Shimming

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by CQB, Jul 31, 2012.

1. CQB

CQB New Member

I have never shimmed before but, is it needed? Can I just grease it and not worry about shimming? I am fine opening a gearbox for minor things but I think shimming would be too hard.

2. hubertos1

hubertos1 Member

Shimming is really simple. It also helps alot. You might as well look it up and do it.

3. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Pierce County
    If you don't care about your guns longevity or performance, then I suppose you can ignore the shimming.

Improperly shimmed guns wear faster, require more energy to function, sound like crap, and risk binding and lock up due to latteral movement of the gears.

It's only hard until you actually do it.

4. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It's highly recommended that you shim the gears, your gearbox will run alot smoother, more efficient efficient and be alot more reliable. It's not that complicated really, it just requires patience and an eye for details.

5. CQB

CQB New Member

Ok, I guess I'll just shim my gearbox. Thanks everyone.

6. Griffin

Griffin Active Member Supporting Member

Check out some of the stickies here for your first time opening & tuning a gear box.

7. CQB

CQB New Member

How long do you think a first time shimmer will take to shim a gearbox? Also, will silicon work for greasing the gears or do I need a better lubricant.

8. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    I use Tamiya anti-wear grease.

9. StrayBullet

StrayBullet GAIN TIME Supporting Member

Goodfellow AFB
    White Lithium Grease is your best bet for greasing gears. I have a bottle of this "LubriMatic Green" White Lithium Grease. It's in an 8 0z white tube.

10. GreenListerine

GreenListerine New Member

Probably no longer then an hour; unless your shimming a DSG.. That took me around 6 hours to get it perfect

11. Adman234

Adman234 Active Member

Wildwood
    I say shimming first few times should take an hour.

Once you have done it a few times, maybe 10-20 minutes.

For DSG/DMR? back to an hour to get it flawless.

12. schueller

schueller New Member

Dodgeville
    my first try was an hour, it wasnt too great. try #2 was much better and another hour.

13. CajunAirsoft

CajunAirsoft New Member

My first try didn't take more than 45 mins ,but when putting it back together shims went everywhere.