Shimming my gearbox. Having problems with the bevel gear. Help please!

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by ryere, Feb 10, 2016.

1. ryere

ryere New Member

I am in the midst of shimming my new shs gears into my gearbox, and i have encountered a bit of a problem. So i am currently just shimming the bevel gear and without screwing in the gearbox screws, there is a tiny bit of play. When i place the screws in, but don't tighten them, there is slightly less play. Then when i tighten all the screws there is pretty much the least amount of play possible. The gear does spin freely, but not for an entire rotation. It will get stopped in its tracks due to friction. I have stopped it in the spot that the friction occurs, and there is no play with the gear. When i push the gear past the friction, there is once again very little play. Has anybody got some insight at what is going on here?

2. Dannyboyextreme

Dannyboyextreme Active Member

Burbank
    That happens now and again with me. Usually can be more or less fixed if you glue the bushing to the gearbox as flat as possible. Only do that if you are confident you won't mess it up. I usually have slight up and down/ seeable space between the gears and the shell. It's better to be loose than tight

3. Tortoise

Tortoise Active Member

AZ
    You can try popping out the bushings and re-installing them, you might have one sitting slightly uneven, so that could possibly fix the issue at hand.