Sniper rifle or dmr?

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by matthewzguitarz, Dec 17, 2012.

1. matthewzguitarz

matthewzguitarz New Member

anza
    I have been thinking a lot about what gun I should order. I think I would like a dmr or sniper rifle, but have no idea what is better for a budget of $250 maybe $300.

For a sniper rifle I was thinking of the utg mk96. Or for the dmr I was thinking of either the jg m4 s-system, the ks p90, or some other gun like that. For whatever one I end up getting, I will order a 6.08 or 6.03 TBB, maybe a mock silencer, some .30 bbs, and whatever else I would need.

Also I love the bullpup type of guns.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. tasgal

tasgal New Member

Richmond
    I faced the same situation as you. I picked DMR. My reasons:
    1. I play mostly in wooded areas, so a DMR and Sniper rifle will have the same effective range. Branches etc in the way.
    2. Single shot on DMR at range, full auto if i need if they get to close..which they shouldn't.
    3. I use a Aug A3 so the design allows me to go CQB if need be, but works great in field games with the long barrel.
    Hope this helps

3. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

DMRs have way more flexibility than BASRs. Unless you are dead set on the sniper role, get a DMR. Although that role also takes some dedication.

4. matthewzguitarz

anza
    What would be a good base for a dmr?

5. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

M16, M14, SR25, AUG, take your pick.

6. matthewzguitarz

anza
    I was thinking about the jg m4 s-system?

7. averageairsofter

averageairsofter New Member

Menifee
    That will be a fine weapon for a dmr build and give you plenty of money fir upgrades.

8. BRTSoloWing

BRTSoloWing Active Member

China Grove
    Umm DMRs are single shot only. So your actually asking for a base AEG right?

9. Napple

Napple New Member

In the real world they are semi only... If he's playing backyard wars only then he can switch to full auto if he feels like it

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  10. BlackJack

BlackJack New Member

Gettysburg
    I'm glad that everyone steered you in the DMR direction. While the DMR role does take some devotion, it is less involved than the Sniper role.

Here’s a Sniping 101 thread… check it out.
    http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f37/so-you-want-airsoft-sniper-101-a-2561/

When it comes to price... DMR is the cheaper of the two rifles. A quality sniper rifle is a lot more expensive than you might think. With your price range, a fairly good DMR can be built.

Here’s a Sniper Rifle Build thread.
    http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f9/how-choose-sniper-rifle-get-proper-help-23389/

When it comes to the actual DMR build, there are several classic frames to work with. The M14, SVD, AUG, TAR-21, M16 (and its variants), along with many others, make great DMR platforms.

11. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    A DMR is going to be shooting from 450 -500 FPS.
    For basic safety reasons, (and wear and tear on your GB), you should have full automatic disabled.

12. tasgal

tasgal New Member

Richmond
    From my understanding some fields will only allow Bolt actions to be over 400/420fps. So you could have a DMR that shoots 400 FPS ish.

13. Napple

Napple New Member

Does not mean it's a law to have it disabled. I dont use full auto on my dmr, im just saying

14. BRTSoloWing

BRTSoloWing Active Member

China Grove
    Yes, but the full auto has to be disabled.

15. MrGoodkat

MrGoodkat New Member

If the full auto isn't disabled isn't it just a BR?

16. Party

Party New Member

Linköping
    I personally choosed to make a DMR instead of a sniper rifle. The biggest reason for that is simply that I want to be able to shot more than one shot before the enemy can react. Either shooting more than one BB at a target or taking out 2 or perhaps even 3 targets before they take cover. It is also harder to overrun a DM since he doesn't have to manually reload between every shot. Players with normal AEG:s will not be able to run towards the DM without getting several shots fired at him.

A negative thing with an electric powered DM is that it can sound a lot but it is possible to minimize the sound but it will still be there. I have also read that a DMR can be tricky and it takes a good tech to be able to manage it but that didn't scare me of and shouldn't scare you, there is always someone that can help out.

17. Urban_ART

Urban_ART New Member

I would go with a DMR.

18. matthewzguitarz

anza
    I was planning on disabling full auto because I see it as useless anyways. And yeah, I am going to have at most 450 fps, 500 sounds dangerous.

19. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

It isn't useless, it's just overused.

20. matthewzguitarz

anza
    What would be more useful for a dmr, an acog or a scope?