Socom Gear Noveske N4 10.5" vs KWA SR10 2GX

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Esoda, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Esoda

Esoda Member

Hey guys, I was wondering if some of you could give me some insight on a comparison of these two products.

Right now I'm using a TM FAMAS SV but I'm in the process of selling the gun as well as the mags etc. The range just wasn't up to my liking and I really don't feel comfortable taking apart the archaic design of the FAMAS to try and squeeze some more range out of it through upgrades.

I began looking at some M4 platforms as the accessibility of parts is much easier as well as finding people who know their way around the platform. I began looking at some higher end models that wouldn't need too much work to get them to work well out in field play. Probably the extent of my upgrading would be maybe a new hop up (or r-hop if I can find a tech that knows their way around one) and possibly a new barrel.

I was pretty set on the Socom Gear with its VFC internals which I've heard some pretty good things about, but then I started looking into KWA rifles and the reviews seem astounding for their stock performance.

So bottom line is I'm looking between these two rifles. My biggest criteria is accuracy, range, and longevity. I'm comfortable with upgrading the hop-up/barrel but I'd prefer to not mess with the gearbox. These are the two guns I'm eying.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_44_223&products_id=31648

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_44_729&products_id=32441

Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. GreenListerine

GreenListerine New Member

I've had both, I personally wasn't too impressed with the KWA.

3. Esoda

Esoda Member

Interesting. Mind if I ask what about the N4 you liked better than the KWA?

4. GreenListerine

GreenListerine New Member

The externals felt better to me, and look better. Sounded better. Gears (without the self-shimming), piston, piston head seemed better. Airseal was better.
    I only ran 1k rounds through the VFC before switching motor, gears, barrel, and bucking. The hop up unit is fine, even though its plastic.

Edit: the KWA was great; nothing against it. I just don't think it's worth what they are selling it for.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  5. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with VFC or KWA. They are both good products. Friends of mine love their VFC's. Unfortunately, I don't have one yet. That being said, I've had an SR10 for almost a year and half. Except when I took a "good" fall in the middle of a firefight an knocked one of the motor contacts loose, it never failed me. Even when the piston head o-ring dried out, I was still getting 380 fps (w/.20g bbs) out of it. When I first got it otb, it was shooting just under 400 fps.

Since I had to open the gearbox up to switch out the O-ring, I decided to go ahead and do some upgrading. I didn't have to do much. I just replaced the piston and piston head with SHS parts. I replaced the spring with with a Guarder SP110 spring and it was good to go. I didn't even have to replace the gears. That was about six months or so ago. I have since decided to run with 11.1v - 20c Lipos. So far, the gearbox is doing well. I did have to replace the stock motor about a month or so ago when it died on me. I hear that is a common problem with KWAs if you run anything more than a 7.4 lipo.

My point is that the KWA has lived up to its billing as being sturdy and reliable. Just make sure to install a MOSFET if you want to run lipos to protect your trigger contacts. That is just my experience though.

Accuracy is good with a 2g bucking. No problem hitting a man sized target out to 175 feet. I have also gotten hits out to 200 ft (much less often) with it as well.

6. Esoda

Esoda Member

7. rich635

rich635 Active Member

Los Angeles
    The N4 10.5" uses a 10.5" CQB-length barrel, includes a KX3 Noveske Compensator, and a fully licensed Noveske receiver. The G&P has a standard M4 length 14.5" barrel, and G&P trades. Internally, many argue G&P is better, many prefer VFC. Personally, I'd go for the N4, but that's mostly from externals. As for performance, they're around the same, G&P has some piston/gear problems, and VFC has self-shimming gears (some like them, some don't) and a clear plastic piston and hop-up (some don't care, some do). G&Ps usually have a higher ROF though.

8. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
  9. Esoda

Esoda Member

Awesome, and thanks for that in depth review Archer! Yours was shooting 430 though? That's a bit of a shame, I was hoping NOT to have to deal with changing springs to keep it in field limits (I hardly have any tech experience). Strange because on some reviews for the N4 10.5" that I was looking at people said theirs chrono'd between 380-390. The Daniel Defense Socom Gear internals are VFC as well correct?

10. TheLost

TheLost Conductor of the Poop Train Supporting Member

Columbus
    I'd go KWA. I've always had great results with them. I had an SR12 for awhile and it was amazing. Great accuracy and range out of the box. and the SR10 is just a smaller version, so you can expect similar results. and with a couple of simple, cheap mods, you can get some ridiculous range out of the gun.

11. thuperman15

thuperman15 New Member

Since you don't wanna mess with the gearbox go with the Kwa. I'm no fanboy but they are very durable on the inside and their motor is meh however in my experiences I've had some trouble with their receivers, they are sub par to me but as long as you don't abuse them they'll hold up. Their 2gx hop up assembly works well. Now for the socom gear (vfc model) I don't have much experience with them but I always hear good things from their products they are not god guns though they have flaws like any other gun

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  12. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    KWA's 2GX hop up is over rated. I got a DBOYs M4 shooting further by flat hopping. I didn't change out any parts besides the hop up nub (made my own flat nub). Go for the VFC/SOCOM Gear. You will not be disappointed

13. thuperman15

thuperman15 New Member

Of course that's flat hopping I'm sayin in my experiences with stock buckings the 2gx is probably my favorite or tied with g&g

14. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Flat hopping is using a stock bucking. :rolleyes: You just shave off the little mound in the bucking.

15. thuperman15

thuperman15 New Member

Yea but I'm sayin a stock hop up without modification. Just tuning the stock hop up the best they can

16. TheLost

Columbus
    This is true, the KWA will shoot farther, and saying that the flat hop shooting farther... of course it will, a modified (custom) gun will just about always outperform a stock gun. That's like a law of airsoft physics lol unless of course your mod is crap and it ruins the gun. that's the next law of airsoft physics hah

17. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    I've gotten a stock hop up to shoot just as far, too. The KWA hop up is useless.

18. TheLost

Columbus
    But which brand gun? Because yes, there are stock hops that will shoot as far for sure, but I personally do not believe that the Dboys will shoot (stock) as far as the KWA will shoot (stock). That's all I'm saying, but if you have proof, by all means prove me wrong, because maybe Dboys has gotten better since I lasted used one (couple years ago), but I have no idea.

19. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    All I did was tune the hop up. You just have to know what you are doing. I can't really provide any proof as I don't own the gun anymore. If a JG or DBOYs comes in for me to work on, I'll be sure to tune it and show some proof. The range was around 200 feet or so. Most likely a bit less.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  20. TheLost

Columbus
    Dang, really? not too shabby hah if one does come in definitely post it, that sounds like it'd be a good conversation for people. I'm sure it'd start some sort of controversy though ;)