Silicone Lubricant Question

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Scout_Master, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Scout_Master

Scout_Master New Member

Gastonia
    When using a silicone lubricant, should you stay away from the silicone lubricants that are sold in adult stores? I have had little luck locating this kind of lubricant at a brick and mortar retail location. Any insight would be appreciated, but first hand experience is idea.

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    It shouldn't matter as far as damaging your gun. The biggest thing you're worried about with petroleum based lubricants is that they damage your o-rings and such. Silicone based adult lubricants should be latex safe, which means you're good to go as far as that aspect. The problem, however, is that you don't want a lubricant that heavy on your gun. The silicone that you want to use is very fluid, even lighter than say, cooking oil. Adult lubricant is much thicker than that, and would do more to gunk up your guns than anything else. Generally, R/C shock oil is your best bet. You can pick it up locally at any decent hobby shop for less than $5 or order it online. Anything between 10 and 25 weight will be fine, but the lighter the better.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSA5212

3. Scout_Master

Scout_Master New Member

Gastonia
    Ok, thanks for the help. There is a hobby shop that sells RCs/RC parts about 90 minutes from me.

4. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Adult lube in an AEG, now that's a new one. :D

5. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    Now that is something that is not in my toolbox...

6. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Lol. Well it's the same thing as telling someone you use "Super Lube" ;) haha

7. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    I guess it would be great for the piston head going through the cylinder if you know what I mean...