RIS S-System or Magpul Handguard???

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by gitaryzt1985, Jan 3, 2013.

1. gitaryzt1985

gitaryzt1985 New Member

Charlotte
    My G&P has an S-System. I got it because it was on sale and looked pretty sweet. But, after playing with the gun a few times, I notice that it is bulky and very front heavy.

Are there any advantages to an S-System? I'm not planning on putting anything on the gun as far as flashlights or grips, so should I just remove the S-System and go for Magpul Handguards?

Also, the S-System doesn't have a Delta Ring or the front piece to put in a handguard...is that a simple fix by just buying the parts?

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    Do you have a link to the gun you bought? I was not aware that G&P made an S-System.

[edit] Ah, I see Evike makes a custom version:

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=37647

The S-System is an oversized, overweight rail system that has no advantages even compared to other rail systems. You'd be better off dumping it and either replacing it with the MOE handguards you're talking about or even a slimer, less absurd rail system. You should just be able to buy a handguard cap for the front end, but I don't know for sure how the rail is attached at the rear. The picture of the gun on Evike makes it appear that it uses the normal delta ring. If yours doesn't have that, you'll likely need a replacement and possibly a barrel nut. You might not find out until you take the thing apart.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

3. gitaryzt1985

gitaryzt1985 New Member

Charlotte
    I've emailed Evike about the missing delta ring, but no response yet. I think I'll go with the magpul so I've just got to figure out what all I need.

4. gitaryzt1985

gitaryzt1985 New Member

Charlotte
    Here is a pic...any advice? I'm new at this lol

image-3701557601.jpg

5. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Well, you're gonna need a new delta ring, barrel nut, springs, the whole nine yards. You probably don't need a new barrel, but it might be cheaper to buy the whole thing as a set. Check out www.wgcshop.com and www.uncompany.com to see what their options are.

6. gitaryzt1985

gitaryzt1985 New Member

Charlotte
    Thanks, Ill research how to install. Evike said that it should have come with a delta ring and I'm trying to get them to send me one.

7. Knief

Ann Arbor
    It's pretty easy if you have a proper AR wrench or a set of channel locks and a willingness to be bold. You just unscrew the barrel nut that's on there fit the delta ring and springs, get them aligned with your gas tube hole in the receiver, tighten down the new barrel nut, and you're set. It's a simple switch.