Airsoft Forum banner
401 - 420 of 424 Posts

· Registered
11,376 Posts
Trying to imagine ever finding a used truck with mileage like that for under $3k over here in CA, I swear used prices never gonna go down here, jealous haha
Still have to dump about $8k into it to be where I want it, but for a starting base it was a great deal

· Registered
727 Posts
I've used a matrix one with a silent cylinder head; sounded nice, but piston assembly got a bit heavy. Also IME can't say it was really that silent, more of a "softer" sounding slap, YMMV.

· Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Just thought the marketing on this one was funny, but on a serious note - not a whole lot as far as i'm aware. They are thicker which gives you better AOE without special effort, but as you say they are also heavier which limits the application... Sound-wise, vs a good sorbo pad there's not much difference that I've noticed. Mushrooms are supposed to be a bit more durable though, might hold up longer in a DMR type build?

· Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Yep, gonna be a less than perfect balance job and will be running pretty quick - will take every trick in the book to keep together. Probably a light epoxy in the right spots will be good enough. Rewound it this morning to 9tpa, got the windings a bit tighter - 10t fit but only just, wanted a little more wiggle room to balance (I try to avoid drilling).

Runs quick and hot as you'd expect, thicker magnet wire means less resistance and more current which results in a stronger magnetic field relative to thinner wire... but also way more heat. Tried to check rpm on 2s but my laser tachometer couldn't read it, to fast.

Kinda just tinkering to see what happens IRT the thread revisiting high speed + high ratio vs high torque + low ratio. Last time I tried something like this was on NiMH, want to make sure my opinions aren't outdated :unsure:

· Registered
727 Posts
Well I found this absolutely laughable description of the Aztech Innovations 10:1 Gears on Evike:
"10.04:01 ratio gears are the fastest we can go in single sector. On a fast motor you can run up to around 51-55 rps on a single sector gear. That's faster than most DSG builds with out the dramas of everything dual sector gears bring"
Interestingly enough, Aztech doesn't even carry these gears on their own website, but they're on Evike? It's because of that I can't figure out who made the description - Aztech or Evike. They're actually claiming that a 50 RPS SSG is less complicated than a 50 RPS DSG. And how do you get this ROF on an SSG, you might ask? According to the description: "50000rpm motors for high 50s to 60 rps." There'd be enough heat in the motor grip to warm your entire house.

· Administrator
12,082 Posts
A 50K motor is a ferrite motor.

This is why I totally abhor any Airsoft Propaganda...can we sue them for false advertising?

· Registered
1,056 Posts
"Short-Stroked 4 teeth for a shorter pickup..."

Image shows the typical 16-tooth design...
A set of Seigeteks is still cheaper than those, and arguably better built. I wonder if they take into account the fact that to hit 55-60 rps, the spring you'd need would be at least a 140 to avoid PME on a full-stroke setup.

(But of course they don't)

And with that your rps target is long gone on a 50k motor; and as others have said your motor can then heat your house - assuming it doesn't turn into a molten ball of plasma first.

· Administrator
12,082 Posts
I would say the front of the mechbox would fail too. Most aren't rated to get beat that often by such a heavy spring...

· Registered
727 Posts
Well with a DSG you lose at least 27% of your fps, and that's with an 8 tooth. A quad-sector has 3 teeth, so that's like a 70%+ fps drop? 800 FPS * .3 is 240fps ≈ 0.5 joules. Ok 800 seems a bit high, maybe my percent fps drop is too big. Maybe more like 60% fps loss, so 600 fps spring? This might not even be a directly proportional sort of thing.

· Premium Member
1,104 Posts
heh Maekiii threw that on his shapeway a little while ago, been staring at it for the last couple weeks. Spring is easy, would just run spacers. Volume though... idk about this one. I'll probably try it since it exists :whistle:

· Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Already have, cycles w/o issue on 2s other than ~200fps due to sp150 being the highest I had on hand. In hind sight I could have just added some spacers but was going into a holiday so ordered/waiting on a sp170 before a field test.

· Administrator
12,082 Posts
There is a point of diminishing returns...

401 - 420 of 424 Posts