SkyRC e6680 balancing issue.

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by Lefse, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hi, are there any other people on the forum that has this charger? I was very pleased with it at first, but lately it's taking forever to balance my li-po's. It can use as much as 2-3 hours just to balance a li-po pack. I bought this charger because I wanted something that could charge my li-po's faster than my old Firefox basic balance charger, but ironically the new charger is taking longer to charge them. :confused:

Edit: I compared the two chargers with identical battery packs, and the SkyRc charger does balance the cells alot more accurately, I guess that's why it takes so long? It does balance the cells within a few hundreds of a volt, so it's balancing them properly but it does take some time to balance the batteries, I guess maybe I just have to be more patient...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  2. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm bumping this thread to come with a little warning: I'm not sure if my charger is just a lemon or if these chargers are just poorly designed, but my charger just did a big no-no. It charged one of my new Turnigy 11.1v li-pos to these cell voltages: 4.08, 4.08 and 4.42! That's not just an unacceptable deviation, it overcharged one of the cells. I manually stopped it before doing the measurement, so if I hadn't stopped it, who knows how far it would have gone?

Is there really nobody besides me on this forum that his this charger? It would be very interesting to hear about others' experience with this charger.

Update: It seems like it may be the battery that's the issue here, my old Firefox basic balance charger wouldn't even charge it completely, I think maybe they haven't balanced the cell properly at the factory and this is giving my chargers a challenge.

Another update: It appears one of the two Turnigy Nanotech 11.1v 40C 1400mAh packs I recently bought has some weird issue with one of it's cells. When I monitor the cell votlages I can see one of the cells vary much more in voltage than the other two, as if it had a much lower internal resistance or something. This doesn't happen with the other identical li-po pack, so it seems like the charger wasn't the issue after all. The culprit here is apparently my usual luck with parts and accessories. The li-po pack seems to function normally and doesn't heat up or anything so I'll just use it but keep an eye on it, maybe it will even out after some usage.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012