SAW build

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by BrianVoodoo, Dec 2, 2012.

1. BrianVoodoo

BrianVoodoo New Member

Columbus
    What would be the best way to build a solid SAW GB/motor platform for about 400 FPS. Id be using 25's and I want a consistent and fast rate of Fire but i dont want to destroy gears etc. any ideas to what would hold up ??

2. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Since you don't state any budget limit I suggest Polarstar's new M249 engine.

3. BrianVoodoo

BrianVoodoo New Member

Columbus
    I was thinking of about 50 to 100 bucks and Im not a big fan of Polar Stars but thanks !

4. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

So, now we have a budget, what kind of ROF did you have in mind? Exactly what gearbox version does your SAW have?

5. BrianVoodoo

BrianVoodoo New Member

Columbus
    Im not 100% on the Version of the GB but its an A&K para SAW. I was just going to use it till the A&K gears died but with Christmas coming i wanna ask for some stuff for it. As of ROF what do you know about the average ROF ?

6. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    ROF can easily be adjusted. 16-18 is a good speed. anything faster and you will empty out the box mag too soon. stock gear ratio with a jg blue or red, mosfet + 7.4v 35c 2200mAH will do just fine.

if you want, you can add a switch so you can go from 16-18 to 20-24 rps with a flip of a button. wire a pair of 7.4v in parallel.

7. BrianVoodoo

BrianVoodoo New Member

Columbus
    thanks alex Idk if ill install a switch like that but thats a pretty kool idea that im def gonna look into. Will i need a specific set of gears in order to handle 20 -24 rps or 16-18?? and are those 7.4v batteries lipos or nimh/nicad batteries ?

8. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    you can use stock gears. standard tuneup applies (AOE, re-shim, re-lube, air seal mods). mosfet with LiPo's. i'm currently working on an m249 and m60 at the same time and might wire up a parallel switch (it's one of my son's team member's saw). the other one was dropped off because the kid took it apart and couldn't put back together again.

9. BrianVoodoo

BrianVoodoo New Member

Columbus
    Alright that sounds good I might go ahead and try that. Thank you for the information! and let me know how that switch turns out if it works id like to try it.

10. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

The concept of upgrading an M249 is daunting.

11. BrianVoodoo

BrianVoodoo New Member

Columbus
    Why is it such a daunting task ??

12. Southpawlegend

Southpawlegend New Member

Salisbury
    What do you mean switch and how do you do that?

13. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    So a switch on the paralleled adapter? Lol :)

Trying to wrap my head around the idea lol :)

14. Cerveza

Cerveza New Member

Voltage determines fire rate, so he must mean wiring up a second battery in series?

But then, two 7.4 would result in a 14.8 battery??

The switch idea may not have entirely been thought out?

15. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

It's so huge! It would seem to be difficult to get to the gearbox.

16. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    You unscrew the stock pin (which doesn't even require a tool because it's a knob). Then unscrew like, 2 or 3 allen screws. The entire gearbox slides out of the back.

17. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

Ok. I'm used to my M14. You basically have to disassemble the gun to get to the gearbox.

18. BrianVoodoo

BrianVoodoo New Member

Columbus
    Yea its super easy to get to the GB on my SAW im just not good with internal work yet lol. and i feel your pain with the M14 I had a TM DMR m14 and that thing was a pain to get apart !!