Sad Day in Airsoft!

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Dead Eye, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

Ocala
    Well SB1315 is now signed into law for LA county area. this is something that could spread like a cancer!

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Can somebody explain clearly and succinctly exactly what SB 1315 does?

3. Munishin

Munishin Well-Known Member

Goodyear
    I figured this would happen.

4. koolaidman

koolaidman New Member

cheney
    Time to break out my paint ball gun again......

5. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Northern VA (no more info, someone might find me...)
    I don't understand why the state waging war on Airsoft seems to be the state with the most Airsoft stores, fields, and players...

6. Deacon

Deacon New Member

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/sen/sb_1301-1350/sb_1315_bill_20120223_introduced.html

7. Munishin

Goodyear
    The messed up part is that Evike just moved.

8. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Now, that part that Deacon quoted says larger than 16mm. So how does that affect anything Evike/ASGI sells?

9. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

If not now, maybe later if they are trying to dismantle the sport of Airsoft.

10. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Not only that, but it reads like it doesn't actually do anything on its own. It only allows local legislatures to enact laws. Laws against imitation firearms that expel a projectile larger than 16mm (paintballs are .68 caliber, which is conveniently 17mm). It sounds to me like this bill is aimed at paintball, not airsoft.

Or am I reading it wrong? Is there a further analysis to this?

11. Munishin

Goodyear
    Ok, now I are confuse. This is what Infidel Airsoft Team had to say: "Ok we were a little confused about the SB 1315 Bill being passed today..

Ourselves and others were under the impression that SB 1315 was to ban airsoft in LA County.. Here is the scoop.

SB1315 doesn't ban airsoft at all. It only lifts the ban on the County and cities within LA to make a stricter law regarding airsoft than already in place at the state level. Now it's up to the cities within LA county (or the county itself) to enact bans/restrictions/etc."

12. egalsim

egalsim Member

Bakersfield
    Here is a running list of politicians to vote against.

Senator DeLeon
    Governor Jerry Brown
    San Francisco Mayor Edwin Lee

These politicians seek to take away your rights. Add to this list and spread it. This list is to show anti airsoft, anti gun politicians that need to be booted out of office. Make your voices heard and vote them out!

13. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

It's not aimed at paintball at all, it's at airsoft. Which is why we didn't get any paintball support on this.

14. Knief

Ann Arbor
    How do you figure?

In English, this says that the bill allows the LA County or cities within LA County to create laws against making, selling, or owning bb guns that shoot a projectile larger than 16mm. Airsoft guns shoot a projectile smaller than 16mm, but paintball guns don't. Clearly there's more text in the bill, but based solely on the text Deacon quoted, this doesn't effect airsoft at all.

15. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

Ocala
    actually here is the version that passed and is going to take effect on 1/1/13
    Note I color coted the actual term used in the bill. it is corrected as the first post while was informative might have had a typo.
    from my understanding it really only adds restrictions of who may buy or sell them. not a complete ban on them in a whole.

16. Hartman96

Hartman96 New Member

Woodville
    There has to be more. Why were the large airsoft stores making sucha big fuss over this? I didn't see any paintball stores say a single thing.

17. levirocks

levirocks #FreeNuggy Lifetime Supporter

arlington
    Probably because of this
    "use of any BB device, toy gun, replica of a firearm,
    or other device that is so substantially similar in coloration and
    overall appearance to an existing firearm as to lead a reasonable
    person to perceive that the device is a firearm
    "

18. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Because Airsoft is less than 16 millimeters, and paintball is more. The highlighted one says it affects less than, so it affects Airsoft, not paintball (at least that's what I got out of it).

19. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

The problem here isn't that it effects paintball or airsoft. The problem is that the passing if this law now opens up a whole new chain of laws that keep tightening the noose around the sport. If its paintball, it'll spread to airsoft. If its airsoft, it'll spread to paintball.

20. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

The problem here is that politicians aren't listening to the mature Airsoft community.