Retrospection New Member

Kimballton
    Wrong. Muskets are round yet a rifled barrel barrel almost doubled range and accuracy back in the day.

However I agree that rifled barrels seem odd and wouldn't work in Airsoft.

16. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    Rifled barrels don't work because of hop up.

Hop up > rifling.

This is only true because of the low power levels we are able to achieve with airsoft and because we are limited to spherical ammo.

17. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    Unless you plan on an uber leet GBBR M4 you could fire Cool Cat Chris Costa style (I really want to shoot sideways for some reason :eek:)