So What's Up Peasants Pt. 2, the Redux.

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by Shady, May 24, 2019.

1. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    The train of thought/planned use of this kind of training in a civilian context is that some event happens, you respond and either you or someone else you find has massive blood loss, piercing wound or massive body trauma. How do you get them to live long enough to make it to a hospital?

From what I’ve heard from guys who have taken a MARCH/Stop the Bleed/TCCC class in person the course instructors are happy to play the “what if” game with the students during breaks and after class to further help them understand what kind of situational awareness is needed for this kind of medical care.

I’ve read some stuff recently that made a strong case against the prevailing idea that TQ’s are responsible for the loss of a limb.
    They point out that in a lot of cases the trauma that caused the need for the TQ was the reason for the loss of limb and not just the TQ.
    I also saw it pointed out that in a military context a TQ could be on several hours before the patient gets to a place safe enough for further aid to be rendered, at which point the TQ is just as dangerous to the limb as the initial trauma.
    TQ’s certainly not the answer to everything, but it’s that bad of an idea to be ready to use one.
    This is why I want an in-person class though. I would like to find a decent set of instructors and pick their brains for half an hour.

I do have a very close friend who is EMT certified in the state of California and spent 8 months working in the Stockton and Fresno areas.
    EMT’s are field nurses for Paramedics.
    The course material has a much larger focus on the legal liabilities than one would initially think and a lot of the trauma stuff is suppose to be handled by the Paramedic leading the team with the EMT being there to support the care the Paramedic is providing to the patient.

If he has some solid recommendations for training groups and certifications for civilians that would be awesome.

brokenarrow likes this.
  2. interceptor

interceptor Active Member Supporting Member

Los Angeles
    It's true that the tourniquet itself doesn't cause the loss of a limb. Limbs are lost when they don't get enough blood/oxygen. Whether that's from blood loss from the initial wound or whether a tourniquet cuts off the blood supply, the result is the same. The point is to keep the blood pressure high enough to perfuse the brain, heart, kidneys, liver, etc.

If the blood loss from a limb is dropping the pressure enough to send a patient into shock, a tourniquet would be indicated. If blood is still getting to the limb, it's probably not tight enough. Also if you don't have a fancy trauma one like in the video (and they seem really nice), a belt cinched down really tight will work.

-Spitfire- likes this.

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Well-Known Member

Meadville
    IMG_6982.jpg

We added another fur baby over the weekend! Meet ivy!

aotsukisho likes this.
  4. Beetlebz

Beetlebz Well-Known Member

New Milford
    I cant stress enough how great it is to have *good* stop the bleed and TCCC for civilian classes available. Those classes really are gold. Sure EMT and EMT-P are great, if you don't use those skill sets a lot they get rusty. Stuff changes all the time and trying to remember the "numbers" and protocols for stuff you never use is damn near impossible. TCCC does a good job of whittling it down to the gems instead of drowning you in information and protocols.

Oh, and tourniquets aren't last resort anymore. If direct pressure doesn't work we go straight to TQ for limbs, packing for junctional wounds and vented occlusive dressings for sucking thoracic wounds. With that said its pretty rare that direct pressure doesn't work.

ETA: damn cute pupperino @broken

-Spitfire- and brokenarrow like this.
  5. covertConx

covertConx New Member

Forest Park

I forget ERs let people volunteer, would there be any extra requriements these days because of Covid-19? I would be interested in taking some hours in one

6. interceptor

interceptor Active Member Supporting Member

Los Angeles
    Not sure what the situation is post-COVID. They may be happy to have you given the need and short staffing or they may not allow volunteers to reduce exposure/liability.

Years ago, it was easy to volunteer. As long as you knew someone in the ER, you could just show up. However many hospitals now require the same on boarding as a regular employee. This would include Live Scanning, Health pre-screening and getting an ID.

You should either call the local ER or hospital administration to get more information. If you can, you might want to volunteer evening or graveyard shifts. It's slower so if you have questions, they have more time to spend with you. Also if you're interested in trauma, a lot seems to come in at night.

aotsukisho likes this.
  7. covertConx

covertConx New Member

Forest Park

I will talk to an ER this weekend and report back.

8. Beetlebz

New Milford
    You aren't wrong. I've never done a gun shot in the day light. Most of the bad wrecks happen at night too.

The reality is that treating trauma pre-hospital is pretty straight forward. The only way to get over the shock and awe is exposure and training. None of my local EDs here have volunteer programs anymore for liability reasons, its honestly a shame.

If you cant find a volunteer program most states have an EMR cert, its like EMT lite. The majority of small municipal volunteer or combination volunteer ambulance organizations would be happy to have an EMR to help out. Here in Connecticut they can complete a crew with an EMT. If you have access to a volunteer system, seek them out too imho.

Its a slippery slope though, once you get into it you quickly come to appreciate fascinating and challenging medical calls more than the traumas.

9. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    From ct here too. I didn't even know you can volunteer in the ed. Never went for the er nurse experience, but hearing about some of the nasty stuff they relay to me is very interesting. Something I won't see on the floor

10. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Hey all, I'm still alive. Probably moving back to texas here soon. Things in idaho are unfortunately what crap show after another, think it's time to bail.

brokenarrow likes this.
  11. Beetlebz

New Milford
    Happy to hear it! Been a long time shady. Incidentally I've been torn between kidnapping my wife and moving to Texas. How much would it cost to FedEx 3 horses? :D

12. brokenarrow

Meadville
    So I lost my job due to Covid slowing everything down... neat....

At least I can kinda breathe

13. danerd

danerd Well-Known Member

Ozark
    Sorry to hear that. My job search has turned up offers in places that are not good to be right in now.

On another note, I finished an application for Graduate School. Fingers crossed for good things to come out of that.

Chow and brokenarrow like this.
  14. brokenarrow

Meadville
    Update, I’m big dumb, acquired a new apartment Monday also

15. Raven1st

San Ramon valley
    Beetlebz likes this.
  16. Beetlebz

New Milford
    Dumb money but holy crap they're nice. I have been eyeballing their 30mm mounts for my truck since they launched them, but I'd need a second mortgage and a couch to sleep on.

17. Raven1st

San Ramon valley
    I was going to get one but the wait on restock was killing me, so I got a Unity FAST mount.

The 2.26 height over bore is so comfy and the built-in rear aperture is a nice feature.

18. Beetlebz

New Milford
    What are you putting it on, out of curiosity?

19. Raven1st

San Ramon valley
    An AR. The Unity mount weighs the same as a LEAP/MBUS setup and I have enough clearance under the sight to use the irons without any obstructions.

I still need to get it zeroed, being out of state 90% of the the last 6 weeks puts a damper on things.

20. Beetlebz

New Milford
    Ugh I feel your pain. The weeks have been long with covid. Im rounding 71 to 72 hours a week... doesn't leave much time for shooting. Well, that and ammo is unobtainium until November.