Featured Should I get a Dye i4?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by likeaboz2002, Feb 11, 2018.

1. likeaboz2002

likeaboz2002 Member

Colorado Springs
    I have been getting into speedsoft hard recently. I currently run a pistol only loadout, and my head setup is a beanie with some ESS Profile goggles and a OneTigris mesh mask. I only play indoor CQB and am wondering if I should get a used Dye i4 off of Ebay. I really like the idea of having a full face mask and not having to bother with separate upper and lower setups. Also, the Dye just seems a lot more comfortable than any two-piece setups, and the aesthetic is a nice bonus. So, Dye owners, how is the mask? Does it fog? Cause my current setup has never fogged once, and I'd like to keep it that way. Also is it comfortable for a smaller head? And how hard is it to aim down sights if I were to use a rifle?

GGDI4-1188.jpg

2. PandaPlastic

PandaPlastic New Member

Bellevue
    The masks fog like crazy. If you are playing indoor or sweat a lot you aren't gonna like it. They are really soft and comfortable tho

Topshotz357 likes this.

3. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Well-Known Member

Mountain Home
    They don't fog, at least mine hasn't, as it has a thermal lense. They're very comfortable, and offer good protection. You'll need a riser for whatever optic you use. There are a lot of color options, so you can get what you like or goes well with your loadout. I like it a lot more than my previous goggles+mesh lower face pro. If you're buying one used, try to get it cheap. I once tried to bid on one that started cheap, but it went up to $90 so I thought it'd be better just to buy one new.

joehyunpark likes this.
  4. joehyunpark

joehyunpark Member

Englewood
    OMG YES I bought one for my birthday for 120 and it was so worth it. The lenses never fog, idk y the guy said it does, but they dont and i wear it for cqb and milsim. they look cool, they feel good, they fit glasses and are so worth it. get a dye i5 if u can too.

Travis F. likes this.
  5. Topshotz357

Topshotz357 Active Member

Drexelhill
    Mine fogged up to outside in a snow game at paintball had to call out cuz I couldn't distinguish friend from foe

6. RockNRoll33

RockNRoll33 Active Member Supporting Member

Buford
    I play outdoor and indoor hot and cold and it has never fogged. Definitely worth the price, crazy comfortable and lightweight.

7. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    Lucky I wish mine didn't fog

8. RockNRoll33

Buford
    Maybe trying different lenses...I'm using the gold lense so my perception of fogginess maybe be way off as it is already darker; but to me it looks crystal clear.

9. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    Good idea yeh I'm using a clear lense

10. RockNRoll33

Buford
    A guy wanted a clear lense so I traded him for the gold so I’ve never used the clear so I’m somewhat biased.

11. ma_airsoft

ma_airsoft Well-Known Member Supporting Member

South east
    I haven’t run into fogging issues. Some people breathe heavier naturally so everyone’s got different experiences.

12. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    Yeh when the adrenaline starts pumping I heavy breath

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  13. likeaboz2002

likeaboz2002 Member

Colorado Springs
    yeah, they've been poppin up on Ebay for ~$60 with shipping. Not the best colors, but I assume I can spraypaint it pretty easily if I want to

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  14. plasticnoob

plasticnoob Active Member Supporting Member

hidden city
    That blue is really nice, I avoided it because I heard fitment issues with a helmet. I wear a helmet always after being shot in the head several times, HURTS...... I really like my ESS w/ prescription inserts and my home made fan that keeps my fog away. I wasn't going to pay $70 + more for a fan so I built my own..

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  15. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Well-Known Member

Mountain Home
    I haven't checked in a while, but it was interesting to watch the used prices. They were super cheap for a time(like starting at $20), then they went up when they were discontinued, and were cheap again. Then they were too high so it was better to get one new.

16. RockNRoll33

Buford
    If you have the money get a new one, I don’t want to smell the last guy that was in it.

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  17. OFM Wheeza

OFM Wheeza Active Member

redway
    Had 2 I4 and using I5 now. Have only used for paintball so take it FWIW.

It may not fit well with a helmet. I just wear a beanie with it and it works great.
    It absolutely won't fog up on you.

You will need a riser for optics.

No matter how you prep it, spraypaint will wear off where your cheekweld is.
    And the strap won't hold paint on the rubberized graphics.
    I got a horrible purple and grey crackle for $60 new and painted it.

The plus side is the goggles remove from the mask in a few seconds so you can blast a touch up or new camo easily.

The only possible downside is they are not made for large faced people.
    If you're chunky or just a really large human, there is a lot of exposed jawline.
    They also run close to your face which some people feel restricts breathing.
    I play up front and when I get to breathing heavy it's a little noisy but I breathe just fine.

There's a lot more options than Dye brand masks. Any paintball mask from the big pb manufacturers with a THERMAL lens won't fog up.
    A lot of paintballers prefer v-force profiler or sly profits due to having a more extended nose and mouth area for better air flow/ less breathing noise.
    There's JT,Valken,Proto, HK army, Sly, V-force,Dye and a lot of other `cheaper offerings that would work great as long as you spend the extra $10-20 on the thermal lens version for anti fog benefits.
    https://www.ansgear.com/V_Force_Profiler_Paintball_Mask_SE_Digicam_p/vforceprofiler-sedigicam.htm

18. OFM Wheeza

OFM Wheeza Active Member

redway
    Did you get it new with a thermal lens?
    I haven't had fogging problems since I found thermal lenses in 1998.