Featured Silent piston heads vs. sorbo pads

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Jackson Watts, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Jackson Watts

Jackson Watts New Member

Madisonville
    So this guy is trying to sell me his silent piston/cylinder heads and when I tried to ask him if I would help any more than a Sorbo bad he just avoided the question which I get but I was just wondering if it's worth spending an extra $15 on

2. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Active Member

Mountain Home
    Nope. Sorbo works very well, as well as volume matching. "Silent" piston heads & cylinder heads don't do much to silence a gun.

Zaryk likes this.

3. Zaryk

Zaryk Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Southern
    Help more doing what? Dampening the force of the piston slamming into the cylinder head? Quieting the sound of the piston? Fixing AOE? You really need to be a bit more specific.

I am going to assume you are talking about quieting the gearbox, and if so the best way to do that is to get everything in the gearbox set up just right. Shimming, AOE, air seal, ect. Air seal is very important for a quiet build. The sound will mostly be coming out the barrel as a kind of pop sound with a good air seal. Shimming accounts for a lot of the gearbox sound also, so spending a good amount of time to get the shimming right is a must if you want a quiet gun. After that it should be substantially quieter. I personally find silent piston heads more of a finishing touch thing. I only installed silent piston heads in customers gearboxes because I never really could tell enough of a difference to justify spending money on them.

Also, a sorbo pad is more for adjusting AOE and reducing the force the gearbox takes rather than quieting the piston. That is more of a side effect of installing a sorbo pad and it changes the pop sound more to a thump sound (silent piston heads do the same thing) and they dont really make it very much quieter, they mostly change the pitch to a deeper sound that is a bit harder to hear at a distance.

I wanted to add that one build I seen that was super quiet was achieved by lining the inside of the receivers with a thin self adhesive foam. It made it a little hard to take the gun apart, but the gun was super quiet and that technique is quite effective.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  4. Jackson Watts

Jackson Watts New Member

Madisonville
    Yeah I've heard of the foaming before but I don't think I have enough room between my gearbox and my external gun

5. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Active Member

Mountain Home
    What was the gun? Because some don't have much space inside.

6. Zaryk

Southern
    There really isnt much room, but it works. Use a thin foam sheet that will compress down really well. If you plan to do it make sure not to cover the area where the selector plate and switch is located.

7. Jackson Watts

Jackson Watts New Member

Madisonville
  8. Zaryk

Southern
    The gun I seen was a frankenM4. It had a JG metal body and gearbox, the rest was random parts.

9. Jackson Watts

Jackson Watts New Member

Madisonville
    Alright I'll see if I can find some of the foam

10. Dwosky

Dwosky New Member

From my experience over silent piston heads, I've found that they're not as "silent" as their name. Also I've seen one losing their rubber part from the front (it glued off), but I don't know if it was due to any fault of the item or the use.

Also most of them are shaped like a cone and I think that shape can cause problems, since it has to be aligned correctly in order to impact evenly. A flat piston head for example doesn't have that issue.

Zaryk likes this.
  11. Airborne101

Airborne101 Well-Known Member

Chicago
    You aren't really comparing apples to apples. The primary effect of Sorbo is AOE correction, and shock absorption. The silent piston head does neither. The primary effect of a silent piston head is to quiet the gun, which they don't really do.