Secondary or Backup?

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by MasterK, Jul 26, 2012.

1. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    Gearing up for my next purchase. I mostly play a monthly day game that's a "take the castle" type scenario. Lots of field culminating in a CQB end, then we switch sides and do it again. Right now I only have one AEG, a Cyma AK. I'm trying to decide if I should get something like JG G36C and build it up, or KJW GBB pistol.

The G36 would be fun just to swap out and use something different, but the pistol would serve a specific roll that wouldn't necessarily get as much use, but I have come across a few circumstances where it could have been useful or even saved me.

Would you pick another AEG to mix things up, or a GBBP?

2. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    When it comes to the secondary gun or spare/backup weapon here's what I tell players to consider.
    How reliable if your primary? How comfortable are you with it? If it's reliable and your comfortable with it, invest in a secondary, then later on get a back-up weapon.

If you don't see your primary working 6 months down the road, then invest in a back up. If you're not comfortable, find something you think you may like and turn the new gun into your primary.

3. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    Well, right now my primary is a bone stock Cyma CM028 Tactical (ABS Rails) underfolder. It feels adequate, but I don't feel it's ideal. It was an uneducated impulse buy and I see now I could have done better with little more money.

I contemplated. upgrading, but most people said the money would be better spent on a different, higher quality gun. If that's true, at least I'm only out $90 unless I can sell it for like $75 or something. Everyone has such varying opinions. At the very least it's been a learning experience and I feel much more informed as to where the good values are.

4. GunsnBones

GunsnBones New Member

What is your budget?

5. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    About $125 (20 Characters)

6. 703

703 Active Member

To be honest I don't think the JG G36 will be that much of an upgrade. You would be much better off saving up and getting a ICS/G&P/VFC/etc. People might flame me for this but I suggest buying a used gun as well. You can get a lot more for your money. IMO its better to have one high end AEG instead of 2 entry level AEG's

As far as secondary or backup I agree with buster. If your primary is solid and you don't see it breaking get a sidearm. If you are unhappy with your primary then get a new one / backup. From what your saying it seems like you should really go for a new primary.

7. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    You also would not suggest upgrading the Cyma where it's lacking?

8. Kmkraft12

Kmkraft12 New Member

Gainesville
    You made a good choice with the CYMA AK. I would put the 125 into upgrading that rather than buying a new gun. You can get a very accurate and high ROF build with that amount of money. PM me if you want a list.

9. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree, Cyma AK's actually have very decent internals, and are good upgrade platforms. Cyma AK hop-up units are surprisingly good, you could upgrade your AK into a real beast.

10. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    I think that would make me feel better! :D

That said, I still want a second gun. He he.

11. 703

703 Active Member

Depends... Do you like the gun ? If you like the gun then upgrading it might be a better choice than buying a new gun. CYMA have some of the best AK's and with a little work you should be able to turn it into the gun you want it to be.

12. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    I do like it. My only issue with it visually is that the battery cover and folding stock are painted gray, where the rest of the gun is black. Not sure why.

The battery is something else. The 8.4v stock size battery is about all that will fit in there. Unless I could get it function well and not be abused on 7.4 lipo. Without a PEQ box, nothing more is going in there as far as I can see.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  13. Jelly

Jelly New Member

San Jose
    >Peq Box
    >On AK
    >Needs rail for PEQ Box
    >NO

As others said, if you don't trust your current weapon to be reliable, get a new one, or upgrade it. The JG G36c has a even tighter battery space.

14. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    Thanks, but it does have a rail.