Sideways mounted magazine pouches

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Shadow_Nugz, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    I have been wondering about various placements of pouches, holsters etc on a plate carrier and a thought came to me. Sideways pouches?

I was thinking you could mount either a Fast-Mag or a shingle(of sorts with retention straps) on the middle of your plate carrier, just sideways? I know there is the issue with MOLLE and what not but do you think it is feasible?

2. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    90 degree adapter

You could use this! Another idea I had was the generous use of zip-ties. Anyone?

3. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    There's a reason you don't see any professionals doing it. Mags work best for most people in most situations, mounted vertically on the weak side. \o/

4. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
    Using the Molle pouches that go on stocks allows to you to place them sideways. You won't be able to weave them though.

5. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    I was thinking of jury rigging something with either some zip ties and/or paracord to see how I like it, and if it were to be something I'd want to run with I'd get a 90 degree adapter of some sort.

Anyone have a rig, a few pouches and some zip ties that would be willing to see how stupid my idea is?

6. TheCaptainAlmighty

Gallifrey
    Its honestly not smart at all. Its awkward, and doesn't save time, or do anything substantially good at all. All you'll achieve is wasting time and money.

7. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    My thinking is that instead of pulling a magazine up, flipping it right side up and then aligning it with your gun, you'd pull the magazine out of your sideways pouch(imagining a Fast Mag) and going right for your gun...

The way I am thinking of it would be the usefulness of having a crossdraw vs a upwards draw

8. TheCaptainAlmighty

Gallifrey
    Well, a magazine is vertical in a gun, not sideways, so just place it up or down.

9. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    Put it like this:
    Say it takes 1 element of energy to move a magazine from an upright position(upside down in a Fast Mag) out of the pouch and 1 into the gun

It takes 1 to take the magazine out of a conventional magazine pouch(right side up), 1 to flip it right side up and 1 to put it into the gun

If we had the Fast Mag sideways and tilted the gun(not too much, just like a fast magazine release) then it would take 1 energy to pull the magazine out, and since it would be oriented already, 1 energy to put it in the gun...

What I am trying to say is that it would take less energy, be less awkward and save time.

10. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    I've seen people have sideways mounted mag pouches on their sides. Not on the front of the MOLLE but on your side. It's somewhat better (in my mind) that way, it's more natural. But in the front I would still go with right side up.

One thing you may be interested in, VooDoo makes this cross webbing vest that allows you to place pouches at 45 degree angles, side ways, and right side up or up side down. They're not amazing quality but they're similar to what you're asking, just integrated into the vest instead of he pouches.

11. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    I think I have seen those. Once I get my PC I am going to work at jury-rigging mag pouches(normal and Fast Mag) to my side and front, at 45, 90 and 180 degree.... why not 315 while we are at it!

12. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    Nope. Nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope.

Practice. A bunch. There's no reason you can't get your mag changes down to 2 seconds or less. You should probably look around for reloading demonstrations from trainers like Magpul, Viking Tactics, etc. They've already taken into account economy of motion while keeping situational awareness. The wheel doesn't need to be reinvented, just perfected.

13. Caveman25

Caveman25 New Member

If you think horizontal mags are completely impractical youre definitely mistaken, they do have situations where theyd be very helpful. A horizontal mag pouch is great for placing on your back to help you get to a mag easier when youre crouched down low. Using a stock pouch on your belt (horizonaly, with the straps or with zipties/alice clips) saves space on your vest, without having the pouch bounce against you leg or have to buy a full molle web belt.
    If its comfortable to him (as it is myself(on back) and my friend(on belt)) then it works fine. As long as hes using what is most comfortable to his play style.

14. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    Depending on the location it would just be an awkward movement to grab a mag that is sideways unless it was a crossdraw. In all honesty it wont save you any time. It shouldn't take you a long time to reload a magazine if you practice. Not to mention in airsoft I have very rarely had to quickly change a mag. Usually you know when you are out and can get behind cover.

15. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    I would mount the mag on my chest/stomach on the right side, with the bottom towards the left and the front downwards.