Sniper Rifle for my son

Discussion in 'Sniper Rifles' started by jarhead88, Nov 7, 2012.

1. jarhead88

jarhead88 New Member

new york
    I was out with my son using my M28 (which i just fixed) and he was having a ball with it..we were hitting targets, knocking down cans....it was great.... the problem is that it is very hard for him to pull the bolt back.... I loved being out there with him doing it and I would really like to get him one for Christmas. He is a small 12 year old and loves airsoft, we go indoor CQB mostly...

My question is what would be the best sniper to get him that would not be a hard pull, fairly accurate, quality build and leaves possibilities for future upgrading. He likes the way the L96 looks, looking in the $120-150 range... looking for the best platform for future upgrades.

I am not opposed to getting something you suggest that is quality and all i have to do is put a lower rated spring for him to be able to pull back...

what do you guys think? thanks

2. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

Look into the WELL MB series rifles. They are in your price range, and I am fairly certain they are Maruzen or APS-2 compatible, so if he wanted to upgrade it in the future he could. If you would like a little better quality get the UTG MK96. It is a little over your budget(around $170) but is of good quality and has many many aftermarket upgrades available. Both should have a low enough spring that he could pull it back. If you want to, you could do a couple of DIY mods for it as well, and bring up the performance a bit.

WELL MB:
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/advanced_s...s=Well+MB&categories_id=&x=0&y=0&inc_subcat=1

You could also look into a JG BAR-10, also has many after market parts available, in your price range. I do not know as much about them as L96's so hopefully someone else will reply as well.

JG BAR-10:
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=2493

Happy Sniping!

3. DRAGON64

DRAGON64 New Member

The JG BAR-10 series would be lighter for a 12 yr old, and the JG BAR-10 G-Spec would be light, accurate, and have the cool factor of having a mock silencer on it. Should you choose, the G-Spec is highly upgradeable as well...

Airsoft GI has the G-Spec and scope combo for $145 and Evike has just the G-Spec for $115 Both qualify for free shipping at either retailer.

4. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    If you can find one on the classifieds, get the KJW M700. there is no spring to pull back in the bolt as its all gas powered. I picked on up on here for $125 a while back so it is possible. They are nice rifles. If you change over to an air rig for it youlll also get consistency in your shots...
    the UTG L96 is a great rifle but it also is a little big. Im not sure how big your son is but the stock alone is a bit big for some full grown people. You can pick those up for cheap on here and if you can do it, change the spring and he will be set to go.

5. covertslayer

covertslayer New Member

Aurora
    One thing I don't understand, you say you mostly play indoor CQB and you want a sniper rifle. Do you want to start playing outside or are you trying to humiliate other CQB players by killing them with a bolt-action monstrosity?

But yeah, if you want light and easy, I'd go with the JG bar-10 and downgrade the spring. Personally, I'm with your son on how the L96 looks, but bar-10's are pretty light.

6. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

I believe he just wants it for target shooting, as a father son bonding activity.

7. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    A KJW M700 is your best bet. (I have one for sale right now and its in your budget...)

Having owned two KJW M700s I can say they are wonderful rifles. Plus its more realistic then a spring rifle.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  8. wolf00

wolf00 New Member

The echo 1 asr has a medium/easy pullback its 110$ and its a great gun, look into it

9. jarhead88

jarhead88 New Member

new york
    haha i mentioned the cqb just to say he is really into it and we are avid airsofters.... the sniper will be used for just shooting around in the back yard and in the field with friends when we are playing outdoors...

10. jarhead88

jarhead88 New Member

new york
    yes!!!!!!!!!! that is a big part of it.... it was just really cool being with him and he was so into it... I was in heaven just hanging with him....

FYI.. my kids got me into airsoft now I am more into it then them..haha

11. jarhead88

jarhead88 New Member

new york
    On the gas KJW... we are doing this a lot in the winter when i am off from work more, summers are busy, so that is out....thanks though...

The bar looks nice but if i were to go up in budget a little to the UTG L96.. would that be my best bet....? I was looking at that ....

12. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

Stock I think they will perform roughly the same, and both can be upgraded very well, so it comes down to budget and preference on looks.

Also, just a quick side note, rather than triple posting edit your last post before a response. Just a little tip, no harm done by it, just makes it easier to reply.

If you have any questions regarding upgrading the UTG send me a PM and Ill tell you what I know, even if you arent planning on upgrading soon its sometimes good to know whats available.

Happy sniping, and I hope your son has a lot of fun!

13. DRAGON64

DRAGON64 New Member

If you get the UTG, then get a good sling, because that this will get heavy... do not use the supplied sling, as it will not stand the test of time... get a good! sling!

My son and I purchased dual WELL MB01 (L96) rifles together. It was a bonding experience, which also got us into airsoft. He is 18 now, and I am looking at getting him his first rimfire... cherish the time while you have it.

14. RainbowAirsoft

RainbowAirsoft New Member

Gas guns are easy to pull back but only perform good in heated conditions and lose about 10 or more fps after every shot... Springs are good for cool and hot weather. If u want a spring sniper I would recommend the a&k dragunov and for a gas sniper I would recommend the G&G l96

15. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Lol. My gas sniper RIFLE works fine in the winter, and it's FPS deviation is no more than 4. It's called an HPA rig. If you want a spring rifle, I suggest you save up to make it perform a bit better and have better durability. Gas rifles just need their bucking replaced, an HPA rig, and some tuning and it's good to go. The KJW M700 is a good choice. It's what I built my M40 off of.

16. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    My DSR-1 has fps deviation of roughly +/-4 without HPA on the first 10 shots :p

17. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Lol. I'll get her there eventually :p. I have a small leak on my air leak I've noticed.

18. jarhead88

jarhead88 New Member

new york
    thanks for all the help, I will probably go the extra and get the UTG L96, it seems to be worth it..

What are the DYI things I can do to help it perform better?

19. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

Fine tuning hop-up, getting a complete air seal, better spacers, not so much a DIY but you could install a IR or IER hop.

20. jarhead88

jarhead88 New Member

new york
    will do, i will be getting him that UTG L96... he is pumped, just came in from shooting in the yard... Look forward to getting in for him... so he can shoot on his own... with mine he has to two hand the bolt back or I do it.....
    thanks