So what counts as a machine gun?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by fradd, Oct 11, 2012.

1. fradd

fradd New Member

I sometimes hear beginners or noobs calling an M4 or an AK47 a "machine gun". I then tell them it's not a machine gun, and it's an assault rifle.

I was on Yahoo Answers answering some airsoft question, and I said how the M249 was a type of machine gun, whereas the M4 is an assault rifle, and not called a machine gun necessarily.

Then someone said this: "LOL the guy below me is a ******. the first one is a LIGHT MACHINE GUN (The m249) while the M4 he listed is a Assult rifle (still a machine gun). Again, they are both machine guns just different types."

So what is a machine gun?

2. Inceptor57

Inceptor57 New Member

San Ramon
    A machine gun in today's term is a designated firearm dedicated for support and automatic fire. It may be loaded with a belt or magazine.

M4s and AKs aren't officially called machine guns because they are meant for single accurate fire. M249/M240 are considered machine guns because of their roles on automatic fire. This is also why fields do not consider the airsoft rifles with huge box magazines as machine guns.

Also the M249 is considered a LIGHT machine gun because it is meant to be operated by a single soldier. A medium or general-purpose machine gun like the M240 is usually operated by two or more soldiers

I'm not an expert, but this is what I know.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

3. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    An M4 with just semi-auto is a rifle. An M4 with auto and semi-auto is an assault rifle. Even if you had a 100 round drumb magazine, it's still an assault rifle. That guy's talking out his @$$.

4. Darksoldier

Darksoldier New Member

Caddo Mills
    Yes there is a difference between a rifle and a "Machine Gun". Like you stated a light machine gun is normally a S.A.W. (squad automatic weapon). Normally a machine gun is mounted on for say a helicopter, or some sort of support.

5. assasin6547

assasin6547 New Member

Broomfield
    I would say a heavy machine gun should be of at least .50 cal, and a light machine gun around .30. The only reason noobs call m4s and Aks machine guns is because traditionally "machine guns" are automatic, and assault rifles were not well developed until the 1950s.

6. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    Germans were the first to use Assault rifles in WWII. Then the AK47 in 1947.

7. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    Legally, anything that can fire more than one bullet from a single trigger pull is classified as a machine gun.

Don't believe me? Look it up.

8. Grudge

Grudge New Member

Winnipeg
    Not everywhere. Some places like Canada have much better defined classifications.

9. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    No. You make a positive claim, you provide the evidence. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. This goes for everything in life, not just silly arguments about somewhat trivial and flexible definitions.

10. Tendrop

Tendrop New Member

Baltimore
    He is right, though. The ATF's pretty retarded that way. Have a double-barrel that fires both barrels with one trigger pull? Machinegun. Tie a shoestring to the charging handle of any gun with a right-side charging handle, wrap the shoestring around the trigger and pull. The shoestring is now a machinegun and you can serve 10 years in prison for having it.
    Attach a stock to a Glock, you now have a short-barreled rifle and it'll cost you 10 years in prison.
    Attach a foregrip to a Glock, you now have an "any other weapon" and it'll cost you 10 years in prison.

11. Mel

Mel New Member

Marietta
    I laughed at the shoestring and the foregrip ones.

12. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    Sorry. I was on my mobile and it doesn't like M4Carbine forums where I got my info.

13. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    A machine gun is a firearm chambered in rifle amunition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_gun

Don't all two-barelled shotguns have two triggers? Doesn't that make them semi-automatic only? An automatic firearm is a firearm where you you just hold the trigger and the gun shoots one bullet after another.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  14. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    (b) Machinegun
    The term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

This is what I was going off of from Cornell University.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/5845

15. Dante

Dante New Member

Omaha
    the ll defition of a machine gun is any weapon that can fire in a fully automatic mode.

ie:M4 AK47 M60 M240 .30cal LMG .50cal HB MG MP5 G18 TMP 20MM autocannon etc.

the size of the round does not matter for example

the M249 and the AK47 listed above both fire a 7.62 round in real life and both fire a 6mm BB in airsoft. while an AK is referred to as an assault rifle an RPK is just a larger AK with a bipod and a longer barrel.

GMSN TommyGuns

16. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    For the sake of correctness:
    AK-47: 7.62x39 mm
    M249: 5.56x45 mm

Not only does the RPK have a longer barrel, but has a slightly modified mechanism to better withstand the fully automatic fire.

17. Rigby24

Rigby24 New Member

No I have a shotgun with two barrels that only has one trigger. How it works is you pull it lightly and it shoots the right barrel the pull it harder to shoot the left. You can though just make one long pull and both will shoot at about the same time.