Sniping?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by alterh21, Jul 21, 2012.

1. alterh21

alterh21 New Member

Orange County
    Hey, I am thinking of getting a TM vsr 10 spring sniper and I was wondering if sniping is realistic at all ( if that is the rite word). What I mean is, does the bb even go where you shoot it? Does the hop up play a HUGE role in sniping? Is it hard to zero in the scope? I also want an actual airsoft sniper answering this, not someone that just stumbled upon this thread and has no experience in sniping. So if you are a sniper, please answer this!!

2. Retrospection

Retrospection Member

Kimballton
    Well I'm not a sniper, however, its possible to sight in good(if that makes sense). My friend has a sniper and the shot was 500ft through woodland turf. He swore he was aiming between my eyes and the actual shot was on the crevice of the right side of my nose, not even 3in away. So I'd say he got it pretty accurate. However I do not know if the fact that he maxed out in upgrades effected this. My point though is it has to be possible to be really accurate and almost scope on. (If that makes sense).

3. Lone_Sausage5

Lone_Sausage5 New Member

Meadville
    Hello, I don't really know what you mean by realistic but I will answer all your questions. Sighting in an airsoft sniper rifle isn't hard but it takes time. Also the hop up plays a major rule with sighting it in and consistant shooting. But if you do buy a sniper rifle and upgrade the heck out of it, it isn't going to be dead on accurate like a real sniper rifle because the barrel isn't riffled which gives the bullet a perfect spin. You will have a flyer every once in a while, but if you do upgrade it and put in a good hop up it will be very consistant.

4. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    Hi, before you get into sniping, read this:
    http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f9/how-choose-sniper-rifle-get-proper-help-23389/
    http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f23/sniper-load-out-basic-info-24466/
    http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f9/upgrading-spring-sniper-think-twice-16601/

If you gun is properly tweaked and set up, the bb does go wherever you want. The scopes are not really hard to sight in, but need some patience.

There are people which you should not listen, like this person:
    It is not possible to make a 500 feet shot.

5. Lone_Sausage5

Lone_Sausage5 New Member

Meadville
    Yeah I don't think a airsift gun can go 500 feet. Don't listen to him. I've actually ranged my furthest kill and it was 116 yards ranged with a range finder.

6. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Check out HS5s quarter mile project then.

7. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    Uh uh. Project. Did HS5 actually already publish some information about it?

8. Lone_Sausage5

Lone_Sausage5 New Member

Meadville
    Yeah I just looked it up nothing says he has did it yet. He's just working on a gun and hoping to get that range. And it will probably take him a while because he works on so many guns.

9. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Well, keep tabs on it. 500 feet should be easy with the gun he is using.

10. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    Can you share that information with us? What gun does he have? What were the conditions of the shot? How did he achieve that?

11. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

500 feet is a major challenge, but not impossible. There has been a significant advancement in hop-up systems the last few years. 300 feet effective range isn't really considered extreme anymore. I can imagine a HPA sniper with a perfectly installed ER-hop shooting 0.40g+ bb's could achieve range like that if everything is perfectly tuned. 500 feet is a huge challenge though, even for veteran techs, physics becomes your worst enemy at ranges like that.

12. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    Well, I am getting effective ranges of 350+ feet with a spring sniper rifle, but I have yet to see the first person to get at the 500 mark.

13. soviet

soviet Active Member

Yep your screwed. Shiftys one of the top snipers here. And maybe your just measuring wrong.

14. TheChosenOne94

TheChosenOne94 New Member

As to the original question: I've found that being a good sniper really requires a huge amount of instinct and "hunter's" sense. If you don't have it, you never will.

You can get the gun sighted in correctly (with a lot of time involved), but you cannot be effective with it without the proper skill-set. Frankly it's a lot easier to be a successful infantryman in Airsoft than an effective sniper.

My 2cents.

15. Adman234

Adman234 Active Member

Wildwood
    1. "Quarter mile project" is a name. 1/4 of a mile is 1320 feet!!! The name just implies that the gun is long range.
    2. The gun he is using is an unregulated polarstar with darts, shooting over 1200 feet per second. Not really even airsoft.
    3. Shifty has a great rifle, he's a great guy, great sniper, etc. very helpful. But that does not mean you can bash other members because they claim something he has never seen!!!
    4. Nobody has implied accuracy at range. I have a gun that can shoot 500 feet. But can I hit a person at that range? NO. So anybody's claim to range is really not justifiable without a grouping size given with the range.
    5. I beleive, that with .66 BBs, an NBB HPA rifle running ER-HOP and a perfectly stabilized barrel can reach 500 feet. Have I done it? No. Have anyone else? Probably.

16. Retrospection

Retrospection Member

Kimballton
    The distance that i stated was an exaggeration... it was more between 250-350ft...

17. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    Well, why would you do that? Why would you lie to someone who needs help?

18. Retrospection

Retrospection Member

Kimballton
    I'm sorry, my point was your gun is as accurate as you can make it, I wasn't trying to lie. Sorry.

19. JTFox

JTFox New Member

Im new to the sniper position on my team, but ive had some good exp so i think I may be able to provide a little insight.
    Currently im using a stock Mauser SR Pro. I can hit a man-size target at about 200ft. (The bucking is pretty damaged and i havent found a replacement for it yet.)
    Its not fantastic by any means, but I was still able to take out two targets before having to move in a game today. The gimped range I have is still doable if you pick proper spots and have the patience for it. Thats really (in my opinion) what it takes to be a good sniper.
    Basically what im trying to say is that its not the gun that makes a sniper great, it the sniper himself. Even thou a great sniper rifle dosent hurt. :)
    As for a VSR-10, I personally would buy it.(the TM if you have the cash) Its fully upgradable with easy to find parts because they are popular rifles.
    I just ordered a JG BAR-10. (JGs. Version of the VSR-10) With it a laylax 6.03 barrel and a Nine Ball bucking. And Ill probally be looking at hitting a man size target at 300-350ft range. (hopefully)
    But to really answer the question, its airsoft, not the real steel weapon. Its not going to be realistic in the sense your looking for. Ive seen upgraded aegs out preform some good sniper rifles in range and accuracy.
    Anyways, thats all the info I can spit out.

Edit: Please dont misinderstand me when i say ive seen upgraded aegs out preform some sniper rifles. Its possible, but typically a sniper rifle will be able to out range an aeg. Plus as a sniper you have stealth going for you. If you decide to take up the honorary role of a sniper, get a nice ghillie or make one, also ghillie your gun. Be a shadow!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  20. Ronnokk

Ronnokk New Member

Vacaville
    The range of a sniper is very limited in airsoft, so it is not nearly as realistic as you may think it would be.