Sanding down guns, need advice

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by BowSloth, Aug 9, 2012.

1. BowSloth

BowSloth New Member

When I go airsofting sometimes i see people's pistols and they've sanded down their slides to give them their chrome look. I've practiced on some old pistol slides and now I'm prepping my WE G18c to sand the slide. I want to know what kind of sandpaper is the best for it, I've been using a 100 to get the paint off then going up from 150,216, then ,250 to get the scratches out and to make it smooth, and I want to know if you guys use any finishes or polishes if so what do you suggest. Thanks, and sorry for the long message

2. Casanova

Casanova New Member

Buffalo
    If you want to strip paint I'd suggest checking out the very top sticky post and using the method outlined there. I've used it before refinishing and weathering my M4 so i can personally vouch that it's easy and far less time consuming than sanding (although it only took about an hour for me to do which is worth the effect)

3. BowSloth

BowSloth New Member

Ok thank you (20 char)

4. BowSloth

BowSloth New Member

Before and after, the after is still raw though,
    I never put a finish on it, wacha think

Attached Files:

5. TysonY2

TysonY2 New Member

Emmett
    Looks pretty good! Really brought out the engravings!

6. BowSloth

BowSloth New Member

Yea I also really like how the slide serrations look too, thanks

7. Airsoftkid01

Airsoftkid01 Member

Hutchinson
    Do you use the paint strip sticky method? Or did you sand it?

8. BowSloth

BowSloth New Member

I sanded it, it took me about 4-5 hrs but I like it better because it bring out the shine more and plus it gave it a nice grained scratch