Should I Give Up On My Well L96?

Discussion in 'Sniper Rifles' started by CptCuhlo, Dec 7, 2015.

1. CptCuhlo

CptCuhlo New Member

Austin
    Hi there, first post. I've been getting back into airsofting for the first time in awhile and have been really enjoying it. I've used the Well L96 for years and love it, but after time the spring faded and the gun needed some love.

I upgraded some internals: precision barrel, spring, piston and a spring guide which turns out not fitting (it was the UTG kit and Madbull barrel). I spent a day at the field on it using .3s and on the last game of the day the sear broke. It was its time being the cheap metal it was, but upon disassembling the gun other pieces began to crumple. The screw hole in the stock behind the trigger broke leaving the top less secure, the mag catch broke, as well as the little brace around the hopup bucking which contains the adjustment screw.

A simple trigger box became something much bigger. The mag catch is an easy fix, but the hole in the stock and hopup brace are something I think I'd have to buy a whole new gun to fix. My question for all of you is what would be the most economical solution for me, getting another APS2 L96 or refuting my parts and going the Bar10 route? Thanks in advance

2. snapshot311

snapshot311 New Member

Woodbury
    If the hopup arm didn't break I'd say fix it but that is one piece that I don't know if you'll find again. In what way did it break?

3. 1iv

1iv New Member

Melissa
    Go find a boneyard 96 and steal parts off it. Evike mega store and G.I. Tac all have boneyard 96s that flow through

4. CptCuhlo

CptCuhlo New Member

Austin
    The hopup unit itself is fine, the only thing that's damaged is a ring made of cast metal that holds the adjustment screw.

Solid advice, at that point I think all I'd need would be an upgraded trigger box so the sears won't fall apart again and maybe another hopup that's not made of cast metal.

I guess the real point I'm trying to make with this thread is would it be worth it? I bought this gun several years ago as my first REAL airsoft gun and it took great care of me before I jacked up all that cheap cast metal with the powerful spring, but I want something that I can shoot 100,000 rounds out of and never have a problem and I'm questioning if the Well can handle that.

5. BearGames

BearGames Member

San Jose
    The gun definitely can hold up, when put through upgrades. Action Army creates high quality parts for the L96 that are worthwhile. I've never used the AA hop up chamber for the L96, but the one for the Bar 10 is great, this also goes for the Z-trigger.

6. snapshot311

snapshot311 New Member

Woodbury
    The PPS hopup is very cool. Uses AEG barrels. Very nice fit. But you need to keep the ring from the original hopup, which yours is broken.

7. CptCuhlo

CptCuhlo New Member

Austin
    What about a newer model rifle that can take APS2 parts, something with a hop up adjustment by the barrel maybe? I was looking at the AGM and I'm pretty sure it's the same barrel length as the Well and the spring should fit.

8. BearGames

BearGames Member

San Jose
    I am not 100% certain, but I believe AGM guns aren't that compatible with most parts.

9. CptCuhlo

CptCuhlo New Member

Austin
    I did a little more research on it and according to one guy on Airsoft Retreat,"It takes VSR-10 trigger parts, APS2 Type 96 cylinder upgrades, and MP001 tightbores" so I may be in luck. I think the only thing unique about it would be the hop-up.

Also he says that the length between hopup and the end of the outer barrel is the exact same as the APS2 so there is a shot I could still use my barrel. If that's the case I can recycle every upgrade part I have on the Well, seems almost too good to be true though. Here's the post for reference http://www.airsoftretreat.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=228

10. BearGames

BearGames Member

San Jose
    Why don't you just upgrade your current well? You can get an upgraded trigger unit and hop up

11. CptCuhlo

CptCuhlo New Member

Austin
    I would, but I don't know if I can replace the hop-up without needing that little ring that broke with the stock one, also there's a screwhole that fell apart right behind the trigger so the upper receiver is holding onto the stock by one screw. Apart from that the magazine catch broke but that's replaceable.

I'd love to keep the one I have I just thought it might save me time and maybe money to buy a whole new rifle and start over.

Edit: I can take the barrel apart and show the ring I'm talking about if y'all don't know what I'm referring to. It holds the adjustment screw into place.

12. snapshot311

snapshot311 New Member

Woodbury
    I have a Well. I know the pieces you are referring to. You would have to buy a boneyard or get lucky on the forums with someone selling parts for one. I would sell you mine but I just finished it haha

13. CptCuhlo

CptCuhlo New Member

Austin
    Good news! I have a friend with a Well L96 that has the same trigger sear issue (but a good stock, hopup, and mag catch) and he's willing to let it go! The dream stays alive!

Now that that's over with I can start thinking about a new trigger system. I'm most drawn to the Angel Custom Alpha because it looks like a straight drop in apart from adding the safety switch and down the road dropping in a PDI hopup. Any suggestions for the two? I'm looking for whatever trigger has the most solid sears I don't care too much about having zero pull.

14. BearGames

BearGames Member

San Jose
    Never go with angel custom, I have never hear anything good about them. Go with brands like action army, pdi, laylax, etc. The AA hop up for the l96 I believe is a good buy.

15. CptCuhlo

CptCuhlo New Member

Austin
    So uuuuhh, since I was getting a new trigger box anyways I went ahead and decided to take the old one apart. Looks like my sears are totally fine and the little pen that comes up through it isn't bent or anything. Any ideas? Something I'm not seeing?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]