Sling Mount Questions

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Kulprit, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Kulprit

Kulprit New Member

Ok guys so I am looking to get a sling for my gun. I am thinking a 1pt sling but truth is I really am not certain on much having never used one before.

I need to get a rear mount plate for a 1pt sling and I can't decide if I should go for one that's "ambidextrous" so I can easily swing the gun from either hand when in CQB like this:

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_110&products_id=33058

Or just a standard plate with the holes type of setup where the mount is more permanant like this:

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_110&products_id=33738

I just used those links as quick examples, I haven't really looked into exactly which one I want, so open to suggestions.

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    Get the Magpul sling plate. It's a really great piece. I've used it in real steel shooting and it makes life so much easier.

3. Kulprit

Kulprit New Member

Thanks man appreciate the feedback.

Seemed in theory to make sense to pay a few bucks more for the ambi type but wasn't sure if in practical use it worked out that way.

Magpul it is.

4. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Yay! MagPul! Lol. My hk416 GBBR is going to have one, so let me know how it is?

5. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    That magpul is the most ideal. I have a real steel tapco version that is very similar on my VFC416 AEG. I know when I play CQB I'm doing a lot of shoulder changes depending on which side the corner is that I'm Pieing. (I'm probably going to swap my tapco one out for the magpul one as the ring will give me a little more maneuverability with my sling)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  6. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
    I'm just gonna say shoe string.

7. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Flocktome,

If you're not going to add anything constructive to the conversation, please don't join in. And if that was a serious comment, you're in way over your head. It would be best to take some time to learn about this stuff before you reply.

8. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
    Your suggesting a 30$ sling mount. I'm suggesting another method to attach a sling. We can't all be made of money.

9. Knief

Ann Arbor
    If the guy was asking for the cheapest option, paracord would be a great suggestion. He's not. He linked to two sling plates around the same price range. Clearly, he's okay paying that amount for a decent piece of equipment. It's not about being made of money, it's about paying a reasonable price for a product that offers great functionality or rigging something up at home that works like crap. When somebody already has their eye and wallet on a quality product, a shoelace is a joke of a suggestion.

10. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
    The shoe lace was paracord. It works perfect. Either way he is getting a sling mount.

11. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    You said shoelace, not paracord. Paracord isn't perfect for a sling mount. Sure, it works, but it definitely does not work as well as a specific solution for a specific problem. It's also not as efficient.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  12. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
    It was hiking boot shoelace. It was very much like paracord. I used it because I didn't want to go online and purchase a 10$ sling mount and pay for shipping. Paracord is like ductape.

13. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    You told him to get a shoelace to do so. You didn't specify where from or anything. Your argument is invalid due to the fact that there are many types of shoelaces. Please stop arguing. Your point is bad. I never said paracord doesn't work. I use paracord for a lot of things.

14. Knief

Ann Arbor
    At some point, Archer, we have to accept that some members aren't going to see the difference between a shoelace and a Magpul sling plate. It's time to move on before we both get brain damage from banging our heads into this wall.

15. Squirrel8811

Squirrel8811 New Member

You wont be dissapointed with the magpul. I love mine. It makes switching shoulders very smooth.

16. Kulprit

Kulprit New Member

I went ahead and ordered the Magpul ambidextrous mount.

I balanced that out by ordering like an $8 Flyye 1pt sling with it. Having never used one before I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for so figure this will be a good way to figure it out.

Had my eye on the Magpul sling that can be a 1pt or easily switch to 2pt too but decided to hold off till I get some hands on experience.

17. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    I think 1 point is ideal for action... 2 point is good if you want to wear it on your back or something, but ideally it's just as safety so you dont loose your weapon. Typically you dont want to just hang your rifle, you should have your hand on the grip, finger extended and not on the trigger. Keeping yourself a 'hard target'.

18. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz Active Member

Sioux City
    Magpul and Flyye in the same post. That always sounds good. I need to buck up and put an ASAP on my MK18. It irritates me beyond belief to not have a sling setup.

19. Kulprit

Kulprit New Member

Dude I still can't find that G&P barrell nut so I may have to scrap the entire Daniel Defense rail etc and thus the MK18 build I wanted to do. :(

20. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Actually, you can Rethread the receiver with a die tool. The thread size/pitch will be M31.8x1.5. Madbull sells one specifically for this IIRC.