Seeking advice on new AEG purchase

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by SonicDeathMonkey, Aug 29, 2012.

1. SonicDeathMonkey

SonicDeathMonkey New Member

Woodbury Heights
    Greetings,
    I'm new to the forum and generally new to airsoft. I'm looking to get my own m4 AEG (entry level) to do a couple of field events with my son and potentially get into the sport/hobby as a regular activity.

My general requirements:
    m4/m16/m416
    good fps (350 fps w/ .20)
    good effective range (~150ft)
    good quality internals
    full metal body (highly desired, but not required)
    Under $180

RIS is not manditory, so I'm not entirely willing to pay more for it. I was in the Army for 6 years. During that time I had an M16A2, later an M4A2. Neither of which had a rail system and I shot expert on them just fine. I'm kinda looking for some nostalgic value on the AEG I get, but getting into that "Call of Duty" tricked-out gun phase might also be rewarding.

My shortlist of candidates:
    Dboys full metal m4 (I have questions about the internals)
    Lancer Tactical M4 S-System (plastic, but seems to perform well, low cost option)
    Airsoft Megastore Armory M4 AMR-4 MK1 (very good internals, polymer body)

I'm sure there are other good AEGs out there that could meet my needs, but these seem to interest me the most. I have some thoughts (concerns, things I really like) on each gun that I hope you guys could either validate or debunk for me.

Dboys - I like the metal body. FPS seems to be good. I'm unfamiliar with the experience of dealing with PEQ box battery situations. Are Dboys internals troublesome?
    Lancer Tactical - Plastic body, budget gun. Seems like a cheap way to get into the game. Are these AEGs "too good to be true" with their construction and/or internals?
    AMA - Their internals seem to be pretty high quality. This particular one is polymer body. Is replacing with a metal body difficult (I've seen Dboys metal receiver bodies for about $45)?

What am I overlooking? I don't want to spend money on a gun that I'll come to dislike simply because I was unaware of a critical detail that I failed to look for.

Thank you, in advance, for any and all advice.

SDM

2. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    The nitty gritty is most "mass" produced replicas internals are very subpar. Including high end brands. Do they work? Yup they aren't great though.

Out of those Id probably pick up the dboys very easy to build off of. The body is pot metal, and pretty poor pot metal so don't expect much.

The good thing is? They are very easy to build off of. The parts in the dboys are sort of thrown together, but are very sturdy with some elbow grease. Pick up the Dboys read some guides, and do some work on it. You can really make almost anything out of it with the correct amount of time/cash.

I have no direct hands on with the lancer or the ASMS replica. Usually store made replicas have subpar lego builds. Unless the mosfet is high end you should just look past that. Its funny how people can add something very minor and then label it as high end.

Thats my thoughts in the matter. Wait for some other people to throw out their opinions before you decide though please.

3. SonicDeathMonkey

Woodbury Heights
    Thanks for the advice. I did some reading (on this site)... scratch Lancer. I'll take a closer look at Dboys, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. Thanks again.

4. EAGLE_17

EAGLE_17 New Member

Minneapolis
    You could get a KWA for that money off ASGI

5. SonicDeathMonkey

Woodbury Heights
    I was actually just looking at a KWA on ASGI:
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=10377

There seems to be a lot of love for KWA here, so that's very validating. I want to see what the Labor Day sales are like at all the online vendors, but this one looks like a safe bet. Thanks again.

EDIT: the only problem with the KWA is no battery or charger. That sorta busts my budget, but it's still on the table.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  6. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    Some other brands to look into are

JG
    ICS (Split Gearbox design makes upgrading super easy)

Take a look on Evike (doesn't mean you have to buy here) and look at some of the guns. If there are any you like give us the link and im sure we could give you more info.

Also if you don't mind buying used you can get more for your money. For 20.00 more at 200.00 you can pick up a used G&P / KWA / other higher end gun. And from what it looks like brand new in some cases.

One last thing - THANK YOU for actually taking the time to do research. To many times do we see threads with very limited information. It's nice to see someone actually cares and is willing to put the effort in.

7. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Not really a lot of love for KWA hear. Mainly for G&P and VFC, which are higher end brands. At your budget, look at JG. Good entry level guns, and the gearboxes are built like tanks.

8. SonicDeathMonkey

Woodbury Heights
    Thanks for mentioning JG. For some reason, I have a negative opinion of JG. They've done nothing to deserve it from me. Maybe I put too much stock in full metal bodies.

On that note, can anyone describe the significance between polymer and ABS plastic? Is either one stronger than the other?

9. EAGLE_17

EAGLE_17 New Member

Minneapolis
    I know I've been looking for a new gun to and I found the KWA G36c on ASGI and I was disappointed in that to but hay if you want quality

10. EAGLE_17

EAGLE_17 New Member

Minneapolis
    I know I found a KWA in my price range to the KWA G36c and I was disappointed on that to but these guns will last twice as long trust me.

11. SonicDeathMonkey

Woodbury Heights
    Thanks again for the great advice. I took a look at some pretty looking JG M4 AEGs that I'd like for you guys to share your opinions:

JG M4 Tactical-System V.II (Black)

JG M4A1 Enhanced

JG Airsoft M4 S-System

Keep in mind I really don't have any depth of knowledge on JG or AEGs in general. Aside from aesthetics, are there any significant technical differences between these AEGs that's worth paying for?

Thanks again!

SDM

12. EAGLE_17

EAGLE_17 New Member

Minneapolis
    These guns are great for entry level but keep in mind they wont last long

13. SonicDeathMonkey

Woodbury Heights
    Thanks. What tends to break down on them?

14. EAGLE_17

EAGLE_17 New Member

Minneapolis
    Well the nice brands work on the internals but the gun wont look as cool but these type of brands won't have as good internals so they spend more time on the looks. I owned one and the whole gear box broke in a week

15. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

That was a lemon. Don't listen to that. Jg guns are tanks, they have very strong internals. It will last 1 and a half years at least if you treat it well.

16. EAGLE_17

EAGLE_17 New Member

Minneapolis
    I u have the $ why not get a KWA

17. SonicDeathMonkey

Woodbury Heights
    The more I spend on the AEG, the less I have for the rest of my gear. $180 is like the absolute max I could really spend. $150 range guns give me $30 to spend on a smart charger or other stuff I'll need to get going.

18. TheAirsoftTech

TheAirsoftTech New Member

KWA < everything else.
    That is why.

19. EAGLE_17

EAGLE_17 New Member

Minneapolis
    Well I guess thats understandable

20. EAGLE_17

EAGLE_17 New Member

Minneapolis
    I'm just saying why not pay a little bit more for something better