Silicone or Alcohol for cleaning?

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by bludyknux, Aug 8, 2012.

1. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

I've searched, and I still see mixed debates on what to use for cleaning a barrels. Is ICS Silicone Oil fine for the cleaning patches for you inner barrels, or rubbing alcohol? Also, where can I find a kit of some sort to clean my gun, I don't have a rod or patches.

2. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    You didn't get a cleaning/unjamming rod with your gun?

Use pieces of cotton. Get an old t-shirt made from 100% cotton and cut little strips.

I use rubbing alcohol. Just make sure when you clean it you just shove it all the way through and not back and forth. That just gets the crap everywhere...

3. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

No cleaning rod, I got a G&P.

I'll give alcohol a try, it won't eat away inside the barrel?

4. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    Barrel is fine. Keep doing it until the patch comes out spotless and when you look down the barrel you get the concentric circle optical illusion.

5. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Silicon oil shouldn't be used for inner barrels. Or at least if you do use it to clean the barrel, try to get as much of it out as possible. The problem is when you clean with oil/grease, it has a tendency of getting on your hop up. Your hop up NEEDS friction to work correctly, but oil reduces the amount of friction.
    So now instead of your BBs rolling against the nub, they're gliding and not spinning as much.
    With that said alcohol or water that's VERY LIGHTLY soaped.

6. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    No matter how you clean your barrel, make sure you turn your hop up off. Silicone will gunk up your bucking, but alcohol will eat through it over time. For that reason, I prefer to use silicone and, as theonlyBuster said, swab my barrel with a couple of dry patches after I run the wet ones through. I find that the silicone collects gunk really well and keeps it from scratching the soft brass.

The proper silicone to use:

http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSA5221

The lighter weight the better. Anything in the 10-20 range is fine.

7. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    As for a cleaning rod, a gun cleaning kit for a .22cal rifle works just fine. Most come with a loop to put the cleaning strips through. Some come with a nylon brush attachemtn, I have found this does an excellent job of removing the gunk without scrathing the barrel.

8. TheAirsoftTech

TheAirsoftTech New Member

I just use silicone oil, I do take the entire barrel assembly apart and hop-up .(including the bucking)
    So it's just the barrel left, and I don't have to worry about tearing the bucking. I'll probably be switching over to 100% alcohol to see how well it works.

9. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    I use a combination of both. First, I clean out using just plain, clean swabs, then I use rubbing alcohol, but I remove all of my hop up. I let it dry overnight, and use a little bit of silicon, combined with a lot of dry swabs. It works very well for me.

10. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    I'd be careful about running dry swabs first. If you have anything abrasive in the barrel, a dry swab can scrape it along the surface and put a nice gouge in your barrel. The lubrication added by using a fluid--silicone and alcohol will have the same effect--creates less friction and allows little bits of dirt and sand to slide out without digging into the metal.

11. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
    I also need an unjamming rod. Where can I get one with the loop?

12. TheAirsoftTech

TheAirsoftTech New Member

You can buy them at just about any Airsoft store.

13. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

Thanks for all the great input guys. Ordering supplies as we speak.

14. King-Witt

King-Witt Member

Wood River
    So, I've never really heard of it being done, but would CLP work for cleaning the inner barrel? Works well for real steel, so I'm just curious.