Scar-H or H&K 417D, both VFC OEM'd

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by S1kkguy, Nov 13, 2012.

1. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    Alright guys basically my birthdays coming up next month and my wifes basically given me a £500 budget ($793.40 at time of this post) for a present, which basically means an AEG budget (she's a good woman )

Now I've always been an AK guy and pretty anti-m4 but recently really got into the look of these two particular models, and can't for the life of me decide which one to get. Whichever it is, I plan to get a 455mm prommy barrel and r-hop it right away. I've looked into reviews of both, externally and internally but I'm looking for people's first hand experience with them. Which one would require the least work to get it shooting close to perfect? And what are the parts that would need replacing? I play field predominantly and my field limit is 350-360fps. I'll probably grab a lonex red or a xyclone motor to replace the stock.

Airsoft guns in general in the UK are bloody expensive, so I plan to get it from asia. In the UK, the MK17 is about £385 ($611) and the 417 is £420 ($666...woah) but shipped from asia there is quite a difference. MK17 from redwolf will set me back about £270 ($428) shipped, whereas, the 417 will be £340 ($539) shipped from ehobbyasia.

Input will be well appreciated.

2. schultzebomb

schultzebomb New Member

Monterey
    Get the 417! Its legit

3. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    I personally like the 417 better, visually. Both being VFC, they should perform about the same so really, which ever is cheaper/you like better, go for it

4. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    Yeah look wise I am slightly leaning towards the 417, looks damn fine. However the MK17 is pretty nice too and £70 ($111) cheaper. If the internals are pretty much the same, just a matter of if the 417 is really worth that much more? Argggh...guess it's a positive dilemna though lol

5. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    Gonna say mk17 here, $111 is just too much, plus I think mags for the mk17 can be had for a bit cheaper..
    But its your cash :D

6. Scarred

Scarred New Member

I'm pretty sure that the 417 has a proprietary hop-up unit so an r-hop might not be an option.

7. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    MK17!! I just like its looks personally.

8. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    I keep swinging from the 417 to mk17 and i'm driving my wife crazy XD To the point she said if I mention it again she's getting me a M4 (knowing I don't like it for its' common-ness)

Other than the mags they take, is there any other differences between the MK16 and MK17? I find it quite annoying how they put CQC length barrels in both the SCARs and both the HK41X guns.

9. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    Mk17 and Mk16- I don't know of any other differences, internally that is, but I personally like cqb length barrels :eek: and its because a shorter inner will fit in a longer outer but a longer outer wont fit a shorter inner
    If I were you I'd pick up an Mk17 and be happy

10. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    Longer barrel creates a lot of vaccuum and can impact the BBs in an AEG... so maybe that's why.

I'd go 417 as I like the aesthetics more than the mk17 SCAR. Both should be legit.

11. Valkyrie

Valkyrie New Member

Both are very good, however, I heard that the SCAR has wiring problems related to the stock that will cause frustration with you having to replace the wiring very often. I'd go with the 417 for a few reasons.
    1.It's a 417.....originality, AND it's made by the best gun manufacturer in the world.(IMO)
    2.No wiring problem.
    3.417 is personally more ergonomic(again, IMO) than the scar.
    4.DAT' RAIL.
    My two cents.

12. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    Yep finally made up my mind guys, gonna stick to my gut and go for the 417. My feelings for H&K guns are pretty similar to yours Valkyrie,overall their lineup of weapons from rifles to pistols is just awesome IMO. FINALLY managed to locate an A1 lonex motor too, bloody difficult to get a hold of like anywhere in the world. Gona buy it before hand....now juss gota wait....bang on a month from today....dayum that's long :(

13. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    Like the new avatar, S1kkguy :)

14. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    Cheers mate :cool:..........:D

15. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    Just ordered my VFC HK417 from WGC and I can't friggin wait :D Got 10% off too so the overall price in British Pounds worked out CHEAP :D Merry christmas everyone hope everyone has a good one!

16. Psymon

Psymon New Member

Pasadena
    Just ordered the same gun 40 minutes ago.. Order from Evike with 20% off $391 bucks! Airsplat was running 25% off, but didn't take AMEX.