Shotgun Tactics-styles, strategies etc.

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by havocm4, Aug 13, 2012.

1. havocm4

havocm4 Active Member

To all who love to use shotguns! What is your favorite brand, gun, tactics, and styles of shot gun play? any neat tricks or tips? reviews?

2. stat226

stat226 New Member

Limerick
    I use a crosman tri shot, got it for s**ts and giggles. Best tactic I use is in cqb I just move as fast and efficient as possible to the other side then take out the other team from behind.

3. Sharp

Sharp Member

Waukesha
    The trishot is probably the best IMO, the CAW/E1 is nice but I like 3rd burst. Best tactic is to move fast and get close, know your limits.

4. havocm4

havocm4 Active Member

Nice tactics guys. Keep em coming! Stock preference? Or none?

5. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    Be fast. I prefer the full stock. The retracting seems too flimsy. And no stock makes it difficult to pump the first 50 or so times until you wear down the spring. I like my UTG, I got the extended version for the looks. :cool:

6. havocm4

havocm4 Active Member

single or multishot? i prefer multi because of the more effectiveness and chance of hitting a target. in a medium range.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. Hartman96

Hartman96 Active Member

Woodville
    I have the no stock DE trishot. Got it as an in game back up, going to fix it on my back somehow and be able to pull it (aeg went out mid rush last game (bat dead) dont want to be without a gun (had pistol) but just wasnt the same with one mag) and use it when I need to.

8. havocm4

havocm4 Active Member

nice. in thinking about getting a scabbard to house a shotgun over my back. anyone find that useful, or just cool?

9. pmang6

pmang6 New Member

I've got a utg full length with a retracting stock and grips that wobbles a good inch from side to side apparently I got a lemon which really peeves me but it functions great

10. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Tri-shots are my preference. Simply put it multiplies the chance of you hitting the target.
    Full stocks because as you pump, you can keep the gun on target. Also full stocks are a stronger build than retractable stocks.
    Multi-shot shells are also nice as opposed to single shot shells that are ejected. They're cool but nothing is worse than picking up shells after each shot.

Double-barrels gas shotguns are nice for ambush. The shells only get 1 shot, but it's 14 BBs (7 per shell) flying at your target with a nice loud bang. Only issue is if you miss, you're virtually screwed.

Shotgun lovers on a budget should check out the Wal-Mart shotguns. They're cheap, clear, and have magazines, BUT are often quite persistent. If your first shot curved to the right, the next shot will also. The pop does get annoying though

Tactics: pop and shoot. Pop out, take 1-2 shots, then back into hiding.

11. 6MMpowered

6MMpowered New Member

Meh, for 55$ you can get a bravo 3 burst shotgun

12. chitoryu12

chitoryu12 Active Member

Orlando
    I run a tri-shot shotgun and a CO2 USP as my two primary guns (the USP isn't really a true secondary, as I pull it out for longer shots when it's loaded with 0.25s as usual or when the shotgun is too large for where I'm shooting from), and I've learned pretty quickly how to use them.

First off, don't run a field game with a shotgun. It may seem tempting to leave the CQB arena with your cheap gun, but just don't. My shotgun can effectively hit a target at about 200 feet, but the velocity is so low that if your opponent is moving or is paying enough attention to see you firing at him, you'll likely miss. I've had people at that range actually duck out of the way of the incoming shot. It also lacks the power to cut through foliage, so you can only hit targets that are either exposed entirely or very close range.

In CQB, you've got a lot of disadvantages compared to the guys with rifles and SMGs. Their guns are likely smaller and possibly lighter (especially if you've got a full stock shotgun like mine), so they can maneuver more easily. They can fire full or semi-auto, likely have better range and velocity, and have improved single shot accuracy and a much higher magazine capacity. They can probably reload faster as well.

The advantage of the tri-shot shotgun is point shooting. It's an easy gun to use with a mask because you can easily learn how to take snap shots without aiming. I personally got several kills with it today without ever using the sights, simply because I had practiced enough that I could quickly lean around cover, fire a shot (sometimes without the gun even properly shouldered), and duck back in. And I can make a hit at 60 feet like that. The reason shotguns are so good at that is because it fires a spread of BBs that remains smaller than the average torso at 60 feet. You simply have a much better chance of making a kill because unless the target is exposing very little of himself, you no longer have to rely on a single 6mm projectile flying on the right path.

If you know your limitations, you can become a pro with the gun. Figure out what range you can effectively shoot at (if you don't wear a mask, though you should if you're using it for CQB like I told you to, you can still aim down the sights with proper accuracy for longer shots), then rely on flanking and speed to close the distance. Practice your reloads and carry your shotshells in a way that makes it easy to pull them out (and probably carry a dump pouch of some kind, even a small one, instead of trying to shove an empty shell back into its slot) so you don't get stuck fumbling.

If you get the drop on a guy and have time to aim, though, you can get to pretty long range. I have to lob it, but my DE M56A can and will make it to 200 feet and I've practiced enough to know about how high to raise the barrel, so if I get a chance I can carefully aim and fire and get a nice spray landing on his head.

I do occasionally feel bad for all the people who get a full three shot burst to the chest at close range. Like that one ref....

13. TacticalChef

TacticalChef New Member

San Francisco
    I use an acm m 500 shortie, and love it. Because it's gas, cocking it is much faster and easier than spring. The range.is.also way longer than spring trishot. It shoots 5 at a time and holds enough gas and bbs for 30 shots without reloading. The spread is great, ive actually got hits on multipule people from a single shot before. It also makes point shooting easy, as well as cover fire because each blast usually fills a window or hallway pretty well. I try to be aware of the fact that my gun is best suited for close engagements and try and stay mobile and get the drop on people. Generally if i can get the first shot, i win at under 150 feet, beyond that or if i get surprised i will break contact and try to flank. Combined with my usp and thunder b it makes a great breaching kit, and is very challenging mentally and rewarding style of play.

14. havocm4

havocm4 Active Member

Do you find shotguns a preferred choice for close quarters? Have you ever gotten extremely frustrated trying to keep up with AEG's?

15. breagle23

breagle23 New Member

I hate AEG's, Period.

I am trying to become a sniper, But a shotgunner may be another option...?

16. ShotgunGuru

ShotgunGuru New Member

Stanford/San Diego
    The shotgun master race awaits, as I seem to be the only member.

17. breagle23

breagle23 New Member

What do you have to do to be a member of the shotgun master race?

18. ShotgunGuru

ShotgunGuru New Member

Stanford/San Diego
    You have to fill out an application, convert to shotgunism, and hand over your non-shotguns for Crucifixion.

In all seriousness, it's a joke. Just use a shotgun and have fun. :D

19. breagle23

breagle23 New Member

Ha, You scared me!
    I have no problem with getting rid of all my Non-shotguns, If i can get some money out of it!
    :D

But seriously, Ill do my best with a shotgun :)

I seriously feel like its the role for me.

20. TacticalChef

TacticalChef New Member

San Francisco
    Everyone seems to think aegs are some kind of cRazy superweapon. They are only as good as thr user and in most cases people are easy to deal with. Thats why shotguns are still used by le and,milotary, they are useful, even against rifles.